shape
carat
color
clarity

Help pick a colored stone for this vintage repro. setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I decided that I Need to get this vintage repro. setting (in white gold):

http://www.jansjewells.com/item.php?item_id=999&category_id=120

Now what kind of colored stone would you put in it?

Ideas that come to mind are red spinel or aquamarine. I want to keep the vintage feel so probably don''t want to use something like blue topaz or such.

Thanks.

Cool website, no?

Oh, and I''m not seeing any 5 mm. rounds on the colored stone vendors websites. I guess when the time comes, I''d call some and see if they could source what I decided on?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. I was thinking about getting that setting for a stone I got recently. I think it''s gorgeous! I can''t wait to see what you put in there. Did you look at Dan''s site?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Ah, people of great taste we are then, Freke.

Yes, look at Dan''s (and basically everyone else''s). Nothing that strikes me for it.

What were you thinking of putting in it?

If they say it is made for a 5 mm., how much leeway do you think I have? Plus or minus .2, I''m guessing.

Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The leeway is also dependent on the depth of the gemstone and setting. Generally, you can get by with 0.5mm, usually in the minus and not plus, due to gemstone depth.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty ring. I think an aqua would be gorgeous in it.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
An alexandrite!!! lol!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that website! What a great setting! Sorry I''m no help on the stones for it though. I don''t know much...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of putting my bright little Barry lavender-pink spinel in here...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty,

I don''t know of many stones off the top of my head that size. I will let you know if I see one.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Something low key, gentle, romantic, antiquish, to go well with the filigree. One of these:

- imperial topaz (not easy to find, but would look great IMO)
- pink tourmaline (not rubelite)
- light amethyst

Aqua sounds great in theory (just like morganite), but it''s not easy to find them with a nice color in such small sizes, especially in round shapes which tend to lighten the stone even more. And spinel could be screaming too much for this design IMO, with all the sparkle and the vibrant color.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. Thanks Chrono.

Mr. Ma re: "Something low key, gentle, romantic, antiquish, to go well with the filigree."

Yes, absolutely.

I agree, it's hard to find an imperial in the right color but a rich mellow old golden color would fit. "pink tourmaline (not rubelite)" - love it but I have a good amount of pink already. "light amethyst" - I could totally see this but I have a good amount of that color, also. Darn. (Not that I don't appreciate your ideas, I do. And I may still may go with one of those colors.)

"Aqua sounds great in theory (just like morganite), but it's not easy to find them with a nice color in such small sizes, especially in round shapes which tend to lighten the stone even more."

Agreed. I may still contact some of the colored stone vendors on this, just in case. I never knew that rounds can lighten color! Thanks for telling me. (You all are just such a wealth of information and help.)

"And spinel could be screaming too much for this design IMO, with all the sparkle and the vibrant color."

You know, I think I really knew this however I've been itching to get a red spinel.
26.gif
You are right, I wouldn't be the right thing to do to this setting.

Shaun: Well, that stone does do two nice soft colors but the price made me gasp.

Thanks so very much,

Sonoma

Corno

Rough_Rock
Keep in mind that an aqua will abrade more easily than a spinel or even a sapphire. I see a great deal of damaged stones in my profession and I would limit aquas to pendants and earrings for years of wear and enjoyment. If you wear this ring every day, no matter how careful you are, you will eventually begin to notice abrasions at the facet junctions or possibly worse; a fracture beneath a prong from an accidental wack. Good luck!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Coati !

Red, orange or yellow?

Hope the hand is coming along.

Sonoma

-----

Thanks and Welcome Corno ! !
35.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
Orangey pink!!

..and the finger is much better, thanks!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I like Coati''s idea or a blue topaz. Heck, I think that I''d like to see anything in that setting! Its very pretty.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:51:41 PM
Author: sonomacounty

I never knew that rounds can lighten color!
You bet it can - it''s got the best light return of all cuts, that''s why it''s used so much for diamonds. In light colored materials it can wash out the color. But it does wonders for pyrope garnets
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results