shape
carat
color
clarity

Help pick a ring on a small budget

knkn

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

So i have decided to propose to my girlfriend of 5 years and need to get a ring sorted :appl:. Still being at uni, I have a small budget of around 2.5k

Now I am thinking of getting a band for around $800 and spending the remainder on the diamond... I'm hoping to get something around the 0.7 carat range.

I have had a look for some rings I like and think these two styles are nice:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-ring-from-i-d-jewelry.135528/
http://www.tiffany.com/engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10055

So these are some settings which I like:

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7988W44JJ
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER4181W44JJ
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...ave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-17155w14.html

For the diamond im probably looking for an ideal cut, but because of my budget J colour and SI2 clarity and maybe with a blue fluorescence to make it look a bit clearer? I am not much of an expert *yet* on diamonds but i think this one seems ok. When i put the measurements into the hca calculator it gives a reading of 1.8:

http://au.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?&pid=LD02704751&builder=BYOR&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP#DIAMONDS_STEP|LD02704751

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions for the setting, i'm having a hard time choosing with so many different types available.

Thanks in advance

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's what I'd do though.

I'd buy this setting. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330772364244 And I would have it sent to whatever vendor you buy the diamond from and ask them to replace the head on it to fit your diamond (very easy) and set your diamond in it. Then, with the money saved from this. I'd go up to an SI1 and I color stone like this one: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.514-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104055878133

It's got a great upgrade policy (your full purchase price toward upgrade). And your setting can have that head switched out again if you upgrade your stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOHHH! Look what I found (put it on hold immediately).

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1505977.asp 1.4 HCA, J SI that looks eyeclean (YES!) 75 points!! AND the spread is 5.8!! That's fabulous.

I'd stick it in the same setting above from ebay or just a simple 300 solitaire that JA has. If you can stretch the budget about 300 bucks you can get this setting from them: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/-18k-White-Gold-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-17155w14.html

ATLMikey

Rough_Rock
wow, Gypsy. This seems to me to be a VERY nice stone. I'm by no means an expert (maybe a slightly more educated neophyte!) but from what I've been looking at, I'd expect that stone to cost $600-$800 more. If it were just a bit bigger, I'd definitely grab it myself.

Any idea why it is so cheap? I'd love the opportunity to learn.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was surprised by it Mike. Usually well priced GIA Ex cuts are steep/deep or not eyeclean. Or it they have fluorecence that is impacting it badly (this stone has none). As with some under 1 carat stones, this one doesn't have a clarity plot. But the Clarity is based on twinning wisps, and I used the tool and didn't see anything that would be eye visible. Very rarely twining wisp inclusions can impact brilliance and that's a question for the JA Gemologist on this stone. It also could be one of the rare stones that has a good HCA score but doesn't bear out with an Idealscope, and that's why whoever buys it needs to ask for the Idealscope image.

But even if the IS shows a little bit of leakage I think it's a good enough buy that I'd take it anyway.

There are other factors. It could be an upgrade stone someone traded in, and they recertified then listed. There's no way to know that and I wouldn't worry about it. The lab report is dated May this year so the stone is in great shape regardless of what it's history is or isn't.

I'd have the gemologist look at and get an idealscope image but if it works out-- I'd snap this one up.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Do you know what she likes? The rings you listed are all over the place - white gold, yellow gold, halo, sapphire center stones, princess cut, round cut, old european cut, modern style, vintage.......

I would try to find out from her (or if you don't feel comfortable with that, from her mom, her sister, or a friend), what she likes. I would also make sure that she's okay wearing a pre-owned engagement ring.

haldayyzed

Rough_Rock
I think you first need to ask yourself what your actual budget is, and what your priorities are when it comes to the e ring. The preowned rings you listed are all in a significantly lower price range then. You orig. quoted, and thus one gets the impression that while 2500 is your top end, you would rather spend less then 1000. There is nothing wrong with that and fiscal responsibility is extremely important.

The eBay rings are all nice, but there is a HUGE variation in style, size, even type of stone. This indicates that you are being driven by the price point and not by any other objective measure then price and "oh that looks nice."

So, if I were you, I would be honest with myself and determine exactly how much I wanted to spend on a ring. I would then get a feel for what my girlfriend wants or expects in a ring, and where her priorities are when it comes to the ring. Does she want a diamond? What style does she like? Etc. etc.

After making these decisions I would come back and see what I could find that best met these needs and priorities.

If your girlfriend really wants a diamond ring AND you honestly think it is worth it to spend 2500 then the stone you have on hold is great. It meets all your needs. How've, it's really up to you.

I thinks it's natural for someone to go through these swings when shopping for a ring. I know I did! So good luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep that diamond on hold. If you haven't done so already: Request an Idealscope image of it. And ask them to have the gemologist to check to make sure that the Twining Wisps aren't having a negative effect on brilliance.

NOW! Before we jump into ebay.

I love helping people on modest budgets find their engagement rings. It’s one of my favorite things to do. That said, in order to do so the person being helped needs to a good idea of what they want. Alternately if you can tell us what she's like we can help you come up with a good fit.

So, tell us about your Lady.

1. What is your MAXIMUM budget that you can not go past, no matter what?
2. How old are you guys?
3. What do she do for a living/working toward doing for a living.
4. How does she dress? Is she a T-shirts and jeans girl? Does she love vintage pieces and get a kick out of consignment shopping? Is she tailored-- shops at Ann Taylor? Is she high fashion?
5. What is her current jewelry like? Does she prefer white metals or yellow/pinks ones?
6. How is her house decorated? Does she love antique store trolling? Does she love everything Pottery Barn? Is she ultra modern with lots of metal and leather?
7. Is she clumsy? Is she very put together?
8. Does she love handbags and have a stable of them to choose from? Are they mostly practical (neutral colors: brown, black, beige) or are there a lot of colors in there? Blue, purple, red?
9. What metro area are you in or near? Or are you in the country? Tell me where you live and what it's like there (if it's not obvious, like NYC).I get the feeling you are from Australia from your use of Uni. Tell me about where you live (I've been to Australia 4-5 times, but still).
10. Do you guys have pets? Want them? What kind?
11. Is she a brand name girl? Does she love things with brand names that she can brag about? Or is she more understated?
12. Okay now, describe her to us in your own words? I've never met her, bring her to life me. What qualities does she have that you love? What is her sense of humor like? Just... tell us about her.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I love your questions! I'm so tempted to take your quiz and see what you'd recommend for me!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Just a note - are you in Australia, knkn?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhea, start the thread about it, and I'll answer. It will be fun.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - sadly I'm not looking for a ring right now or else I would!

Knkn - any progress on the hunt?

knkn

Rough_Rock
Hey guys just a quick update, I found the website jewels by erica grace and came across a ring I think she will love, so I've got it on hold until pay day:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/71ct-center-Transitional-Cut/18182075_MCSP3h#!i=1396951905&k=GHkRBK5

She likes the embrace and legacy Tiffany style type of rings and this is pretty similar. It will end up being about $700 over budget with shipping/taxes etc but i think it's worth it.

What do you guys think about the ring, diamond, setting, price etc?

Cheers :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :love: :appl:
Looks amazing and well priced for the quality. Awesome plan knkn! "add to cart"!!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
knkn, that's an awesome set, go for it! :appl:

Gypsy, what a great questionnaire!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice! At $700 over, but with the wedding band included it's just purchasing more now and less later!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Great choice, it is beautiful!

knkn

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1344240400|3246704 said:
Good choice! At $700 over, but with the wedding band included it's just purchasing more now and less later!

Yeh that's the way i'm looking at it :D. Thanks for the help guys, I think(hope) she will love it lol.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
knkn - the ring looks beautiful, I hope your intended loves it.

Sorry to threadjack but I was chuffed to hear that Gypsy enjoys particularly helping people with modest budgets find a lovely engagement ring. They're just the threads I love looking at. They always seem to end up with more than they expected. Perhaps that's one reason why it's so satisfying.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Knkn, That a nice choice. I really like the center stone on it and that Legacy style halo give a huge boost to finger coverage. And if she loves the Legacy that's a perfect fit!! I think the pricing, with the wedding band included sounds good as well. YAY and congratulations!

I should add that question to the questionnaire: Has she expressed an interest in any particular style of ring (halo, Legacy, solitaire, three stone) or shape of stone (round, marquise, pear, princess, emerald, radiant...).

Polished-- totally. With tight budgets it's more of a challenge but when you find the right fit it's a huge amount of satisfaction!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results