shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking out an oval

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an oval diamond. I would like to stay under $15k for the stone. I am looking for the best bang for my buck. Not a perfect or flawless stone but as white and sparkly with as much finger coverage as possible. I have looked at Blue Nile, Brilliant Earth and James Allen but they are all starting to run together.

I had a 1.58 carat G SI1 with a .4 pear on each side that I LOVED and lost. I'm going the simple solitaire route this time, to put all of my money into the stone.

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your color preference?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lol @kb1gra beat me to this. I think the distinctive gems ovals are the best out there. They maximize light return, don't have bowties, etc. They are truly outstanding.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

On the fence with these two

I love elongated ovals in a simple solitaire

brucie1855

Rough_Rock

On the fence with these two

I love elongated ovals in a simple solitaire

Thank you! I have two on hold at James Allen. I'm going to ask for the specs and then maybe you can take a look for me?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I have two on hold at James Allen. I'm going to ask for the specs and then maybe you can take a look for me?

Sure, post the certs when you get them along with links

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
Sure, post the certs when you get them along with links

Thanks! I don't have the links since they are on hold but here are the certs. The VS1 is $13,600 and the VS2 is $10,420. cert (1).jpeg cert.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does no good without the links. You cant buy fancy cut stones like ovals by the certs...but yes, they do help.

Where are they on hold at? Which vendor?

Edit...I was thinking we might be able to track them down.

A possibility...

Last edited:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It does no good without the links. You cant buy fancy cut stones like ovals by the certs...but yes, they do help.

Where are they on hold at? Which vendor?

Edit...I was thinking we might be able to track them down.

A possibility...

Here's the first:

Here's the second:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I much prefer the elyque ovals to either of the options that OP posted.

I wish it could always be this easy that there is a stone that's the right size, color, and price just sitting waiting to be bought.

When does that ever happen? :lol:

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
I got the links but I think maybe no one likes my selections:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elogated 1

Elongated 2. Small table. Bright crown facets. Even distribution of brightness and leakage for oval.

Round-ish (the one @tyty333 found) chunky facets. MRB-like

I am loving elongated ovals recently.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
I got the links but I think maybe no one likes my selections:

The second looks better to my non-expert eyes, with stronger light return.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ovals fall into 3 categories for me...best, second best, and average (or below). I show you what to look for
below. Of course along with nice facets/good light return you have other things to consider like length/width
ratio and overall size of the stone length/width. Sometimes there are trade-offs you have to consider which
means you have to know/figure out what's more important to you.

1) The best ovals will have nice facets (distinct, well-defined) through the center with additional nice facets lighting with a slight turn of the stone.

Like this stone

All these facets are nice facets that have good (as in what you want to see) light return. I should have outlined
the areas outside of green (but still under the table) as red because they are "mushy areas". However, in
the best stones (and in this stone) they are minimal.
capture.jpg

Elyque ovals will also have the best light return (as in AGS IDeal). Like someone mentioned, the depth
is necessary to get the Ideal light return.

Edit...it would be worthwhile to view the video on this page. It shows you what nice facets vs mush looks like. Rhino calls
them dead areas...I call them mushy areas because the look like various shades of gray in videos that sort of mush together.
This video is worth seeing though to help you understand ovals.

2) The second best stones have wider areas of good light return through the center but do not have
additional good facets light up as the stone turns.

For example this stone.

The green shows a wide area of distinct facets that are flashing on/off (returning light well). The red
shows "mushy" areas that do not return light well (even when you turn the stone...it stays somewhat
mushy).
capture.jpg

3) All the other ovals fall into average (or below) category. They have a minimal amount of nice facets that
return light well and larger mushy areas that dont return light well at all. For example...this stone has barely
any good facets returning light and consist mostly of mush (red areas)

capture.jpg

If you have any questions, ask!

Last edited:

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
Ovals fall into 3 categories for me...best, second best, and average (or below). I show you what to look for
below. Of course along with nice facets/good light return you have other things to consider like length/width
ratio and overall size of the stone length/width. Sometimes there are trade-offs you have to consider which

1) The best ovals will have nice facets (distinct, well-defined) through the center with additional nice facets lighting with a slight turn of the stone.

Like this stone

All these facets are nice facets that have good (as in what you want to see) light return. I should have outlined
the areas outside of green (but still under the table) as red because they are "mushy areas". However, in
capture.jpg

Elyque ovals will also have the best light return (as in AGS IDeal). Like someone mentioned, the depth

Edit...it would be worthwhile to view the video on this page. It shows you what nice facets vs mush looks like. Rhino calls
them dead areas...I call them mushy areas because the look like various shades of gray in videos that sort of mush together.

2) The second best stones have wider areas of good light return through the center but do not have

For example this stone.

The green shows a wide area of distinct facets that are flashing on/off (returning light well). The red
shows "mushy" areas that do not return light well (even when you turn the stone...it stays somewhat
mushy).
capture.jpg

3) All the other ovals fall into average (or below) category. They have a minimal amount of nice facets that
return light well and larger mushy areas that dont return light well at all. For example...this stone has barely

capture.jpg

Thank you! That was very helpful. I had an oval for 7 years and didn't know this much information about them. Can you take a look at this stone for me please? This was my front runner.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! That was very helpful. I had an oval for 7 years and didn't know this much information about them. Can you take a look at this stone for me please? This was my front runner.

Let's just say I have studied oval cuts a lot...

The stone you posted falls into the second-best category and actually some people prefer this look over the first category. Its almost impossible to
get the first category type stone in a higher ratio. You usually need a stone that is closer to being round rather than long and narrow. That's kind of what
I mean by ratio trade-offs that must be considered.

I think its a nice looking stone and has a wide area of nice facets through the center. Additional nice facets do not appear as the stone rotates but since
it has a wider area of nice facets, it helps to limit the amount of mushy area.
I think its a pretty decent stone.

James Allen also has a good return policy (look it up to be sure) just in case you get it and the stone does not perform as you had hoped
or the "I" has too much tint for you.

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
Let's just say I have studied oval cuts a lot...

The stone you posted falls into the second-best category and actually some people prefer this look over the first category. Its almost impossible to
get the first category type stone in a higher ratio. You usually need a stone that is closer to being round rather than long and narrow. That's kind of what
I mean by ratio trade-offs that must be considered.

I think its a nice looking stone and has a wide area of nice facets through the center. Additional nice facets do not appear as the stone rotates but since
it has a wider area of nice facets, it helps to limit the amount of mushy area.
I think its a pretty decent stone.

James Allen also has a good return policy (look it up to be sure) just in case you get it and the stone does not perform as you had hoped
or the "I" has too much tint for you.

Do you know anything about The Ring Concierge? Maybe I just let them pick my oval?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you know anything about The Ring Concierge? Maybe I just let them pick my oval?

They can find some stones but be aware you will pay for their services when people here can do it for free. It takes time and patience to find a good oval so I can understand wanting to skip that and pay for someone else to do it

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Like this stone

capture.jpg

For example this stone.

mushy).
capture.jpg

capture.jpg

This is an awesome explanation!

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
They can find some stones but be aware you will pay for their services when people here can do it for free. It takes time and patience to find a good oval so I can understand wanting to skip that and pay for someone else to do it

Patience isn't always my strong suit :) You've been so helpful.

Did you see this one I have on hold? The rep at James Allen told me it has "a lot of fire." The price point is obviously appealing. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.01-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-8791487

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results