shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please - which ring???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

9020v

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new here. I am looking for an engagement ring and need to purchase within the next two days.

I've found these two:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Ct-Round-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Wedding-Ring-SI_W0QQitemZ310211557445QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item483a0cb845

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=448366&pid=_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=705428

I like the setting of the first one better and I like the fact that it is bigger. The only thing that worries me is the SI3-I1 grading. It's not a deal breaker since size and setting is more important. I just want to make sure the price is fair.

Are both of these rings fairly priced? My main concern is that I don't pay more than it's worth. Any other suggestions for something that has this vintage/antique look in $2000-$3000 range?

Thanks for your help!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, the second link didn't work for me. Can you try it again? I do like the design of the first ring, but PLEASE don't buy that one! The center stone is an I1?!
32.gif
Unless you can look at the stone with your own eyes and see that it is eye clean, please skip it! Maybe we can help you find a similar setting somewhere else, then you can find a center stone to go with it?

Let me search around and see what I can find for you.

9020v

Rough_Rock

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
The stone is graded by EGL. Their grading criteria are much more lenient than AGS or GIA. For example, an EGL graded G might actually be an I or J. I believe the same holds true for their clarity grading also.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Stones- You said clarity isn''t important... but it IS!!! I tried to go a little higher (SI1-2) but still keep it relatively eye clean. Girls notice chunks in diamonds.
James Allen 1

James Allen 2

James Allen 3

Good Old Gold 1

Good Old Gold 2 (My fave...)

If none of these do it for you, i''m sure a pro will chime in and offer more help. (Ahem, Lorelei?)

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
How do you feel about lower colors? I would rather compromise on color than clarity, personally, especially when we start talking about carbon spots or clouds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2010 11:54:38 AM
Author: Tuckins1
Stones- You said clarity isn't important... but it IS!!! I tried to go a little higher (SI1-2) but still keep it relatively eye clean. Girls notice chunks in diamonds.
James Allen 1

James Allen 2

James Allen 3

Good Old Gold 1

If none of these do it for you, i'm sure a pro will chime in and offer more help. (Ahem, Lorelei?)
Tuckies, you are doing a great job!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

James Allen 1 and 3 have definite potential, request an Idealscope image for each and the report for the third if interested - also make sure they are eyeclean.

I really like GOG 2 also.

9020v

Rough_Rock
Those are all loose stones - do they have settings there too? Total purchase price needs to be sub $3000. I don''t know how much that setting I like is worth.

Order of importance for me/her is size, color, clarity.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2010 12:01:24 PM
Author: 9020v
Those are all loose stones - do they have settings there too? Total purchase price needs to be sub $3000. I don''t know how much that setting I like is worth.

Order of importance for me/her is size, color, clarity.
Yes, both James Allen and GOG can supply settings and complete the ring for you, GOG has access to many more settings than you see on the website so if you can''t see exactly what you are looking for, ask them.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestions so far!

Have you considered a halo? It gives the illusion of size, and since you say size = #1, and may be a great option.

You could do something like...

.612 ct G, SI1 H&A $1570 (wire price)

in this setting:

Halo Prong Set Engagement Ring ($1495 in WG)

9020v

Rough_Rock
Out of curiosity, how are the rings in my original two links priced? What would be a fair price to offer for the eBay one if I decide to get it? The one from Sam''s has great color and clarity, but I''m not wild about the setting and worry it might look kind of puny.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 1:38:58 PM
Out of curiosity, how are the rings in my original two links priced? What would be a fair price to offer for the eBay one if I decide to get it? The one from Sam's has great color and clarity, but I'm not wild about the setting and worry it might look kind of puny.

I'd recommend avoiding the eBay ring. There's no information on cut, nor are there pictures of the actual diamond. It could have huge black spots throughout, and if you want horror stories about trying to return rings to eBay vendors, just type "eBay" into the search box.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Out of curiosity, how are the rings in my original two links priced? What would be a fair price to offer for the eBay one if I decide to get it? The one from Sam''s has great color and clarity, but I''m not wild about the setting and worry it might look kind of puny.

Hey OP- I haven''t been able to view the ring from Sam''s... The link just takes me to Sam''s home page. Can you cut and paste a picture for us? The only thing I worry about is, again, the clarity of the center stone.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 12:00:31 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 4/6/2010 11:54:38 AM

Author: Tuckins1

Stones- You said clarity isn''t important... but it IS!!! I tried to go a little higher (SI1-2) but still keep it relatively eye clean. Girls notice chunks in diamonds.

James Allen 1

James Allen 2

James Allen 3

Good Old Gold 1

If none of these do it for you, i''m sure a pro will chime in and offer more help. (Ahem, Lorelei?)

Tuckies, you are doing a great job!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

James Allen 1 and 3 have definite potential, request an Idealscope image for each and the report for the third if interested - also make sure they are eyeclean.

I really like GOG 2 also.

Thanks Lorelei!
35.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 1:45:49 PM
Author: E B

I''d recommend avoiding the eBay ring. There''s no information on cut, nor are there pictures of the actual diamond. It could have huge black spots throughout, and if you want horror stories about trying to return rings to eBay vendors, just type ''eBay'' into the search box.
Ditto. You cannot underestimate the importance of high cut quality to the appearance of a diamond. It will look so much better if it is well cut, I cannot emphasize that enough.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiosity, did you like any of the designs that I linked for you? You could contact a trusted PS vendor and show them examples of the kind of thing you are looking for ans they could help you build the perfect ring!

9020v

Rough_Rock
I didn''t like any of the settings from James Allen. I emailed GOG with a link to the ebay ring and asked them if they had something similar in the SI range.

Assuming the ebay ring is a typical SI3-I1, is the price for the ring reasonable? I understand it is not advisable to buy the ring, but I am really trying to get an idea of pricing. If I could find something good on eBay, I could apply ebay''s 8% discount to it, and that would help out a lot.

To see the Sam''s ring, go to Google and type ".67 ct. t.w. Vintage-Style" without the quotes and hit the first result under shopping for $2800.

Thanks for all your help!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Do you need to have the ring in two days, or do you have some leeway?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a lot of money to spend in a big rush. There are no true deals out there, on ebay or otherwise. You really do get what you pay for.

If you want to shop on ebay then I suggest you shop for branded rings like Tiffany etc that have known and verifiable quality. But for almost 3k you can get a veyr nice ring from one of the vendors we mentioned and it will be good value for your money.

9020v

Rough_Rock
I''ve got no problem using a vendor here - I just want to make sure I get a fair price and get the most ring I can for my money. I need to have this ordered within the next two days. Finding the right setting is what''s holding me back. I''ve found plenty of .8-.9 ct round, h-j, si1/si2, non-ideal for around $1800-2000, which I think is about my sweet spot leaving me $1000 for the setting.

So far I can''t find a setting anywhere else that I like more than the one in that ebay listing.

Ugh, such a frustrating thing to purchase!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 4:02:54 PM
I''ve got no problem using a vendor here - I just want to make sure I get a fair price and get the most ring I can for my money. I need to have this ordered within the next two days. Finding the right setting is what''s holding me back. I''ve found plenty of .8-.9 ct round, h-j, si1/si2, non-ideal for around $1800-2000, which I think is about my sweet spot leaving me $1000 for the setting.

So far I can''t find a setting anywhere else that I like more than the one in that ebay listing.

Ugh, such a frustrating thing to purchase!
You will get a fair price and excellent value if you buy from an online PS vendor, this has been proven time and again over the years. You can get great deals on ebay, but you need time and lots of effort to do so.

Are you the wearer of the ring?

The ebay ring is probably not well made if it helps. Also, a picture and actually wearing the dang thing are two different things.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
If I may chime in.... a well cut diamond that sparkles will look bigger than a lifeless cloudy rock.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
the EGL grading is a concern. I would take time to find a good GIA graded stone.

9020v

Rough_Rock
It''s odd that the certificate says very good cut, but the website says premium. Is union diamond a recommended dealer?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The labels like "premium" don''t mean much, ignore them. All vendors use them but what matters is the cert.

The proportions are odd but they are ok for a 60/60 type of stone. Ask them for an idealscope if you want to consider it further.

Also ask them about the tint -- an I graded by EGL could be a K by GIA, which means a noticable tint. And check if it is eye clean. The price is very low for the carat weight and so I doubt it is eye clean.

Have you eliminated the suggestions above for some reason? You can get the setting from union and the stone from elsewhere.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 4:36:14 PM
It''s odd that the certificate says very good cut, but the website says premium. Is union diamond a recommended dealer?

The cut quality says "premium". The polish and symmetry say "very good". It looks like it will be a lovely combination, if it fits your specifications for setting and stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results