shape
carat
color
clarity

help please! please help me pick one of these 2 diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wwaleung

Rough_Rock
hihi,

I''m a newbie here..I find this forum just before i decided to proceed with my purchase! Thanks god~

I''ve been eyeing on these 2 diamonds for a while online from Blue Nile. Could anyone please advise?

1) http://www.bluenile.ca/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-colour-vs2-clarity_LD01035646#grading_report
(Ya i know the GIA report is fussy...I''ve contacted customer service to re-scan the report for me and putting it on hold)

GIA report Spec:
carat: 1.01
color: H
clarity: VS2
cut grade: excellent
polish: excellent
symmetry: excellent
crown: 34.0
pavillion: 40.5
table: 56.0
gridle: thin to medium faceted 2.0%
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.51 x 6.48 x 3.97 mm
comments: additional clouds not shown.
additional inscription: H&A
HCA score: 0.4 (it has a very low score but from the chart the ''cross'' is at edge of GIA excellent candidate, but not within AGS ideal candidate)
price: $6369CAD

2) http://www.bluenile.ca/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-colour-vs2-clarity_LD01025013

GIA report Spec:
carat: 1.05
color: G
clarity: VS2
cut grade: excellent
polish: excellent
symmetry: excellent
cutlet: none
crown: 34.5
pavillion: 40.8
table: 56.0
Depth: 61.3%
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 6.53 x 6.58 x 4.02 mm
gridle: thin to medium faceted 3.0%
Culet: None
comments: additional clouds not shown.
HCA score: 1.2 (from the chart the cross is within GIA excellent / AGS ideal candidate)
price: $7112CAD

If you go to the report http://www.bluenile.ca/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-colour-vs2-clarity_LD01025013#grading_report, you can see the marked clouds in the middle of the stone. Do you guys think it is eye clean?

Which one will be a better pick?

If I buy the 1), will the H color noticeable if set in 18k white gold?

Thanks much in advance!!! :)

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, welcome!
35.gif

Based on numbers, I prefer #2, it has a better ca/pa combo. Hope that helps!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number 2 for me too! Also no way to check it is eyeclean from the report, you will need to check but VS2 in that size should be.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Make that 3 for 2!

wwaleung

Rough_Rock
Thanks much!

Is the price reasonable?
I''m located in Vancouver, BC, Canada and the diamonds at local stores here seem much more expensive than online stores. Blue nile is the only online store i know of that ships to Canada with the customs all calculated.

Any other suggestions where else to shop from ? either local store or online stores that ships to canada ?

wwaleung

Rough_Rock
Also i''m not too sure how to interpret the HCA score. Is it lower the better? Or closer to the middle of the excellent range (0 to 2, i.e.1) better?

So, those 2 stones have scores of 0.4 and 1.2 respectively.
Is the 1.2 a good score?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Anything under 2 is considered to be worth further evaluation, some people think that the sweet spot is when it falls both within GIA ex and AGS0 overlap catagories :).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 12:49:02 AM
Author: wwaleung
Also i''m not too sure how to interpret the HCA score. Is it lower the better? Or closer to the middle of the excellent range (0 to 2, i.e.1) better?

So, those 2 stones have scores of 0.4 and 1.2 respectively.
Is the 1.2 a good score?
No, as Dee says the aim of the HCA is to score below 2 then evaluate from there with ASET and Idealscope images preferably. Scores below 1 need careful evaluation with the above tools especially. The HCA is a first round elimination tool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results