shape
carat
color
clarity

****HELP NEEDED WITH VENUE CHOICE****

jennredsox

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies,

I'm a newbie to this site and really need some advice on choosing a venue. Just a brief backstory---I'm originally from Boston and just got engaged to a wonderful Aussie man and we are making are home here in Australia. We are getting married back in my home town fall 2014 and will be planning the wedding long distance.

I've sent my dad venue scouting for me---he's such a saint! :saint: I have narrowed my venue choice to 2; but we have different preferences--both locations are about 10-15min away from my family home and church where we'll be married. And both are similarly priced. How do I choose?

Venue 1
An Elks function ball room right on the ocean with floor to ceiling windows to the ocean. My dad's a member of this club so he gets a discount. The caterer is amazing and since its local we know their food, service and reputation well. My mom's side of the family are from this town so it would be special to have my wedding here.

Venue 2
An 1800s meeting house with beautiful grounds and a grand ballroom. Great places indoors for photos (staircases, fireplaces, routunda in the entry way). Very elegant and classy. They have their own caterer and the menus are amazing. You buy your alcohol wholesale up front and serve to guests as open bar---saves money than traditional open bars. Plus they can customize signature cocktails---my fiancé loves his Australian rum so we could make an Aussie rum drink. :)

My dad's favourite is the Elks (he didn't say so but I could just tell). For a summer wedding I would definitely choose this venue--the views are spectacular. But my concern is that since it will be fall, and reception would start around 5:30/6----we won't be able to take advantage of the views---it will be dark for most if not all of the reception. Plus if it rains, there's not too many places to take photos.

My favourite is the meeting house. Its elegant and classy---great places for indoor photos in case of rain. Plus I want to take advantage of the fall foliage as the backdrop for my photos. I plan on getting married in our church. Then having the photographer take us around to a few different locations before the reception; we have a beautiful beach, plenty of farms, state parks, old rustic barns to capture autumn in New England at its best.

So how do I choose? My dad is paying for the reception and I don't want to disappoint him. (And my fiancé really doesn't have a preference---he just wants to make sure its not too $$$).

Any advice would be most helpful!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I say go with your heart! The 1800s house sounds like my pick! I'm totally with you on having good places indoors for pictures in case of inclement weather and the fall foilage option vs. the beach is more appealing to me!

I find that when it comes to weddings, people end up compromising too much on what they really want to appease others (usually parents who are paying) and more often than not end up regretting it.

I'd go with your first choice. Your dad loves you, he'll understand.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1379019157|3519670 said:
I say go with your heart! The 1800s house sounds like my pick! I'm totally with you on having good places indoors for pictures in case of inclement weather and the fall foilage option vs. the beach is more appealing to me!

I find that when it comes to weddings, people end up compromising too much on what they really want to appease others (usually parents who are paying) and more often than not end up regretting it.

I'd go with your first choice. Your dad loves you, he'll understand.

This!

If you are doing a rehearsal dinner or something like that, maybe you could do that at the Elks room?

If you are doing a autumn wedding, you want the location with indoor options. The Elks room sounds like it would be amazing during daytime but could end up looking like some generic meeting/event room in the evening/dark.

Even if you do summer -- don't pick a location just because someone else likes it better (unless the someone else is your FI!). You will regret it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results