shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed for super reactive and sensitive skin...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

Clarins and Estee Lauder both have products for dry, sensitive skin. Both companies have great reputations, as you probably know.

Here's a Clarins sensitive-skin moisturizer: http://www.clarinsusa.com/en/gentle-care-day-cream/C010403001.html?start=8

This Estee Lauder cleanser says it's "truly gentle" and that it's for "ultra-sensitive" skin: http://www.esteelauder.com/product/681/2092/Product-Catalog/Skincare/Vrit/LightLotion-Cleanser

And the matching moisturizer: http://www.esteelauder.com/product/681/2089/Product-Catalog/Skincare/Vrit/Moisture-Relief-Creme

These companies usually stand by their products and I'm sure they would give you samples so you can test your reaction before splashing out on a full-size product.

Dr. Hauschka is another organic, gentle brand with a good reputation.

I have found that the gentle products in the more expensive brands like these use better-quality - and therefore gentler - ingredients than cheaper brands. (I'm talking about their gentle products targeted toward sensitive skin, of course, not their high-tech creams.)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Hi Missy

sorry to hear you're having so many troubles with your skin. I don't know if this would work for you or not, but have you tried any of the Dr. Alkaitis Organics products? I don't think the cleanser would work as it has olive oil and coconut oil in it, but the "Organic Soothing Gel" is incredible. It can be used as a moisturizer and is supposed to be for sensitive skin and rosacea, too. I've used it when a blemish has appeared and the blemish vanished with just 2 applications. I have found it very soothing to the skin. I ordered mine thru Luckyscent and you can check out all the ingredients and see what you think.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1421588934|3818387 said:
Thank you stepcutnut. I checked out the Weleda Calendula cream at whole foods but they had some iffy ingredients so I ended up purchasing Calendula Gel by Boiron. But it is just not moisturizing as it is a gel I guess. I have heard so many good things about Weleda Calendula cream though from many others so maybe I should just try it despite some of the ingredients. I am starting to feel a bit desperate.

That's the main reason I am just using straight unrefined cold pressed hemp oil as there are no additives or other ingredients in the mix. If that was working completely I would be content but my skin still needs something more for moisture I think and also for cleansing because I *think* the OCM method might be causing my face to get hives but again not sure. I feel like I need to be a super sleuth to figure out this complex maze that is my face and its reactions.

I am very tempted to add pure shea butter as I have heard so many great things about that but again Shea is supposedly bad for seborrheic dermatitis....something has to give though so I might just have to give something a try that I wasn't keen on trying before. I am just so afraid of making my face even worse and that is the only thing holding me back. That it can get worse believe it or not.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.
I was told by my boy's doctor that they fit a profile, asthma, allergies, eczema. I fit this profile too. I struggled for a long time trying to find something that would soothe their skin when it flared. Unrefined Shea butter has need an absolute Godsend! It heals their skin so quickly and it has nothing in it that burns the irritated skin.

Treating the allergies systemically helps the most.

I hope you find something soon. It sounds as though you are really suffering.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks VRBeauty, I will check skinactives out. I am tired now but I remember something was not good for me with regards to using Castor oil. I cannot remember the details but will research it tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi movie zombie, thanks for your suggestions too. Check on no EDTA and argan oil didn't work for my face either. I think it caused me to break out more but again not 100% certain. Just know it doesn't work for my face. I will check out Castor oil but I know I did some research before and realized I could not use Castor oil but I don't remember the reason. Will re read about it and see what is up with that.

I am glad it is working well for you and that your skin is behaving. I am getting frustrated as this has been going on for months now and I don't feel like I have any better of a handle on it unfortunately. It just changes but doesn't improve.

Jambalaya, thanks for your suggestions. I am going to look into them.
I agree that for the most part the more expensive products use more expensive ingredients. The big problem is their inactive ingredients. So many of the companies use ingredients I have to stay away from because I am sensitive to them. I would gladly pay anything I could afford to make my skin feel and look better. I took a look around both of these sites and Clarins looks promising and Estee Lauder doesn't even list the inactive ingredients so I will be giving them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

pinkjewel, thanks so much for these links! I ordered sample sizes of the Herbal Toner, the organic Nourishing Oil treatment and the Organic Purifying Facial Cleanser. Fingers crossed.

Thank you House Cat. I am so glad your son is doing well and you have found what gives him relief. Yes I am struggling and it is not just with my appearance though that is not making me happy. More so the discomfort is the real problem. I am trying to keep it in perspective and after these last 12 plus months you would think I could do that with no problem but I am not having an easy time of it. Perhaps it has been too many things to deal with and no rest in between and I feel overwhelmed and exhausted. Physically and emotionally. However I have moments of lucidity that I am trying to increase where I realize I will get through this and be OK. :pray:

I just have to keep going (thanks Winston Churchill and Kristie for reminding me of his wonderful wise words) and I will come through just fine. Then there's my mom who says this is life- one continuous thing after another. OMG I hope she is wrong or exaggerating because I need some peace soon and a little respite from all of this.

Thanks for your empathy and encouragement.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - last week I used the Beauty Chat function on the Estee Lauder website for the first time, for a number of questions about skincare (I've got horrible dark sunspots, despite always using high SPF, that seem nigh on impossible to shift). I spoke to three different advisors and they were all great; there's also a facility to upload a photo so the advisor can see your skin. They told me all about a new line for sunspots coming out, and all this other extra info that the staff at the Lauder counter in Macy's never mentioned.

I'd highly advise getting in contact with those advisors. They were so helpful, and I'm sure they will be able to provide you with lists of ingredients. I hold out hope that the Verite line might help you since Lauder is so sure it's for hyper-sensitive skin. Clarins prides itself on being natural and gentle, too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have VERY reactive and sensitive skin as well, and both conditions. I've learned the hard way that "natural" products and I do NOT get along. Plants and trees and weeds and I are NOT friends.

I've had decent luck with La Mer, some of the items anyway, and most recently, the First Aid Beauty ULTRA REPAIR CREAM. I started using it on my face when I was getting a massive patchy hive/reaction to something and NOTHING was working on it, and stopping all my products didn't have any affect. Using this actually somehow cleared it up.

http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-cream-P248407?skuId=1217744

Right out of the shower, I put my serums on and then use THIS as a face and body moisturizer. Once it soaks in, then I put on my LaMer soft cream. I put it all over my face including around my eyes, where I often get nasty patched rashes first. It sinks in well and does not irritate me. I don't know what it is that makes it work but it has not aggravated my rosacea, my excema OR my sebhorric dermatitis and has kept them all in control.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi missy,

have you tried using diluted (with water) glycerin as a moisturizer?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your skin woes, that is truly frustrating!

I haven't read everyone's recommendations (there's so many!) but maybe one to consider is Tamanu oil. There's nothing else in it, it's anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial but still quite moisturizing. I use it 1-2 times a day. It absorbs quickly. There's lots of oils out there and I've tried many (ie: grape seed absorbs quickly but isn't very moisturizing; argon, tea tree, and others). I like tamanu the best by far.

Here's a description of tamanu oil: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/tamanu-oil/profile

By the by, my dermatologist put me onto the tamanu oil. Otherwise I would never have heard of it. It's not s easy to find as other oils.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I was dx with rosacea and had PD at the time. After trying 93840938402384023 products from the dermatologist, the only thing that cleared up the PD was Elidel cream (its an off label use). After clearing it up 5-6 years ago - it has not come back (thank god). I tried Oracea, but it didn't work well for me. Right now, i pretty much only use Aveeno products and bare minerals makeup. For little breakouts of dermatitis i use Locoid cream. I had to stop the elidel because of the 1 in a million side effect of numbness, flushing (pretty much feeling like my face fell off) the minute my tongue hit any alcohol...LOL. I couldn't even take a sip!

Hope you are able to find a regimen that works!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1421629205|3818638 said:
I have VERY reactive and sensitive skin as well, and both conditions. I've learned the hard way that "natural" products and I do NOT get along. Plants and trees and weeds and I are NOT friends.

I've had decent luck with La Mer, some of the items anyway, and most recently, the First Aid Beauty ULTRA REPAIR CREAM. I started using it on my face when I was getting a massive patchy hive/reaction to something and NOTHING was working on it, and stopping all my products didn't have any affect. Using this actually somehow cleared it up.

Right out of the shower, I put my serums on and then use THIS as a face and body moisturizer. Once it soaks in, then I put on my LaMer soft cream. I put it all over my face including around my eyes, where I often get nasty patched rashes first. It sinks in well and does not irritate me. I don't know what it is that makes it work but it has not aggravated my rosacea, my excema OR my sebhorric dermatitis and has kept them all in control.

ame thanks for the info. We are skin sisters it seems and I am very sorry you have trouble skin too. I get hives on my face as well. I am very pleased you found a skin care regimen that works well for you!

Could you give me a little more detail on the serums you use on your face and the LaMer cream you use and how/when you use the Ultra Repair Cream?

It's funny because a few weeks ago I was in Sephora and saw that Ultra Repair Cream from First Aid Beauty but it had a few ingredients I wanted to stay away from so I didn't get it. BUT now based on your recommendation and my level of frustration at not finding anything that provides relief I am going to give it a try. Thanks so much.

Jambalaya, thanks for the additional info and I will be giving Estee Lauder a call and investigate Clarins further as well.

Julie, no I haven't tried that. Do you have a recommendation as to where I can purchase pure glycerin? I am not sure how I tolerate glycerin as I have an acquaintance who has reactive skin (rosacea and dermatitis) like me and she has a problem with glycerin but I am willing to give it a go. Thanks very much.

maccers, Thank you for that recommendation and I actually have Tamanu oil. However it is formulated with SeaBuckthorn oil and I wonder if it would work better by itself? I got this from Chagrin Valley and it is supposed to be good for rosacea and inflammation etc. Right now I haven't had the courage to put it all over my face rather I use it on small areas when I have red bumps appearing and so far it doesn't appear to be reducing inflammation etc but again I have only been applying sparingly and spot treating because I want to make sure my face doesn't react badly to it. Now I wonder if I should just purchase straight Tamanu without the seabuckthorn. Here is the product I have.
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/for-the-face/moisturizers/facial-oils/facial-oil-seabuckthorn-tamanu

You are lucky that your dermatologist has these kinds of recommendations for you. Mine is an excellent doctor however he has no clue regarding skin creams etc. I would have loved some guidance from him besides the statement that no I cannot do Zero Therapy and I must moisturize LOL.

LoveLikeCrazy, Sorry you have issues with your skin too but glad you found a routine that works for the most part. I tried Elidel and it just caused my skin to get worse and the bumps and redness spread. I cannot tolerate topical meds no way no how. If the last decade has taught me anything it is that. PLEASE be careful with Locoid. Yes it clears up POD but it can make it explode when you stop. That was what I was on for only a few days when everything went nuts and out of control. Topical steroids are contraindicated for perioral dermatitis and rosacea. I know you said you only use it short term for little outbreaks but please tread carefully. I do not want you suffering with a steroid rebound. Thank you for the Aveeno tip and I am going to check that out. Hope you continue having good skin days!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Missy, glad you ordered some samples to try. please let me know how they work for you. But did you order the "organic soothing gel"? It's my favorite product and the one that my literature says is great for rosacea, too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1421665612|3818800 said:
ame|1421629205|3818638 said:

ame thanks for the info. We are skin sisters it seems and I am very sorry you have trouble skin too. I get hives on my face as well. I am very pleased you found a skin care regimen that works well for you!

Could you give me a little more detail on the serums you use on your face and the LaMer cream you use and how/when you use the Ultra Repair Cream?

It's funny because a few weeks ago I was in Sephora and saw that Ultra Repair Cream from First Aid Beauty but it had a few ingredients I wanted to stay away from so I didn't get it. BUT now based on your recommendation and my level of frustration at not finding anything that provides relief I am going to give it a try. Thanks so much.
Sure!

I balked for YEARS at the LaMer stuff, because, frankly, it's absurdly priced, and has no "Actives" in it. But it's one of those lines that has some natural ingredients and some sciencey ingredients and the products that I use have not flared me up. Anything that does, I take right back to Nordstrom. I start with little samples of everything before I ever buy.

I started with the cleansing gel. That has been my holy grail of face cleansers and I don't ever change it now. I stock pile it now because I've run out mid batch (they only make two batches a year) and panicked. I don't like the foam they make, just this one. When I first am getting into the shower, I remove my makeup with DHC Cleansing Gel (it is olive oil based, and of all the brands of cleansing oils I've used, a small LaMer travel size included, I keep going back to it). You use it on dry face and then add water to emulsify. Then I go about my shower, using the La Mer cleansing gel at the very end to make sure no conditioner or anything remains on my skin. I only pat dry my face with a fresh paper towel. NEVER my body towel.

About a year after I had been using the cleansing gel, I decided to try a few other things. I started with one of the "sets" they sell during Anniversary at Nordstrom. It came with the original cream, the regenerating serum, the eye balm and a cleansing gel in a travel size (which I refill and travel with). The original cream is fine in the winter but too much year round for me. I didn't love the eye balm, but I LOVED the serum. It's more of a creamy serum than a traditional serum. That was the next item I bought a full size of. Out of the shower, I would mist with the Mario Badescu facial mist ($7 at Ulta or Nordstrom!) and then put that on, then my retinoids and meds, and then moisturizer. I never wash my face in the morning, IF I did, it was bec I showered in the morning, but I usually only do that at night. In the morning I spray my face with either the MB mist or the LaMer mist and put my Moisturizer on while my skin is damp. Then my makeup.

Anyway, over time I'd try other things, and since I couldn't get a sample I bought and I liked their mist despite the price, didn't love their radiant serum or their new firming serum, didn't love other moisturizers, didn't love their sunscreen, tried the concentrate and I am still figuring it out (it's more traditional serum but the bottle and how you decant the serum is stupid!), and found the Soft Cream when it came out, which is WAY awesome for me year round. I now have my "regimen" of what I like from the brand, and what doesn't bother my face. I don't ALWAYS use it every day, esp when my face goes nuts with the hives. I can never identify what is making it happen. I had a Vitamin C serum from a natural brand I ADORED, used two bottles of and then suddenly on my third my face went bonkers. I never identified what that was.

I discovered the First Aid Beauty a few months ago after seeing it at Sephora and watching it on QVC. I kept seeing it in magazines and reading about it on forums and everyone was talking about it on an eczema forum that it worked better for them than Elidel was...and Elidel was not always helping my flares, esp on my face. I figured I'd try it and see if it worked, so I started with a small tube from the travel section at Sephora. Just in a couple days with like 3 applications, it worked a hell of a lot faster on most of my flareups than my medication did. My chest/neck area flares up SO badly and fast. And then I scratch at it and it gets 10x worse.

So that was a huge boon for me and I ended up ordering a 4-jar special from QVC around the holidays and I've been using it like crazy on my face and arms and chest and even my hands, where I also get annoying flares, sometimes between my fingers. I have only used about 1/2 the first jar, and still have three left and I use it almost every night. You don't need much. I put the little tube in my travel bag. It's helped my KP even. My elbows and upper arms have never been so clear and that's huge for me, considering I have an RX for that also. Yes, It's got ingredients I am not crazy about either, including something like eucalyptus or menthol, but for some reason it's working for me SO WELL. It soaks in almost immediately.

Basically at night, I use the DHC cleansing oil getting into the shower. Shower, wash hair, condition hair, wash body (with either Dove, Honest or Aveeno body washes), then wash face with the La Mer gel. Dry body with towel, pat face dry with fresh paper towel. Mist face with facial mist. Apply La Mer regenerating serum. Apply eye serum (Estee Lauder). Apply La Mer Concentrate (not every night.) Apply medications, like Differin and Finacea as needed). wait about 10 minutes. Detangle hair and mist on leave in (cover face) and comb through. Wrap hair up to soak up water. Apply Living Proof Prime and comb through. Wash hands really well. Dry with paper towel. Apply First Aid Beauty Repair cream to face. Let soak in. Apply LaMer soft cream once soaked in. Apply Elidel if needed. Apply vaseline over top of elidel if needed.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, could you share what retinoids you are on? Thank you! I've been using 10% glycolic acid moisturizer and I think I'm ready to try a retinoid. A few years ago i bought the retinoid that is perfume free because the other affordable retinoids all had tons of fragrances, I thought they smelled like an old lady's perfume collection bleh.

Missy, I have used Boiron calendula on me and my Westies too, first learned about it from a holistic vet we saw for the dogs' allergies. Anyhoo, I did well with the calendula cream but the gel gave me patchy inflamed spots. If you try it, maybe try the cream and not the gel?

Missy, are you getting any sunlight on your face these days? I know its cold out. The dermatologists where I worked always told the POD and seb derm sufferers to get sunlight on their faces every day.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1421665612|3818800 said:
maccers, Thank you for that recommendation and I actually have Tamanu oil. However it is formulated with SeaBuckthorn oil and I wonder if it would work better by itself? I got this from Chagrin Valley and it is supposed to be good for rosacea and inflammation etc. Right now I haven't had the courage to put it all over my face rather I use it on small areas when I have red bumps appearing and so far it doesn't appear to be reducing inflammation etc but again I have only been applying sparingly and spot treating because I want to make sure my face doesn't react badly to it. Now I wonder if I should just purchase straight Tamanu without the seabuckthorn. Here is the product I have.
http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/for-the-face/moisturizers/facial-oils/facial-oil-seabuckthorn-tamanu

You are lucky that your dermatologist has these kinds of recommendations for you. Mine is an excellent doctor however he has no clue regarding skin creams etc. I would have loved some guidance from him besides the statement that no I cannot do Zero Therapy and I must moisturize LOL.

I've never heard of seabuckthorn! I will have to read up on it. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use that formulation, as it also contains jojoba oil. For some reason, jojoba oil doesn't agree with my skin (I break out and get itchy).

I can't believe your dermatologist doesn't make product recommendations. To me, that's a head scratcher! :think: Then again, I try to use 'natural/organic' products as opposed to brand names, so maybe he feels comfortable saying "check out XYZ oil" versus "Use this expensive over the counter product".

I just looked at LaMer! Oh my, the price! Did you know that "Magnetized tourmaline, a natural gemstone, powers all of La Mer’s cleansers. It helps dissolve excess oil without disrupting skin’s natural moisture balance. Skin looks refreshed and revitalized." TOURMALINE! :D

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I rotate between Tazorac cream, Differin .1 (01?) and Differin .3 (03?) right now. I also have AcZone which I hate, Finacea which is meh, and will likely go back on RetinA this year. I know there's at least one more in my drawer that I cannot think of. All are RX. Good OTC ones to try are by ROC.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
maccers|1421688512|3818905 said:
I just looked at LaMer! Oh my, the price! Did you know that "Magnetized tourmaline, a natural gemstone, powers all of La Mer’s cleansers. It helps dissolve excess oil without disrupting skin’s natural moisture balance. Skin looks refreshed and revitalized." TOURMALINE! :D
It is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, but that cleansing gel lasts me like 9-12 months a bottle lol. And is one of the few that has never freaked my face out. I've tried LOTS of stuff, and this really is one of the few that has not given me a reaction. That alone makes it worth the while.

I love Chagrin Valley's Whipped Squalane Face and Eye Mousse. I use that a lot too.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI you can order the First Aid Beauty from there website and use the code "fabulous" for 30% off!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, Thank you for that wonderfully detailed explanation how to use the products! I feel like I need a phD in skincare and makeup LOL and I am definitely at the bottom of the class when it comes to this stuff. I wish I could use those topical meds you can because I feel like that would help me improve faster than just oral meds but my skin goes nuts with any topical meds and makes it so much worse for me. I've tried them all over the last 8 years and my skin just cannot tolerate it.

I went to Sephora and City Chemist today and met with the aesthetician they have on staff at City Chemist. She was very helpful and gave me samples of what she felt would be helpful for my skin. At Sephora I got a sample of the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. I figure I have so many unused full bottles of skin care due to the last couple of months of experimenting that I should be a bit conservative now. So hoping that it calms my skin down.

I am planning to go to Nordstrom at some point and either buying or getting samples if possible of your other recommendations. I am definitely interested in your strong recommendations of La Mer cleansing gel and soft cream. Thank you again for that detailed explanation of how to use everything. I feel like the slow kid in the class when it comes to this stuff. The aesthetician had to write everything down on how to use the samples she gave me LOL.

pinkjewel, when I read the descriptions of everything it said the soothing gel was for oily sensitive skin so I did not think it would be suitable for my very dry skin...however if you think it is still worth trying I could just order a sample sizes of that too. My skin is very dry.

Jambalaya, I couldn't find your specific Clarins recommendation at Sephora or City Chemist today though they both carry the Clarins line for some reason they don't carry the sensitive skin moisturizer. So I will have to order it online or wait till I get to the department store. I just wanted to see it in person and read the ingredients before ordering but I am not in a rush since I can only try a few new things at a time. Still on my list!

The Estee Lauder products you recommended were at the City Chemist but I looked at the ingredient list and am holding off on that for now. The aesthetician there also thought it had too many ingredients for my skin to handle but I have not eliminated it from my to try list if the other things I am trying don't work out. Thank you so much for your advice and help. I didn't get a chance to talk online to the companies today but am planning to do so tomorrow to see what they have to say about what they might recommend.

Kristie, the Calendula cream had a couple of ingredients I didn't want to use and that is why I ended up getting the gel but I can always just pick up the cream and try it if you think it might be helpful. I feel like I might be being too careful with the ingredients but since I am out of what is familiar and comfortable for me I am lost and just navigating the best I can yanno? I researched what ingredients are good and what are bad in general and then what to avoid for my specific conditions and it is complicated.

I take vitamin D because I have to avoid the sun on my face. It is contraindicated for rosacea and POD and the jury is still out for seborrheic dermatitis and the sun. And to make matters worse I cannot wear my sunblock for now due to the POD so I have to protect my face from the sun for now. Bummer I know. :((

maccers, OMG I forgot it had jojoba. No wonder I broke out last night when I applied it. Veritable minefield. Thanks for that reminder. I might just order straight Tamanu from where you recommended to get it. Yeah I was just discussing the fact with my dh that my dermatologist makes no product recommendations for skin care. I respect my derm and he is knows his stuff but he does his patents a disservice by not caring for the whole person. I mean that's part of the skin care treatment isn't it? What products you can and cannot use on your face. Not just the meds. Oh well. Thank you again. LOL Tourmaline! I would rather wear it than apply it haha.

Asscherhalo, thanks for that tip. If the First Aid Beauty agrees with my skin perhaps they will still be having the sale. Ame, you should stock up!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea it's worth a shot to try it, esp since it's not exactly inexpensive. Cost per use makes it worth it, in relative terms, since my face hasn't freaked out too much since using any of it. I THINK Nordstrom also sells the First Aid Beauty stuff as well, though I haven't seen it in either of my local stores.

It's all been trial and error for me. You just try it all out and see what it does, essentially.

If I didn't have three more jars unopened I would!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, First Aid Beauty is a no-go for me: first product I looked at has EDTA in it and I am highly allergic to that chemical. sigh.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I know that it says that people with oily skin can use the soothing gel as a moisturizer, but it is mainly used to calm irritated skin, rosacea, hives, or other allergic reactions so I thought it might help with calming your skin, although you may still need a moisturizer in addition since your skin is so dry. I think it might be worth a try.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1421704175|3819033 said:
Yea it's worth a shot to try it, esp since it's not exactly inexpensive. Cost per use makes it worth it, in relative terms, since my face hasn't freaked out too much since using any of it. I THINK Nordstrom also sells the First Aid Beauty stuff as well, though I haven't seen it in either of my local stores.

It's all been trial and error for me. You just try it all out and see what it does, essentially.

If I didn't have three more jars unopened I would!

Yes I agree. You sure do not need to stock up on that for now haha. Continuing my trial and error. Fingers crossed. Thanks Ame!

pinkjewel said:
Missy, I know that it says that people with oily skin can use the soothing gel as a moisturizer, but it is mainly used to calm irritated skin, rosacea, hives, or other allergic reactions so I thought it might help with calming your skin, although you may still need a moisturizer in addition since your skin is so dry. I think it might be worth a try.

Hi pinkjewel, thanks for your input. I will order it then because it is worth trying based on your experience with it. I get hives so often on my face lately and it would be amazing if that calmed the reaction down. Thanks so much!

movie zombie|1421705147|3819040 said:
well, First Aid Beauty is a no-go for me: first product I looked at has EDTA in it and I am highly allergic to that chemical. sigh.

That was what almost stopped me from getting it but I am desperate at this point to find something that will be calming and soothing so I figure it is worth a shot for me. Since you have other better options (EDTA is not the best ingredient anyway) I would definitely stay away from this one. I am only going for it because I feel I have fewer options and since ame is doing well with it and we have similar conditions I am going to try it. But nervous because I don't want to make things worse. I am glad you have other products you are doing well with mz.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first time I tried it, I was not sure what to expect. My skin gets so raw, and normally IS so raw, that water, air, anything BURNS like crazy. Just...madness. So this stuff burned going on--but ANYTHING burns me. But now that I am used to this stuff, my face has calmed down SO MUCH and very little burns going on.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glycerine is available from craft stores and drugstores. Its very cheap.

Water and glycerine are major components of almost all moisturizers, usually within the top 5 ingredients. If you cannot tolerate a water and glycerine mixture, that would eliminate a good portion of commercial products. For example, the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, H2O is first, glycerin is third in the ingredients list.

Glycerine is very tacky so you have to dilute it with water... unfortunately I don't measure the ratio... try 1 part glyc to 5 parts H2O to start, mix in a small bottle, and leave space in the bottle to change up the ratio if you desire.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Missy,

I'm very sorry to read about the trouble you've had lately. Have you come across this, or any of the discussions about sea salt for this problem? One interesting idea is that seb. dermatitis is caused by yeast on the skin, which could be attributable to an imbalance of flora in the gut, blood sugar levels, or an undiagnosed low level bacterial infection.

In any case, the given thoughts are that this yeast can feast on any natural oils, regardless of their antibacterial powers. Maybe something to come back to if natural oils don't help.

On the issue of skincare I can recommend all organic botanical solutions, minus or with minimal oils. A good website for this here. Hope this helps.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I woke up this morning with a number of new pimples (think they are pimples) and am just not sure why. I did not yet try any new products (thankfully or else I would have thought it was caused by that-so challenging trying to figure this out). My only guess is the hemp OCM is causing me to get pimples as pimples are not my MO. Even though hemp oil has a comodogenic factor of 0 the OCM might be aggravating my skin. Not sure. Ugh.

Also after researching some of the products the aesthetician gave me yesterday I cannot use many of them. She loves Avene for my skin issues and since I am already using their thermal water I thought OK. But some of the products she gave me to trial have fragrance and other chemicals that I know will irritate. So lesson learned. Just because someone is in the skin care field and one has explained what they cannot tolerate doesn't mean you are going to be safe trying what they recommend. She is really nice but not sure what happened there as definitely a disconnect happened. I mean she gave me skin cream with chemical sunscreen in it. After I told her I cannot tolerate any chemical sunscreen and also didn't want any sunscreen in my moisturizers. OK no harm no foul as I didn't try any of the new products yet.

JulieN|1421727623|3819206 said:
Glycerine is available from craft stores and drugstores. Its very cheap.

Water and glycerine are major components of almost all moisturizers, usually within the top 5 ingredients. If you cannot tolerate a water and glycerine mixture, that would eliminate a good portion of commercial products. For example, the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, H2O is first, glycerin is third in the ingredients list.

Glycerine is very tacky so you have to dilute it with water... unfortunately I don't measure the ratio... try 1 part glyc to 5 parts H2O to start, mix in a small bottle, and leave space in the bottle to change up the ratio if you desire.

Thanks Julie. I will check that out. Of course it did cross my mind that I might be sensitive to glycerine because someone I know who has similar skin to me cannot tolerate glycerine and because of that she makes her own moisturizer with hemp oil and shea butter and that works amazingly well for her. However being I cannot use shea (at least in major quantities not sure about smaller amounts of shea that is in some moisturizers) I am interested in other options. Thanks for this and I will let you know how it goes if I try it. The challenge for me is figuring out what ingredients I cannot tolerate but with this option it will be very clear if I react to glycerine. As I know I am OK with Avene thermal water. At least that is one OK for me ingredient haha.

Aeolianarpa said:
Missy,

I'm very sorry to read about the trouble you've had lately. Have you come across this, or any of the discussions about sea salt for this problem? One interesting idea is that seb. dermatitis is caused by yeast on the skin, which could be attributable to an imbalance of flora in the gut, blood sugar levels, or an undiagnosed low level bacterial infection.

In any case, the given thoughts are that this yeast can feast on any natural oils, regardless of their antibacterial powers. Maybe something to come back to if natural oils don't help.

On the issue of skincare I can recommend all organic botanical solutions, minus or with minimal oils. A good website for this here. Hope this helps.

Hi Aeolianarpa, thanks very much for those websites.

I did see that first website you linked and also read a lot of other literature pro dead sea salt. I tried it on my scalp a few months ago and it was OK but I didn't notice any change at all and after a few weeks I stopped because it was a pain to do. There is no way I could try this on my face with the condition it is in now. Plus my skin is overly dry and I imagine putting the sea salt on my face would be quite harsh. Everyone is different and I know that at least at this time I cannot try putting this on my face.

I do agree with the author in that the offending causes for our particular issues must be eliminated. I have gotten rid of all SLS, SLES, fluoride, peppermint, cinnamon, certain preservatives etc and am still trying to figure it out.

I eat a good quality probiotic source every day but am still struggling with what is causing my health issues that are manifesting as seborrheic dermatitis, POD, and rosacea. I know it is in part due to genetics though and I am not quitting searching but I also get that I might not be able to be 100% successful in finding and eliminating all my specific causes and am looking for something to help control my symptoms as best I can.

Thanks for the beauty habit website link. I like that website and will search around and see if there is anything else that might be helpful and safe to try. I appreciate you taking the time to offer me advice and help. Thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if any of you guys have experience with TRIXERA EMOLLIENT CREAM by Avène?

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/avene/_/TriXera-Emollient-Cream

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=21308/Trixera-Emollient-Cream/Avene-/Lotions/-Creams

It has a number of the "bad" ingredients but I am curious if anyone here has ever used it and what their thoughts are...fwiw the aesthetician yesterday told me that mineral oil varies quite a bit depending on the company using it. For example the mineral oil Avene uses is high quality but the mineral oil ponds uses is low quality...That makes sense but I don't know if what she says is correct re mineral oil is a good ingredient. I thought it didn't let the skin breathe and therefore was not something you wanted to use everyday.

Also, while going through the huge number of full bottles of new products I have accumulated over the last few months I realized I had bought La Roche Posay Toleraine Cleanser and just looked it up in Paula's Choice:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/la-roche-posay/Toleriane/_/Toleriane-Dermo-Cleanser

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/product-reviews/my-dry-sensitive-skin-says-oui-to-la-roche-posay-toleriane-dermo-cleanser/

However as with every single product I have researched there are mixed reviews.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=3/pagesize=10/ItemID=29194/SortBy=helpful/AgeRange=0/SkinToneType=2/

Since Paula rates it highly and I have a new full bottle I might give that a try today. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this cleanser? Thanks.

Akvileja

Rough_Rock
missy said:
Also, while going through the huge number of full bottles of new products I have accumulated over the last few months I realized I had bought La Roche Posay Toleraine Cleanser and just looked it up in Paula's Choice:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/la-roche-posay/Toleriane/_/Toleriane-Dermo-Cleanser

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/product-reviews/my-dry-sensitive-skin-says-oui-to-la-roche-posay-toleriane-dermo-cleanser/

However as with every single product I have researched there are mixed reviews.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=3/pagesize=10/ItemID=29194/SortBy=helpful/AgeRange=0/SkinToneType=2/

Since Paula rates it highly and I have a new full bottle I might give that a try today. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this cleanser? Thanks.

I have sensitive and dry skin. A few years ago I also had perioral dermatitis that thankfully got under control using Finacea. My skin on my face only tolerates very gentle products and absolutely no fragrance. Even some fragrance free products have ingredients that have a strong smell and that irritates my skin and makes it red. But you seem to have a more sensitive skin than I do.

I use this La Roche Posay Toleraine Cleanser and it works for me. It does its job to clean my face, and it doesn't irritate my skin.

For moisturisers my magical ingredient is urea. I only use face creams, body lotions, hand creams and foot balms with urea. If you are really dry, the urea will burn at first. I usually find the creams at the pharmacy. I'm not in the US so I don't have products to recommend.

My skin cannot tolerate the skin care routines that often are recommended. I clean my face in the evening and moisturise. In the morning I only use water and then moisturise. Cleaning more frequently is too much for my face. More products with active ingredients such as serums and toners is also too much. I do exfoliate, but not very often.

I read a post on "the other forum", the one about purses, about allergens in cosmetics and how the poster reacted to ingredients in skin care products where the ingredients were made from plants she was allergic to. And it was not very obvious in the list of ingredients what they were produced from. If you have allergies, you might want to look more into that. I'm sure you can find the post if you want to read her experiences.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Missy,

You know I was concerned about oils and butters, I would not use most, the shea butter caused problems for me on my face as well. Hemp, I have had the same problem with that you did, it simply does not moisturize my skin. I too have bad problems with mine including eczema, slight seb derm of course only now that I am nearing 40 and my mom has suspected a mild case of PD.

As I told you before my problems went away almost completely when I started using La Mer. I used to love Lauder but it was no longer working either, anything else aggravated my skin. Nothing will do a 100 % job but my problems are severe, my hands regularly look like I have second degree burns especially now in winter. My face tends to have red flaky spots, weird little breakouts all over, etc. I also have extremely dry skin that cannot tolerate most things and have severe allergies. When I used to go to the beauty salon, I no longer get facials, I would react so badly that my whole face was like chili pepper.

This fall things got really bad and I was desperate so I bought La Mer knowing it is famous for transforming skin, it certainly did mine. There will still be days when for hormonal reasons I may have some red areas and a couple little breakouts but they last a day or two max, this is something I always got. Otherwise, I would say my skin is 90 % better on it and was even a few days after starting on the regime.

My favorite products: well, hand cream for sure was a life saver for me, nothing else worked, not shea butter, but Clinique Deep moisture, etc. etc. with the La Mer hand cream once I put that one the red areas faded out. For face, which is the most important to you: I actually use the cleanser (have not tried the gel yet as this was in the package), I love love love the toner on cotton balls. I then use the Regenerating Serum followed by either the Original Cream or the Soft Cream. Tried both. I have also tried the Lifting Serum. Love the Eye Concentrate. Best eye cream I ever tried. What is best for moisturizing your skin, I would go with the Soft Cream, I love the original too but for me it is perfect when weather is extreme but you cannot go wrong with the soft cream, that was what I tried first and love perhaps the most. I would also highly recommend the Regenerating Serum, in my opinion you get the best results when you use them together. If you have oilier days, you can just use the Serum. Lifting Serum is ok but not as good as the regenerating and that is what we need anyhow. If you were to buy just one product to try for moisture, then I would go with the Soft Cream. I was in awe when I first tried that alone. I had not believed the hype but it has proven to be true for me.

I can check the ingredient list for you but now I must go to bed soon as I am working for three days in a row. Hope you get some good recommendations.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Missy, to add, I may be in the minority but I do not find Paula to be impartial or very helpful as far as reviews go. She wants to sell her own products. She has some helpful info, I read her site a lot but though she does recommend Lauder in general which I love, I find that many of her claims are unfounded, saying this as remember my mom is a derm too. Just my opinion but as with everything you find online, take the info with a grain of salt.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results