shape
carat
color
clarity

Help reading an IS image

LegacyJoe

Rough_Rock
This stone is far away from me so I asked for an ASET, and they said they could only get me an IS image, and it's attached. I've also attached the GIA cert and according to the AGA table this is an ideal cut, and they say 100% eye clean. When I look at the face up IS image it doesn't give me a ton of confidence, so can you please give me any insights?

Thanks!

IS face down.jpg

IS face up.jpg

GIA cert.jpg

18x mag 1.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you sure they even know how to use an Idealscope and what an idealscope is for?

There is no need to take a face down image of a princess. But looks like the face down image is actually the face up image.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure they don't have those reversed?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11 said:
Are you sure they even know how to use an Idealscope and what an idealscope is for?

There is no need to take a face down image of a princess. But looks like the face down image is actually the face up image.

The image descriptions are reversed as SC said, the faceup image is the second one. For better resolution the image needs to be cropped and color corrected for white balance.

However in red reflectors we can only see the presence or absence of leakage and obstruction, the resolution to determine if a diamond receives lighting from low angle weaker sources is difficult or impossible to determine from an Idealscope image.
For this reason in Princess cuts we prefer an ASET image which gives us this information http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

I would be concerned about whether this SI2 is eye clean to your standards. In addition If you are expecting this to be a top cut princess it will likely not be but the rough average proportions are okay and you would need more info like full sarin or ASET to dertemine its light return.

LegacyJoe

Rough_Rock
ChunkyCushionLover said:
I would be concerned about whether this SI2 is eye clean to your standards. In addition If you are expecting this to be a top cut princess it will likely not be but the rough average proportions are okay and you would need more info like full sarin or ASET to dertemine its light return.

What makes you doubt "this SI2" will not be eye clean? And I was expecting this to be a top cut based on the characteristics as given by AGS for their top (Ideal) cut, which are: table% 62%-68% (this is 67%), depth 64%-75% (this is 71%). What makes you think this will "likely not be" a top cut with only "okay" proportions? Is your concern from the pictures or something else?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS do not based their cut grade just on just table and depth proportion but on a ray-tracing simulation of the entire stone's proportion, so even if a stone falls within these proportions, there is a high chance that it will not receive the top cut grade.

LegacyJoe

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry, I wrote AGS when I meant AGA. Yes, I love the AGS reports where they show an ASET. But my question for CCL (or anyone knowledgeable here) is their impression about this particular stone. And what would lead them to think this is not a top cut?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results