shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed selecting 3ct round brilliant

theshirlgirlNS

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping the experts here might be able to help me out with some suggestions. I am looking to upgrade my 1.8ct I VS2 to a 3ct diamond. My diamond was originally purchased from BlueNile so I can take advantage of their upgrade program if I find something there, however I seem to see better stones with better pricing from JA, WF. I'm not against keeping the stone I have and turning it into a pendant if I don't find something at BN. My budget is approximately 30k. Diamond will be set in a classic platinum 6 prong setting.

For my desired size and budget, a J colored stone may be my best option, in which case I'm hoping to find something as white as possible. Cut is by far my number 1 priority - I'm not as concerned about color and clarity as I am making sure the stone is brilliant and sparkly.

I'm lost trying to run the calculations and determine the best stones between BN, JA and WF. BGD currently has nothing close to that size in my budget.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Reactions: AV_

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have the budget for a super ideal...and if you think you ever might want to upgrade again, branded Super Ideal would be the
way to go. You can ask for side-by-side pictures and whether one looks more white than the others.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have the budget for a super ideal...and if you think you ever might want to upgrade again, branded Super Ideal would be the
way to go. You can ask for side-by-side pictures and whether one looks more white than the others.

Came here to say this. Agreed

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget to use the search bar at the top of the forum to pull up all the options in the database - select 'Excellent' in the HCA score section to find the stones that have angles that work well together (which should therefore give good light performance).

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You could always ask any of the H&A sellers if they would take in your diamond (trade-in) or if/how could be repolished upto the same H&A standards. I can't know what the options are as details often depend on your stone & their current possibilities. Just a thought

headlight

Ideal_Rock
My only input is that you are doing a really big jump in size. And with that much larger size color is much more apparent. So think hard about the J. It will be much more than "a little more tint" than what you have now. There will be a much greater impact than if your current stone was a J. In an approx 3 ct I would not go below your current I and, quite honestly, you should consider an H. Sorry to burst your bubble but some food for thought.

theshirlgirlNS

Rough_Rock
I appreciate everyone's input. I have had a concern about the color but have been hoping the super ideal would offset the warm with it's light return performance. Any thoughts on the below H stones from JA?

Or I could consider these I stones from WF

So hard when you can't see them in person!

theshirlgirlNS

Rough_Rock
I should add, the team at WF is being super helpful and created this image for me to better compare... TRAY_3.177-2.996-2.983.jpg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask wf for pictures comparing the I and J stones. If it were me, I would definitely stick with wf. Their customer service and upgrade policy is far above james allen, not to mention the ACA cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results