shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed- is the quote I’ve received over inflated? Am I better going somewhere else?

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Hi there, first time posting. For some context, I’ve been working with RingConcierge for the last few weeks in scoping my budget based on photos of their rings that my GF loves. She’s a big fan of their whisper thin setting with tapered baguettes, and hasn’t found any other jeweler with as thin and simple as theirs. They’ve also told me they will only work with me if I buy the stone through them (they’re middlemen), and afternoon seeing a thread here, it seems they will let you bring your own stone but customer service greatly suffers.

I’m looking for a round brilliant, excellent cut, 2.5-3.25 ct, colorless (d-f) and an eye-clean clarity grading, likely VSi1-Si1.

Based on this, the range I’m seeing from them is $37k-$42k. Based on what I’m seeing on the tool on pricescope, there are definitely some stones under this range but can’t tell if they’re actually eye clean (most are Si1).

Can anyone weigh in on the budget range they’ve given, and any feedback? Worth calling out I’m in NYC, open to any recommendations too. I’m nervous going outside of RC because of how much she loves their settings!

Thanks in advance!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's well within reasonable. You're looking at a large range.

Honestly, her resources' workmanship looks subpar in all the photos I've seen - unfinished interiors, prongs with needless gallery bulge, imprecise prong/shank attachment... And I hate to say it but there is, objectively, zero possibility of a shank this thin standing up to decades of daily wear.

1578721283922.png

Compare the above to Leon Mege's design and finish, for example:

1578721424698.png
1578721437464.png

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
That's well within reasonable.

Honestly, her resources' workmanship looks subpar in all the photos I've seen - unfinished interiors, prongs with needless gallery bulge, imprecise prong/shank attachment... And I hate to say it but there is, objectively, zero possibility of a shank this thin standing up to decades of daily wear.

1578721283922.png

1578721424698.png
1578721437464.png

That's well within reasonable.

1578721283922.png

1578721424698.png
1578721437464.png

Thank you! So I’m clear, you’re saying the quote on the stone is fair/in line with market or other dealers, but you’re not a fan of her craftsmanship?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! So I’m clear, you’re saying the quote on the stone is fair/in line with market or other dealers, but you’re not a fan of her craftsmanship?

Yes.
You can find stones that meet your criteria for under the cost they're quoting, but you'd have to do the work yourself, vs. having someone curate selections for you.
Post any specific stones they recommend here for evaluation.

And yes.
I'm not a fan of either her craftmanship or her design. I attribute her popularity to Instagram.
I can guarantee that the Whisper Thin design will not pass the test of time.

You may find this interesting and relevant -
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Yes.
You can find stones that meet your criteria for under the cost they're quoting, but you'd have to do the work yourself, vs. having someone curate selections for you.
Post any specific stones they recommend here for evaluation.

And yes.
I'm not a fan of either her craftmanship or her design. I attribute her popularity to Instagram.
I can guarantee that the Whisper Thin design will not pass the test of time.

You may find this interesting and relevant -
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/

thanks again, super helpful. Completely agree on IG fame- it’s what originally caught my GF’s eye. I went in today and we really narrowed in on my preferences and criteria, I didn’t see anything suitable but will be back in a few weeks with more tailored selection. I’d like to go to another store in NYC just to compare for myself.

out of curiosity- do you have a sense of how much I would save doing the leg work of finding the stone myself? I’m fine with the cost, but if I can reinvest that savings to get an even better/larger stone, I’m definitely interested

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quick look -

Hearts & Arrows boutique specialty stone with generous upgrade, buyback, and trade-in policies - 2.6ct F VS2 ACA - $44k wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4187419.htm

2.6 E VS2 from BN - $43k
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true

2.5 F VS2 from JA - $39k
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8289151

SI1 from virtual inventory in this size is going to be challenging - by the time stones hit virtual inventory all the particularly clean SIs, or SIs with prongable inclusions, have been snapped up.

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
A quick look -

Hearts & Arrows boutique specialty stone with generous upgrade, buyback, and trade-in policies - 2.6ct F VS2 ACA - $44k wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4187419.htm

2.6 E VS2 from BN - $43k
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true

2.5 F VS2 from JA - $39k
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8289151

SI1 from virtual inventory in this size is going to be challenging - by the time stones hit virtual inventory all the particularly clean SIs, or SIs with prongable inclusions, have been snapped up.

Good context and very helpful, thank you! This makes me feel pretty comfortable with the prices I’ve been told- don’t feel there’s that dramatic of a markup where I’m missing an opportunity to reinvest in the stone. Think I need to do more research on her settings, guaranteed, etc.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So much this. To me the subpar work and finish actually ends up making the entire ring look cheap.

I know super thin shanks are popular right now, but it just seems irresponsible for sellers to sell such thin settings without warning the buyer it's unlikely to hold up over time.

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
So much this. To me the subpar work and finish actually ends up making the entire ring look cheap.

I know super thin shanks are popular right now, but it just seems irresponsible for sellers to sell such thin settings without warning the buyer it's unlikely to hold up over time.

Thank you. Untrained eye here- what about that photo concerns you? I understand the size itself is concerning- but when you see this and think “cheap” or “subpar”- what is clueing you off?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!

Pricescope can be similar to a concierge because of the community’s keen understanding of what to look for (and especially what to avoid). The people who post here can help you find the stone that works for your needs - and there’s no fee for the expertise.

RC’s instagram images have started the ball rolling, and that’s great! I do hope you’ll widen your options to those vendors who have had long-standing excellence in quality and customer service, and have thrilled the PS community (who are not easily fooled, let’s say) with beautiful creations and excellent value for cost.

You’ll find a lot of photos of extremely fine detail here, and a lot of very savvy people who can help. It’s a great asset to leverage and I hope you’ll enjoy the process. :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see bent, mishapen shank, bent or sheared basket & prongs, and major vulnerability of the diamond to damage. This is a wear-for-an-hour-while-out-to-dinner setting. Both the diamond and the setting will suffer damage I have seen diamonds lost from sturdier, more secure settings. It looks like a temporary placeholder vs. a quality setting befitting a stone of that calibre because of it's thinness both in width and depth and its lack of fine finishing details.

Posters here have had structural issues with a similarly simple setting design with a 1.8mm shank made by a heralded designer, Leon Mege. So if his designs, which are proported to be well made, are not meant for regular wear and subject to easy damage, then I would be running from this setting myself.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @yungAppetite, it's really the level of finish with all the tiny details (e.g.unfinished interior, basket and shank does not look integrated seamlessly and appears bulky) and polish that differentiates that setting with the one from Leon that @yssie posted. On the hand (having owned both well made and average/mediocre pieces) there is a very discernible visual difference to the naked eye.

A comparison that comes to mind would be say, comparing a Patek Philippe watch to a Tag Heuer. To the casual observer who knows nothing about brands, at a glance they can probably tell the Patek looks much more refined and well made - precisely because it's all of the attention to detail in every single aspect that creates the overall look.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, first time posting. For some context, I’ve been working with RingConcierge for the last few weeks in scoping my budget based on photos of their rings that my GF loves. She’s a big fan of their whisper thin setting with tapered baguettes, and hasn’t found any other jeweler with as thin and simple as theirs. [emphasis added by MollyMalone] * * *
Hi, @yungAppetite :wavey:

There is a "whisper thin" 3-stone & a ring with round center stone and baguette side stones on RC's website, but I'm not seeing a "whisper thin setting with tapered baguettes" depicted on the site.
RingConcierge Jan 2020.png

So although I can't comment on the setting that's apparently captured your GF's fancy, I'd say that the standard round with baguette side stones is unremarkable; as I see it, the only distinctive aspect of the ring shown in this pic is a negative attribute, the sloppy prong placement: RingConcierge round with baguettes Jan 2020.png

FYI: Ring Concierge's settings are all cast, not hand-forged -- see The seven steps of crafting a Ring Concierge engagement ring toward the bottom of this "puff piece" re RC:

I have no idea what the price range of RC settings are (I assume the stated starting price of $12,000 refers to a complete ring, not the setting alone?!), but Steven Kirsch in NYC offers a more graceful rendition of a classic baguette setting -- his Trio Ring R-0153 -- that would be entirely hand-forged by him personally -- and he's a really nice guy with excellent customer service; will work with a center stone you bring to him or source the stone for you. Clicking on the link below will take you directly to the page for the Trio Ring setting:

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The video here shows the manufacturing process of a custom ring. Now, I don't know whether this particular maker is PS-reviewed, but it's not intended as a recommendation, merely a good explanation of bespoke techniques.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You’ve received a lot of good advice about settings. For a similar setting, have you checked out LaurenB jewelry in New York City? (See their instagram). They also source diamonds and have a nicely designed collection, including thin settings. I’ve also been impressed with Steven Kirsch, also in New York City. However, before you get to the setting, which might be out of vogue in a couple years or might be worn out due to fragility, don’t you think the diamond is the more important selection? For biggest bang for your budget I think maybe try focusing on non branded stones with superideal proportions, like Whiteflash’s Premium Select, or trying to find one through a diamond consolidator with videos and lab certificates here with our help, or through a vendor with settings you like. My concern with the current scenario is that Ring Concierge might not be focusing on near superideal stones. Cut makes a big difference. From my experience and perspective, getting close to an awesome cut is very important and it’s the diamond that makes the entire look of the ring.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not consider RC... her settings look like placeholders that would bend/break easily. I'd get my own stone via one of the great vendors recommended here on PS, then I would have Caysie Van Bebber, Steven Kirsch, Maytal Hannah, or David Klass make the setting.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my 2c....if you go with a thin setting make sure the band is tall and the head meets the band in more than one place, this will make it less fragile

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In NY, with your budget and requirements, I'd talk to Leon Mege. I have a couple of his halo rings but I know he does beautiful solitaire settings too. They're thin but very well made.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that you might strongly prefer to work with a local jeweler, but if you'd consider someone outside NYC, I'd recommend contacting Victor Canera. He has a wonderfully cunning way of setting the side baguettes without the 2 prongs typically seen on a tapered baguette's wider edge, closest to the center stone. E.g.,

Victor Canera Round Trilogy with baguettes.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That size diamond with that thin band— it’s going to spin is my guess and never be where it’s supposed to be.

L

lydial

OK: opinion time! I am a tapered baguette 3 stone wearer. She has great style! But: It is Completely Foolish to start with a setting and source a 35 thousand dollar stone to fit it. SMH! Nonononono!!! It is like starting with tires and sourcing a luxury car to fit the tires. Please: Look for the diamond of her dreams and then find a suitable ring or custom ring maker.
Re settings: on PS David Kirsch is a popular vendor for those who have a vision and a dream for a setting, but you need to be ready to design with them. Victor Canera has an LA business to source diamonds and design a beautiful setting around it and is famous for his pave halo settings. But he likes to source the diamonds.
The diamond cut and sparkle are the most important features. Read up on the “ideal” cut on this forum.
I personally have owned settings by Leon Mege and now own one by Steven Kirsch, both bespoke NYC jewelry artisans. Leon was a bit of an egotist - Steven was a gentleman. I also own a diamond and setting by High Performance Diamonds. That is the ring in my avatar. It is both delicate and sturdy. Your budget is low for a 3 ct E by HPD (check, they have one listed for 6 figures!) but you could get her a 3 ct J for 33 k. That direction would be my suggestion. They can build anything you dream of with the most beautiful stones in the world! Or look at diamonds from Whiteflash and source a 3 stone baguette setting through them. Go delicate but not too delicate. Unless she sits around looking pretty all day a whisper thin ring is impractical and a risk for losing her diamonds.

Last edited by a moderator:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. Untrained eye here- what about that photo concerns you? I understand the size itself is concerning- but when you see this and think “cheap” or “subpar”- what is clueing you off?

Yep, if you get the RC setting or a similarly thin one, be sure your girlfriend knows not to wear it when sleeping, showering, swimming (shouldn't wear rings while swimming anyway), doing chores/laundry/cleaning, carrying things, and to be quite careful how hard she grips things and whether or not she knocks her hands. Even with all that care, I'd expect to have to replace the setting within 10-15 years depending on exactly how hard she wears it, and possibly sooner.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned yet - what is the cut quality of the RC stones? Are you getting something akin to an ideal cut or is it just GIA Excellent?

For your budget, I would contact Steven Kirsch in NYC and work through him. His quality is impeccable.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have not heard great things about RC. Also, to receive subpar service just because you only purchase the mounting would make me want to run. There are many other people who do mountings like that. With that said, I have to tell you that putting a stone of the size you are looking to buy on that teensy thin shank is going to be a big spinning mess. Too top heavy. It will be very uncomfortable and would drive me nuts. Spending all day putting it back upright isn’t a great thing. I totally get the look... it’s gorgeous... giant diamond on a teensy band. But it’s not user friendly. Just something to think about.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
38D1C711-FA33-492E-8198-5DDE41808C95.jpeg

Prince Harry’s wife with her large stone on a thin band. Look at where it is. Her diamonds must be continually filthy.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
38D1C711-FA33-492E-8198-5DDE41808C95.jpeg

Prince Harry’s wife with her large stone on a thin band. Look at where it is. Her diamonds must be continually filthy.

Exactly my point!!!

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
Wow, I stopped receiving email notifications on this thread for some reason and it’s blown up... thank you so much for your help everyone! I can see why there’s so much love for this forum! I’m going back and replying specifically now- thank you thank you!

yungAppetite

Rough_Rock
I see bent, mishapen shank, bent or sheared basket & prongs, and major vulnerability of the diamond to damage. This is a wear-for-an-hour-while-out-to-dinner setting. Both the diamond and the setting will suffer damage I have seen diamonds lost from sturdier, more secure settings. It looks like a temporary placeholder vs. a quality setting befitting a stone of that calibre because of it's thinness both in width and depth and its lack of fine finishing details.

Posters here have had structural issues with a similarly simple setting design with a 1.8mm shank made by a heralded designer, Leon Mege. So if his designs, which are proported to be well made, are not meant for regular wear and subject to easy damage, then I would be running from this setting myself.

Thank you. To the untrained eye... are you really going to notice 1.4mm setting vs 1.8mm? I guess it is a 25% increase. She’s so fixated on how dainty that setting is, and hasn’t liked the setting from any other jeweler because of the bulkiness. I’m beginning to think I should just go with a single mounted stone with a more secure setting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results