shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking a diamond

Alex Turner

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am currently in the process of buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend (hopefully, soon to be fiance) and have been looking mostly at Victor Canera and HP diamonds. I've got the ring portion of the deal sorted and have had some good advice from my GF on the type of diamond she is looking for I now need to decide on a center stone. My budget for the stone is around $17k.

With that said, I am targeting a stone in the 1.5-2.0 carat range considering my current budget. My main requirements are I, J, K or generally sure that it looks white and doesn’t show yellow. I could also work with a bigger diamond that is well cut than paying for a D or E color. I have looked at some H color stones and can't really see any color but I want to make sure I get a stone that doesn't show any color when set in the ring. I am currently looking at the stone below which is $17 and is a 1.8 ct, I color, Vs2 stone.

upload_2019-8-6_8-8-16.png
upload_2019-8-6_8-8-55.png
upload_2019-8-6_8-10-28.png

By comparison, I am also looking at similarly priced but slightly smaller stone (7.3mm vs 7.8mm above basically), which is a 1.54 ct, F color VS2 stone with some details below.
upload_2019-8-6_8-20-6.png
upload_2019-8-6_8-20-31.png
upload_2019-8-6_8-20-49.png

I think both stones look pretty decent but keen for feedback or advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of these stones are precision cut and will be gorgeous. However, I’d personally be much more inclined to go with a middle ground between both of them and go with a G/H color and maybe SI1 clarity if completely eye clean. I could see color in I color stones and don’t prefer it in modern rounds so I personally target better color for an ering stone. That said, this stone is gorgeous and is $17k with the wire discount:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10619

This stone is still being crafted but would also be an option and come in under budget:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10793

Lastly, this stone is a great value under $15k and the inclusion is a white feather that will definitely be hard to see with the naked eye and a prong could likely be placed over or near it: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10673

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the extra size and I color. But it's critical that you know your GFs color preferences before jumping into J/K Colors. I think I in a super ideal cut is pretty safe, but wouldn't go lower unless you know she's ok with it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a beautiful looking SI1...:love::clap:

I also like this. Great price. A small color bump and eye clean clarity so you maximize bang for the buck.

That small 55 table, 34.6/40.7 combo and 77 LGF's are icing on the cake. Can we say sparkle bomb? At least put on reserve while you decide.

Lastly I'd encourage you to figure out HER color sensitivity. As others noted, it's a bit risky buying J/K if you aren't honed in on this. I know you said it didn't bother YOU but typically women are more sensitive than men. So there is a potential she may see tint where you don't. Seeing tint and being bothered by it is entirely different. My wife is very sensitive but also very tolerant so it doesn't bother her.

I bought my wife a BGD H VS2. She sees tint very easily. I see a slight amount. But her setting has a design that heavily exposes the side of the stone, and as you have probably learned the body/side is where you typically see tint. Getting a setting that doesn't allow the sides to be as exposed can help mask tint.

None of this means you have to jump to the D/E/F grades, it just means you need to be aware and understand the specifics of your situation. Many people find G/H to be a good compromise. Also, if you aren't aware colors are RANGES so you could have a high H meaning almost G or maybe a low H meaning almost I. Also the higher the color the smaller the range, so D will have a narrow range where a J will have a much broader range.

Lastly I think you should decide what setting you want and buy both the stone and setting from that vendor. Both VC and HPD are quality vendors with great benches and stones.

HPD and VC both have good upgrade programs, but HPD has a lifetime 80% buyback policy that no other vendor offers. Obviously you would trade if possible but if an emergency situation occurred then you would have quick access to cash at a fair rate for a diamond. I also prefer HPD for upgrades because they deal in a larger inventory which means more potential selection down the road. You are starting at a decent size, so this may come into play as larger diamonds are more rare and not as easily sourced. WF probably edges HPD on inventory size but you didn't mention them.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to the comments above re: finding out what your intended's colour preferences and tolerances are!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
It is possible that HPD would send several diamonds to an appraiser or store in your area for you to view depending on where you are located. I agree with others that your girlfriend’s color tolerances should be taken into consideration. So I suggest contacting HPD to see what stones they would recommend in your budget (I like the ones listed above) and see if you and your girlfriend can view them locally.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results