shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed in reviewing cut for diamond studs - H&A vs ACA/AGA criteria

ckrice

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone and diamond experts here!

I have been looking for a pair of lab diamond studs for awhile and I have a few general questions if anyone can answer. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

When reviewing looking for diamonds, I use stone aglo search tools and narrow diamonds to ideal cut only (set depth and table % based on ACA criteria), then I refer to ACA criteria table (see below) and also a old AGA cut score table (see below, from my understanding 1A/1B are the best)

I noticed some of the IGI reports has comments of "hearts and arrows", while some of the ideal cut with specifications (crown angle/%, pavilon angle/%) matches ACA criteria and stone aglo with high cut score but the IGI report does not have "hearts & arrows".

How important is the comment of hearts and arrows if the diamond matches ACA criteria? Would you pick one that has both high cut score and with comments of hearts and arrows?

I have found Diamond A which matches all the ACA/ AGA criteria and with comments "H&A" (which I want). Would you pick Diamond B or Diamond C to match with Diamond A?
- Diamond B matches ACA criteria and has "H&A" but it is outside of the AGA 1A/1B cut grade, and I wasn't able to find a cut score on Stone aglo.
- Diamond C has high cut score on Stone aglo, matches ACA criteria & AGA 1A/1B cut grade, but doesn't have comments of "H&A".

I haven't run the Holloway Cut Calculator just yet. I would like to see what you guys think prior to running it.

Thank you so much again!

Diamond ADiamond BDiamond C
Depth %60.6%60.8%61.1%
Table %57%56%57%
GirdleMediumMediumMedium
Crown Angle34.13434.4
Pavilion Angle40.740.740.7
Crown Height14.5%15%15%
Pavilion Height43%43%43%
CommentsHearts & ArrowsHearts & Arrowsnone
Cut gradeIdealIdealIdeal
PolishEXEXEX
SymmetryEXEXEX
Stone Aglo Cut Score9.4not found9.6
wIVqrgC_jSSgj51XYBde3_OYtKlaGv9x6yjU2EhkC90tMnoQDY1loQVcF8S2eM4GKIh13FHbU5_eMsfcEmRcbDu9Fiz8XHpVjP2Z_eOYq-lnD8p25ZbLiIW8KCtqWqwvqIMoGBecgQgs3xIcsvj-pA

bwhwXDqwqvuFxwnU5tynTnol7hkeeoWqCxH6c_UA6FcJ9HguaLJu1cPOiABXuqBgq2HVy7Bghv1qiGLH_4FcBd8cC3mE5X46OCSWCvpXRkdknY-HnNjV9nMnhU1fz4ux1P6nprwycV6CfLmJSqhWdA

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take IGI's designation of "Ideal Cut" and "Hearts & Arrows" with a grain of salt. Some stones graded as Ideal Cut and H&A by IGI may have less than ideal light return, for example. You would need to ask for H&A images to evaluate whether they display true H&A. But if it makes you feel safer about the purchase, there's no reason not to look for reports with H&A.

All three of your stones will have an HCA score under 2. The best way to analyze them at this point is to get an ASET or Ideal-Scope image. If you have them on hold, can you post links to the videos?

ckrice

Rough_Rock
@Kim N Thank you so much for your opinions! :)
I remember asking the vendor (about other lab diamonds) and they don't provide ASET or ideal-scope images.
I will go head and reserve them and post the links the video after.

ckrice

Rough_Rock
so it turns out the diamonds I was looking at (with specs above) are no longer available.... :(
After reading other's posts, I noticed @Kim N and @DejaWiz have vetted for GCAL 8x. I did some research myself and found some options below but need help narrow down to one pair. Are any of these good options? Which pair do you think is the best in terms of light performance and fire and all other considered? Can any experts here provide their opinions? :appl:

Another question regarding inclusions: would you prefer one with cloud on bezel to upper girdle or one with crystals on table? or should I avoid them both? - See below 1.52/1.53 E VS1.

I currently have a pair of 0.66 ct each D VS1 studs and they are perfect size for daily wear and work. I would like to get a bigger pair for special occasion. Haven't decided on 1.3-1.4 ct or 1.5-1.6ct each... I am leaning towards 1.5-1.6ct more because of DSS? tho the price difference is about 20% while size difference is less than 10% :think: . Does anyone know if the size difference of 7.10 vs 7.40mm is noticeable on medium sized ear lobe and worth the price difference?

Pair 1: 1.55/1.57ct D/ VS1

Pair 2: 1.52 or 1.53/1.54 ct E VS1

(I was originally debating between the 1.53 vs this 1.52 ct to pair with the 1.54ct but I noticed 1.52 one has crystals on table while 1.53 one has cloud on bezel to upper girdle - I assume cloud on bezel is better?)

Pair 3: 1.32/1.35ct E VS1

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pair 1 is such an amazing match proportions-wise, but of course you'll save money going for E color over D. For pair 2, I like the 1.53 to go with the 1.54. 7.10mm vs 7.40mm will definitely be noticeable. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

ckrice

Rough_Rock
Pair 1 is such an amazing match proportions-wise, but of course you'll save money going for E color over D. For pair 2, I like the 1.53 to go with the 1.54. 7.10mm vs 7.40mm will definitely be noticeable. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

Thank you so much, @Kim N ! Do you think Pair 1 vs pair 2 differs in terms of fire or light performance? besides color and proportion, are they pretty much similar? Trying to decide if I should get Pair 1 or save some money and go with Pair 2....

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @Kim N ! Do you think Pair 1 vs pair 2 differs in terms of fire or light performance? besides color and proportion, are they pretty much similar? Trying to decide if I should get Pair 1 or save some money and go with Pair 2....

They perform very similarly to my eye! Have you already watched the fire videos?

ckrice

Rough_Rock
They perform very similarly to my eye! Have you already watched the fire videos?

Thank you!!!
I've watched all the videos and images provided. Since all the GCAL 8x assessment is new to me, I wasn't able to tell the differences among them... They all look similar to me

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!!!
I've watched all the videos and images provided. Since all the GCAL 8x assessment is new to me, I wasn't able to tell the differences among them... They all look similar to me

In that case, maybe just get Pair 2 and save some money?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I wouldn't want to pay more for D color studs. Esp bc they are in your ears and so rarely viewed close up. So I would save $$ and go w the E

ckrice

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your input!. Now I just have to finalize my decision on the carat size...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results