shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - need some pscope support.. how to love this stone..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
It has all the numbers. It''s in my hand. It''s really a beautiful stone.

The problem is..

It doesn''t match up to the way my old stone looked. It was a beautiful eye catching stone that was blindingly white and sparkled like there''s no tomorrow. A neutral friend at work agreed. All agree it''s beautiful. period.

The new stone, by all accounts is a beautiful stone, but it''s not the same. The specs are great. But, I have to admit, it doesn''t sparkle like the old one. Don''t get me wrong - it does have everything it needs.. but I''m now stuck.

First thing. We went from a well cut F to a well cut H. My husband and I both can see the color, and I can see it''s more warm in certain lights. He is color sensitive more than I, - but I think we can get over that.

I don''t think it was just the color that made it so icy, blinding white. BUTTTT maybe it is. Apples to apples. H&A to H&A. HCA 1 to HCA 1.2

We went down on color to gain size. 1.5ct vs 2.0

So here''s the thing I need you to tell me.

a) Shut up, keep the 2ct stone. You are just being critical because you are part of this pscope forum and you were taught to be.

b) Look for other options, if non show up in short order, keep the beautiful stone you have.

c) Hold out. Wait, or go smaller to get matching performance. If you don''t you''ll forever wish that you did.

HEEEELP ME

-Signed
Crazy woman who is in desparate need of logic
32.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I think you know the answer to your own question, but I''ll say C for the sake of the survey. You''d only ask this question if you weren''t sure you wanted to keep the stone, so hold out for one you''ll love as much or more than the broken one.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! As an extremely color-sensitive person, I vote Option B.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, the thing is it''s more my husband than me. I change my mind about it each 15 minutes. I''m currently performing option B. The only reason I had second guessed was due to his comments... ARRH.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. Tough call indeed. I''m the kind of person who likes to talk myself into things...try to tell myself I''ll be happy...when inside I know the truth. For that reason, I say hold out. I guess everyone here thinks I"m in the minority, but there IS a difference between an F and H..and not to mention that you went up .50 so there is more body color to see. If you can see the color and that''s part of what''s bothering you, I bet you''d be happy with a G...but color might not be the only problem. No matter what numbers are, there is just a special something about some stones. I bet you CAN find that again!!! Just not maybe with this stone? You need to have a sit down with yourself and be TOTALLY honest...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2005 11:22:39 AM
Author: moremoremore
I guess everyone here thinks I'm in the minority, but there IS a difference between an F and H..

Nobody denies that there is a difference between F and H; it's just that NORMAL people can't see the difference!!
28.gif
9.gif
Luv ya MMM! (I'm feeling punchy today it seems)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!
41.gif
41.gif
(although a teeny tiny part of me thinks that some can see it too, they just deny it...but not all)..... Heck, I'd be psyched if I couldn't see it. I'd have some MAJOR bling!!
1.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If he is not happy about it and you are not happy about him not being happy, well that pretty well answers the question. Never settle!

Wink

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2005 11:22:39 AM
Author: moremoremore
H No matter what numbers are, there is just a special something about some stones.

I totally agree with you here. Who knew that stones can have a personality?
37.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You CAN find it again! I know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Go back to a F color! You and your husband are probably so used to F/colorless diamonds that you can not go to near colorless. I don''t think that bigger is always better IMHO.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you didn''t mention anything about the difference in size....it seems like if that were a major priority, it would outweigh anything else....even the color. that being the case, maybe you should go little smaller and get the color that you want.
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I vote C with a little B in it. I say keep looking for a stone that is F and has the old sparkle that drew you in. Maybe it is an emtional thing, this isnt your stone. But maybe it isnt. I would wait to have the one that speaks to you and your SO before making it final.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Now I''m back to liking it again.

As far as size was concerned - the unfortunate accident led us to upgrade. Hubby said that the 1.5 started to look small after I added my weddding band. This stone - which he DOES like the size, covers over the wedding band.

So it was HE who said go bigger.

I am trying to make a decision in short order as I have been w/o any stone for a few weeks. I''m ready to put it all behind me and make it mine.. (well, kinda done that already).. but just working out my thoughts here.

I really surprised myself. I usually am strong opinioned on things..

Ok.. walking down hall to see if hubby likes it better now.. (scary... we work together...
4.gif
)

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2005 11:42:47 AM
Author: Matatora
Maybe it is an emtional thing,

You make a good point bere.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Sevens,

Looking at those... hopefully Jonathan will e-mail me back and I''ll go visit at lunchtime..

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe I missed the thread but what are the specs on the new stone?
Your last one was if I recall a GOG special (small rare subset of the diamonds he carries, not avaiable to him in quantity anymore) and they are hard to match much less beat.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t settle.....even if you have to go down in size, it''s worth it for your stone to have the "right" personality......!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...

I''m liking the stone better. Hubby is too. just met him in the server room and my new stone was being nice and sparkely and white. He agreed, and is also liking better now.

I can''t say enough of how pretty this stone is.. but the comparison is what got me. I need to stop comparing and instead see if I enjoy looking at this one..

How do you compare two beautiful ladies?

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Oh,Laney...I am so sorry you are in such a dillemma.

You are not alone. I DO love my new stone, and even though all is better on my new stone (cut, color,size, but not clarity
2.gif
), I still miss my old one terribly. I am not sure if the old stone was a true "engagemtn stone" or an upgrade for you, but I totally, totally, understand. Mine was the stone my hubby proposed with, and I would give my new one up in a heartbeat to have the old one back. It DEFINATELY is an emotional thing.

I do get sad thinking abt it, but I tell my self that unfortunately, there is no choice, and I need to just get emotional abt a new stone.

If it really is the color that bugs you, then for sure you should either put some of your own money in to get a whiter,and larger stone, or maybe just go up a little in size (1.75 looks almost as big as a 2.0!). Just choose something that you can get excited about...that is the most important part.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
You dont.

If this stone makes you happy when you look down and see it that is what matters.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it speaks to you and has that certain something then that''s your stone. It must call out to you, if it doesn''t I would keep looking.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing that catches my "eye". You say that the numbers all match up - but it is not as sparkly.

The commonly reported numbers - unless you get a full Sarin or Mega report - is only the averages.

Have you looked at the stone under an IdealScope? (or equivalent). I''ll bet that answers why it is not so sparkly... Individual facets are leaking light - I''ll bet.

Of course, there are differences in the looks of well cut stones. A Eight* looks different than a HOF; and both are extreemly well cut stones. However, both are sparkly.

I cannot think of buying diamonds without owning an Idealscope, or getting full Sarin / Mega reports and modeling the results. Otherwise, You just don''t know what you are getting.

Perry

laney

Brilliant_Rock
perry -

Yes, yes, and yes. I have a full report, idealscope, brilliancescope, I2see report, etc, etc. So when I say that about the numbers, I did get this stone with eyes wide open. Although some reports were exactly the same (I2see scores bout 9.4..) Brilliancescope scores were a little different. My old one rated H+ VH+ VH+ and nhew H+ VH+ H That and the HCA score were close but not exact.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelgirl,

It think you hit the nail on the head. It was the stone that he proposed with. The one HE was excited about. So it''s probably more emotional than anything else. Looking down and not seeing that stone.

Ahhh. Women. Why are we like this? lol!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2005 1:10:53 PM
Author: laney
perry -

Yes, yes, and yes. I have a full report, idealscope, brilliancescope, I2see report, etc, etc. So when I say that about the numbers, I did get this stone with eyes wide open. Although some reports were exactly the same (I2see scores bout 9.4..) Brilliancescope scores were a little different. My old one rated H+ VH+ VH+ and nhew H+ VH+ H That and the HCA score were close but not exact.

Running into personality difference between the 2 diamonds more than anything.
Both sound like very high quality diamonds.
By the sounds of it your close to GOG Id drop in and have him show you different diamonds from the varies cutters he has available and see which one speaks to you more and if another speaks to you more than what you have now.
Make an appointment so he has some time to spend with you.

It could be that once you see the options you fall in love with the one you have now but it doesnt sound like you will have closure until you study your options.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I can't sympathize with the emotional attachment thing because I'm not like that, so I will address your other points!!
9.gif

First off, do not compare this stone to your last one. That one is gone. It's no longer available, it's dead and buried. Just like comparing the new boyfriend to the last one is a big NO NO while dating, do not compare the new stone to the last one, ESPECIALLY if the last one is no longer an option. It's not like you can go back to the old stone.

Secondly, I know what you mean about this stone just not having it for you as much as the old stone. This is such a bizarre thing but my old 1.29 H SI ES stone, so precise and crisp and amazing, did not look as good to me as my 1.60 J SI ES stone does. It's not just that the 1.60 is bigger, for whatever reason, it just looks more crisp and tight and sharp and CLEAR than my old stone. I adore this J SI and wish I could hang onto it, whereas I never wished that with the 1.29 H SI stone. The numbers themselves on the two stones are very similar almost the same to a tee. I have no idea why one would POP and the other would not for me. Go figure. So I know what you are saying.

Those two things said, I say give this stone a few more days of your time. Look at it in ALL lighting situations, keep an open mind. The pictures you posted Laney were absolutely stunning and I will say that I see tons of stone pictures on here and sometimes they are beautiful but yours were just friggin stunning and I showed the pictures to Greg saying..wow look at that amazing stone. It looked VERY crisp in the shots. It could be that your mind is playing tricks on you with this comparing the two stones deal.

Re: the color...did you know you were a color sensitive person? I swear to GOD I could never see one whit of color in my H stone and always felt like maybe it was TOO white for me. But that's just me, I personally don't love icy white stones, I like stones that blend in a bit more with my color and I am a medium skinned gal so I think the J just works better for my skin tone also...

So I say give it a few more days and try to keep an open mind. HOWEVER if that does not endear the stone to you where you will feel beyond jazzed to have it all the time...then I say option C is the best way to go. However, myself personally having seen how with almost the same specs, two stones can end up looking vastly different to the eye, I now know that my next stone will be a hit or miss re: that sharp crisp look....even if the specs are singing. But for you the color may be a deal breaker. Color can tend to bother people...

Good luck gal. In the meantime, CAN WE HAVE MORE PICTURES?? I want that stone!
30.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Getting ready to punch out your email now Laney. Let me just set your mind at ease ...

YOU ARE NOT STUCK WITH ANYTHING you get from us. If you decide you want to change your stone, whether it''s a day from now or 10 years from now you are never stuck. We will (at least for the next 30 days) exchange or refund, after then you have the rest of your life if you ever want to trade it back for full purchase price towards another of any of our rare beauts. It is your happiness that is our #1 priority Laney and we will always do anything within our means to see to it.

It was great seeing you and E last night too. Folks... if you''ve never seen a picture of Laney and her SO, they are a gorgeous couple with personalities to match.
3.gif

Ex/Ex,
Rhino

PS: Strm... both of the stones Laney was looking at are GOG classics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results