shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP PLEASE!! Strong Blue Flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YazNY

Rough_Rock
I just put a deposit down (non-refundable) on a 2.01 carat Radiant.

I left the stone to be mounted and I looked at the certificate and it says the stone has Strong Blue Flourescence.

Here is what the GIA certificate says...

Measurements 7.84 x 6.73 x 4.55mm
Weight 2.01

Proportions

Depth 67.6%
Table 69&
Girldle Medium to slightly thick
Cutlet NONE

Finish

Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Clarity VS1
Color Grade G
Flourescence Strong Blue

I paid over 12,000 for this stone...and I thought it was beautiful in the store, I even noticed the blue, but I liked it...now after reading all the posts on the net about potential problems with blue flourescence I am FREAKING out that I may have screwed up. I would rather lose the 500 dollar deposit than get stuck with a crappy stone...I looked at it under the bright light in the store and didnt notice any cloudiness..but then again I didnt look for it either.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Joe

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I can not comment on the cut of the stone as I do not know Radiants well; but, the strong blue may be a plus (could make the stone face up very white). You need to view the stones in different lighting to make sure the stone does not take on an oily/milky look in sunlight.

Quite frankly, as all on this board knows, I would never buy a stone w/o Blue Fluor.

Good luck

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
YazNY, welcome to the forum.

As Fire&Ice said, strong blue fluorescence is not too bad at all as long as the diamond doesn't look milky/oily in the daylight.

Besides, the price is rather good.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The key to the puzzle is the word "potential" in terms of the possiblity for fluorescence within a diamond to have an adverse effect on the beauty of a stone... Fewer than 2% of all gem quality diamonds have a level of fluorescence which has a negative impact upon the stone and most of them exhibit "distinct" fluorescence which is much more intense than "strong"... If the diamond does not appear milky or cloudy to you when it is clean, then the odds are that the fluorescence is not having a negative effect upon the diamond but take it to an independent GIA Graduate Gemologist for an in-depth evaluation if you're not sure... It might help you to know that most of our personal diamonds exhibit medium to strong blue fluorescence because we like the effect that it can have upon a stone. One of them exhibits distinct blue and it does appear milky under certain lighting conditions, it was purchased as a teaching stone so that we can show people how a stone looks when it has too much fluorescence.

faith

Rough_Rock

faith

Rough_Rock
A strong blue flourescence means that under a black light the diamond will glow a blue color. If it is not milky or dull or cloudy in natural sunlight, then the flourescence is not affecting the beauty.
12.gif

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi YazNY

We have an interesting article on our website relating to fluorescence. I wont give you a link as we are a commercial site. I have cut and pasted the gist on the article.

Hope it helps.

The Valuing of diamonds, requires an assessment of each of the four Cs (cut, colour, clarity and carat weight). But a fifth factor-fluorescence-often plays a role in the pricing and marketability of diamonds.
Fluorescence is a trait that is greatly misunderstood. It’s often perceived by members of the trade and consumers as a negative trait, it is usually a positive one. Fluorescence almost always makes diamonds look better in overall colour appearance. Although this sounds like a good thing, some in the trade believe this means that they are paying for a higher grade than the true grade of the diamond. Sales have been lost, and unnecessary discounts given, on diamonds that possess only beautiful qualities.

Tracing the source.
Fluorescence is the caused by trace impurities in the diamond. Approximately one-third of all gem-quality diamonds fluoresce, usually blue, But white, yellow, green, orange, and very occasionally red also may be witnessed. Pink diamonds may fluoresce a bright orange. Author of ‘The Micro World of Diamonds’, John Koivula states, “In natural diamonds, the reaction on exposure to long-wave ultra-violet radiation is virtually always stronger than the corresponding short-wave reaction.”
When a diamond is viewed in lighting that contains ultraviolet such as daylight the appearance is almost always improved by fluorescence. The excellent high-colour Russian diamonds which were highly publicized during the last two decades have a higher percentage of fluorescence in the medium-to-strong blue range than diamonds from other sources, which is one of the reasons they look so good.

Eric Bruton author of Diamonds discussed false white stones in his book: “If a stone has blue fluorescence and a tinted yellow body colour, the colours being complementary may cancel each other so that in some conditions the stone appears white. The experienced grader will recognize such stones because their colour grade appears to vary in different light intensities. A white light free of ultra-violet will disclose the true body colour, and an ultraviolet lamp will disclose the fluorescence.”

Wayne

blue fluor.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Joe,
Don't get too freaked out by the word "fluorescence." I too believe it can actually have a positive effect on the color of a stone. I once had an "I" color stone with strong blue fluorescence which actually made it appear whiter with no milky or oily effect whatsoever. I now have an "E" with medium blue fluorescence with no effect.

I will say, however, that the milky/oily effect will have to be evaluated with your own eyes. I have a friend who has such a high-fluorescent/oily diamond, VS2, G color. She has no problem with the appearance of her diamond, and I certainly would not bring it to her attention. To my eagle eye, it is obvious.

If YOU see no adverse effect in your diamond in different lighting, I would not let it worry you further.
1.gif

Diamondlil

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Strong blue is not a "flaw" in the stone as long as the stone is not hazy you may consider it,(I remember when I used to go to night clubs ,there were these ultaviolet lights around the dance floor, I would notice that some women were wearing diamonds by the glow of blue flour. on their finger.)
I really think that you have nothing to worry about ,as long as it is not hazy or milky as lenoid said earlier!!
just wear it and enjoy it!!

wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results