shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please: Need advice on whether a reset/custom design is worth it

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!

I can't believe I've been a member for so long and this is my first thread. I've certainly enjoyed reading and learning from everyone's posts over the years -- so thank you all for always taking the time to share!

My predicament. My mom gave me her old ring and ring jacket. It's a 2.05ct round diamond set in a simple YG solitaire with platinum prongs. She doesn't have any of the paperwork anymore, but she purchased it pre-set in the setting in I think the 80's so I suspect the ring is uncerted. I also could not locate any kind of laser inscription on the girdle. The ring jacket has 12 small round diamonds that are probably somewhere between 1.5-1.8mm each. My 10 year wedding anniversary is coming up, so I thought about taking the stone and having it set as a modern in antique style diamond cluster ring (inspiration pics that are probably well known in this community, attached), and setting the 12 small diamonds into a thin half eternity pave band to wear alone or to stack with the cluster. Resets are always hard because you usually need to invest a good chunk of money, and it's hard to weigh whether it's "worth" it. I recently put money into a reset project with Jade Trau, but it was worth it to me because it combined stones from my rings from my husband, some gemstones from my mom's old rings, and diamonds from my grandmothers old rings.

In this case, I think I'd like to do the project because I certainly wouldn't ever spend to buy the actual antique ring with the doorknob sized center stone I'd want :lol: so this seems like the best alternative to have the look I want in my collection at a fraction of the cost. But even at a fraction of the cost, I keep wondering if it's worth putting in all this work for this particular stone. Is it still better than having it laying around and not getting wear?

If you followed this stream of consciousness - and have wisdom you'd be open to sharing, I'd appreciate it very much!
image1.jpeg image0.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we get another photo? Face up with no tilt. Same lighting.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a photo of the stones you are working with?

Those are your inspiration setting ideas, if I understand correctly, right? They look like two different rings.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do the reset with the large diamond, the ring will be beautiful and you’ll get alot of wear out of it.
I wouldnt do the 12 wee diamonds into a band unless they have significant emotional value. You’ll pay $$$ to have a custom ring made.
Is the ring jacket with the wee diamonds saleable?
If these diamonds are too small to go into the new ring, I’d probably sell the ring jacket and put the proceeds towards larger size diamonds for the halo and the remake.
that’s me.
Id also be on the look out for a ready made pre loved haloed ring with an 8mm coloured centre, might be more cost effective that way but it’s a matter of looking and waiting until a suitable candidate ring comes along.
This setting I bought pre loved without a centre stone. It’s about 3 carats of diamonds and it was WAY cheaper than getting such a ring custom made. I bought it for a 9mm round sapphire and ended up putting a cushion cut sapphire in it instead. 86E12E98-5220-47F9-B229-39581CFC79AB.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Ivy & Rose have a number of vintage style ring mounts that would fit your 8mm diamond.
im currently in love with “target rings”. This one is emeralds but Ivy & Rose also do this ring in yellow gold with rubies and white gold with blue sapphires,
so lots of options - how exciting!
9BAFFB02-05C2-4DBC-8E7C-2C3270045395.jpeg

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I would do the reset with the large diamond, the ring will be beautiful and you’ll get alot of wear out of it.
I wouldnt do the 12 wee diamonds into a band unless they have significant emotional value. You’ll pay $$$ to have a custom ring made.
Is the ring jacket with the wee diamonds saleable?
If these diamonds are too small to go into the new ring, I’d probably sell the ring jacket and put the proceeds towards larger size diamonds for the halo and the remake.
that’s me.
Id also be on the look out for a ready made pre loved haloed ring with an 8mm coloured centre, might be more cost effective that way but it’s a matter of looking and waiting until a suitable candidate ring comes along.
This setting I bought pre loved without a centre stone. It’s about 3 carats of diamonds and it was WAY cheaper than getting such a ring custom made. I bought it for a 9mm round sapphire and ended up putting a cushion cut sapphire in it instead. 86E12E98-5220-47F9-B229-39581CFC79AB.jpeg

Thanks @Bron357 ! The ring jacket is a little bent/crushed on the bottom of the shank so I’m not sure it’s in any sellable condition unfortunately!

How expensive is labour in your area? I definitely think the cluster ring is worth it. There’s no point having this stone sitting around unworn when you can get the look that you want at a reasonable cost.

for the band, you might be better off holding the ring guard until you have another project come up, eg let’s say you’d like to make a halo coloured stone ring or something. And then using the ring guard to make that. It might be prohibitively expensive to get an eternity band made with these stones (again, depends on labour costs in your area).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t say if it will be ‘worth’ it - so many variables. Plus - if it will get worn after a reset, and doesn’t get worn now - how much do you value that aspect?
And - the inspos ( :love: ) you have posted are all with antique cut stones. Does that make a difference in the all over look of the completed piece, or do you have an itch that this may not scratch?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you aren't wearing the solitaire as it is, then I think it is definitely worth a reset if the alternative is that it sits in a jewelry box. I don't think I'd do anything with the jacket if it isn't in saleable condition. Those tiny stones probably aren't worth unsetting and then having something custom made.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The inspiration photos are beautiful! I say if you can afford the reset and will wear it, then do it! Relatively, it won't be that expensive compared to the value of the center stone! You could send the stone to the GIA to get graded when it's out of the setting if that's important to you. I'm a sentimental person, so if you want to reset the jacket into a band and the cost isn't crazy, I say do it!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, if you will wear the diamond ring more often if you reset it, that gets my vote.

I will say, though, the ring jacket looks pretty super ... if it is not too much trouble, would you mind posting a few more photos of it, by itself, and with the diamond ring?

mjea

Shiny_Rock
How expensive is labour in your area? I definitely think the cluster ring is worth it. There’s no point having this stone sitting around unworn when you can get the look that you want at a reasonable cost.

for the band, you might be better off holding the ring guard until you have another project come up, eg let’s say you’d like to make a halo coloured stone ring or something. And then using the ring guard to make that. It might be prohibitively expensive to get an eternity band made with these stones (again, depends on labour costs in your area).

Thank you for the affirmation! I’m getting quotes right now and I think it’s reasonable/doable! I had planned to buy a bracelet from a luxury brand but think this might be the better buy for right now. Originally I had trouble with the thought of investing around the same amount in the reset as a new bracelet but I think I’m over it now. :lol: One thing at a time.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
The inspiration photos are beautiful! I say if you can afford the reset and will wear it, then do it! Relatively, it won't be that expensive compared to the value of the center stone! You could send the stone to the GIA to get graded when it's out of the setting if that's important to you. I'm a sentimental person, so if you want to reset the jacket into a band and the cost isn't crazy, I say do it!!

Thank you!! I have thought about sending it to GIA or potentially having it recut and then sent to GIA. I’d probably lose a good amount of carat weight but that could be an option!

I can’t say if it will be ‘worth’ it - so many variables. Plus - if it will get worn after a reset, and doesn’t get worn now - how much do you value that aspect?
And - the inspos ( :love: ) you have posted are all with antique cut stones. Does that make a difference in the all over look of the completed piece, or do you have an itch that this may not scratch?

Yes exactly! I have had the same thought. I love antique stones so much I’ve looked at modern round brilliant clusters and still think they are very beautiful. Very different feel for sure - but still beautiful! So many factors to consider and I am an extreme over thinker.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I really do love it!

Thank you for the additional photos :)

This would be my approach. Start with the cluster b/c you already know what you wanna do with that one. Maybe sell/scrap the gold of the wrap to help offset costs if the cluster ends up going over budget. Then hold onto the melee until you come up with a project for those.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gosh I would definitely do something with it, whether is to reset, recut, sell and replace with oec (cannot remember if that was an option) - whatever you need to do to make sure you get something in the end that you love and wear! Valuable unworn jewelry is so pointless imho!

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone who took the time to post and offer advice and options! I'm leaning toward having it designed into a cluster :) It will cost $375 to have it GIA graded (incl. insurance and shipping etc). so I'll have to decide if that's worthwhile to me.

Does anyone have experience sending stones to GIA from maybe from their antique reset projects and would you be willing to share how you made the decision?

It might really depend on what the jeweler thinks about the diamond and what the options are if we decide to recut as well. Who knows what taking the diamond out of the current setting will do to, or reveal about the stone! I'm an overthinker so having all options open is not always a good thing :lol:

Thank you everyone who took the time to post and offer advice and options! I'm leaning toward having it designed into a cluster :) It will cost $375 to have it GIA graded (incl. insurance and shipping etc). so I'll have to decide if that's worthwhile to me.

Does anyone have experience sending stones to GIA from maybe from their antique reset projects and would you be willing to share how you made the decision?

It might really depend on what the jeweler thinks about the diamond and what the options are if we decide to recut as well. Who knows what taking the diamond out of the current setting will do to, or reveal about the stone! I'm an overthinker so having all options open is not always a good thing :lol:

I would not bother getting it graded if you plan to just use it for yourself. Grading is necessary only if you plan to sell the stone in my opinion. I have inherited one ungraded stone and I haven’t gotten it graded and nor do I plan to do so.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I would not bother getting it graded if you plan to just use it for yourself. Grading is necessary only if you plan to sell the stone in my opinion. I have inherited one ungraded stone and I haven’t gotten it graded and nor do I plan to do so.

The perspective is so helpful - thank you! Out of bling curiosity what did you do with your inherited stone? :D

The perspective is so helpful - thank you! Out of bling curiosity what did you do with your inherited stone? :D

Well so far nothing because virus haha. But I plan to turn it into an RHR! It’s an alphabet yellow so I’m hopeful with a YG cup and a double halo I’ll get quite a blingy FLY looking ring!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1. I inherited a stone that I reset into a pendant and I did not have it graded. I figured if I want or need to sell it in the future I can take it out of the setting. If your ring will have prongs you could likely have it taken out and replaced if needed but often a buyer wants to reset anyway.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Well so far nothing because virus haha. But I plan to turn it into an RHR! It’s an alphabet yellow so I’m hopeful with a YG cup and a double halo I’ll get quite a blingy FLY looking ring!

:kiss2:Amazing!! Please update if you do it! Yesss maybe a full 24k cup for maximum sunshine

mjea

Shiny_Rock
+1. I inherited a stone that I reset into a pendant and I did not have it graded. I figured if I want or need to sell it in the future I can take it out of the setting. If your ring will have prongs you could likely have it taken out and replaced if needed but often a buyer wants to reset anyway.

Thank you!!! It’s helpful to hear what others have decided for inherited stones! Can we see the pendant too if you don’t mind and have time? =)2

:kiss2:Amazing!! Please update if you do it! Yesss maybe a full 24k cup for maximum sunshine

Good idea on the 24k cup! I’ll show you a picture of my inspiration setting (not my ring, but I love this and would like to do something in this vein):

F3615F23-C4EB-41D4-9C6A-76E5F05B3452.jpeg

Only change I might make is to perhaps make it a split shank, I’m not usually a fan of split shanks but I think it might make the ring more delicate with so much pave going on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results