shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, please -- Halo concerns for J color round brilliant...

frugalfw

Rough_Rock
Help, please. :wall:

I am having a bit of setting indecision and am trying to choose between doing a halo setting vs. non-halo on an RB 1.55 (7.5mm) J color, faint fluorescence.

That said, I'm leaning slightly towards a custom halo design, as I really like the extra bling and finger coverage on my 5.5ish size finger. I hesitate to go this route because I've seen a few PS posts showing halo settings for J center stones that show up warm (to my eyes) against their setting's icy-white halo diamonds. The rings looked lovely, but I have decided that this contrast is not the look I'm going for.

I am pretty sure I am going to go custom on the setting. What requests and questions should I ask regarding the melee to make sure that all the diamonds match my center stone?

Will full cut vs single cut vs ideal cut melee make any difference on this and if so, should I expect much of a price difference?

Thanks so much ahead of time for all your thoughts!

P.S. For what it is worth, I love my J -- mine leans towards an I, and to my eyes, it shows up very white, even from the side (just as you experts advised, a great cut does indeed make a HUGE difference!).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help, please -- Halo concerns for J color round brillian

I think melee usually look whiter just because of their size, so you may see a little contrast with a J center. I kind of like that, so it wouldn't bother me, but you need to be sure before you go forward. There are people here with J's in halos, but I am not sure there are many pictures around that accurately show the true color. I wouldn't consider anything but full cuts with a modern round brilliant center stone. I'd only use single cuts with an antique stone. I'll see if I can find any pictures for you.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

Melees do tend to look whiter because of their small size. A few jewelers I talked to said that going to I or even J melees wouldn't really help. If your stone faces up white then it won't be too noticeable in a lot of lighting conditions though.

frugalfw

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1439433722|3913951 said:
I think melee usually look whiter just because of their size, so you may see a little contrast with a J center. I kind of like that, so it wouldn't bother me, but you need to be sure before you go forward. There are people here with J's in halos, but I am not sure there are many pictures around that accurately show the true color. I wouldn't consider anything but full cuts with a modern round brilliant center stone. I'd only use single cuts with an antique stone. I'll see if I can find any pictures for you.

Thanks so much for the great advice and for also finding & pointing me to the pictures of haloed Js as well. These are both gorgeous rings, and I find it interesting that the end result of the first one was to exchange her stone for a higher color grade to better match the setting. I would really love to see her ring after the change.

Regarding msop4's ring -- do you feel like these pictures might represent the true color difference between a J center and the F/G melee of the halo?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results