shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Need opinions on this 3.8 OEC (pics included)

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Hello Friends!

I received this OEC from to view at home so I can see it's performance in different lighting. It's so beautiful in person and the pictures definitely don't do it justice. Since I am new to antique stones, I thought I would ask the experts to weigh in. It's 3.87 VS1 M color.

We have been searching for a diamond for a while now and I'd love to hear any and all opinions on this stone before we make such a big purchase. Although it's an M, I put in next to my G color diamond and saw little difference even from the side.

Thank you in advance for your help and feel free to ask any questions in case I missed something.

Attachments

• IMG_2322 2.JPG
    IMG_2322 2.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2323 2.JPG
    IMG_2323 2.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2331 2.JPG
    IMG_2331 2.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 16

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this from OWD and he’s got a video of it on his Instagram not that long ago?
I think it’s pretty, but wonder if as many as the center facets go dark at once, in real life viewing
As opposed to the zoomed in video.
And if that bothers you enough to be bothered about it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do! I am not sure how to attach them here as the first time I tried they got rejected. I am not sure what I am doing wrong :confused:

You have to upload to YouTube (theoretically on an anonymous account) and then paste the link here. You cant attach directly to PS

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Is this from OWD and he’s got a video of it on his Instagram not that long ago?
I think it’s pretty, but wonder if as many as the center facets go dark at once, in real life viewing
As opposed to the zoomed in video.
And if that bothers you enough to be bothered about it.

Yes its from OWD on instagram....thank you SO much for mentioning that. That would have been so much easier had I linked that first.

It's interesting, but in person I don't really notice the center going as dark as it does on the videos. Although, I have not seen many OEC's in person to compare.
We really want to find the really high performer and I'm worried there is something better out there but without something to compare it to, I have no way of knowing if this is 'the one'.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It's so sad that I recognize rings and stones too!

I think it's lovely. The center is very pin wheel like and to my eye, you have on and off flashes. It does not go all dark. But how do you feel about it? I think it looks really nice.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes its from OWD on instagram....thank you SO much for mentioning that. That would have been so much easier had I linked that first.

It's interesting, but in person I don't really notice the center going as dark as it does on the videos. Although, I have not seen many OEC's in person to compare.
We really want to find the really high performer and I'm worried there is something better out there but without something to compare it to, I have no way of knowing if this is 'the one'.

If you are looking for the really high performers-
Look for videos of branded premium/precision new cut OEC style stones? Maybe that might help you choose on what you are looking for.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its one of those with slightly shallow pavilions that do not photograph well. They can look super awesome in person but not from 4 inches which is what the photo is equivalent of being.
Photos and video will never do the justice.
On the other hand some do have an issue when they stay dark under the table from to far a distance say 8 inches in regular viewing but going by some of the pictures this is not likely one of the ones that will only work in earrings, pendants and tiera/crowns.

Last edited:

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
It's so sad that I recognize rings and stones too!

I think it's lovely. The center is very pin wheel like and to my eye, you have on and off flashes. It does not go all dark. But how do you feel about it? I think it looks really nice.

Yes! Pinwheel perfectly describes the center. Thank you for articulating that. I was hoping it had the very pretty flower pattern, but alas, it does not. Do all OEC's have the on/off flashes?

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Its one of those with slightly shallow pavilions that do not photograph well. They can look super awesome in person but not from 4 inches which is what the photo is equivalent of being.

Thank you, Karl_K ! How do I determine if this is a good value based on the specs and performance? I am finding the antique stones to be a whole different animal from ideal MRB's.
I wish you all could see it in person to "bless" it or tell me to keep searching.
I am so nervous to commit to the first stone we are seeing in person.

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Another video in case this helps

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes! Pinwheel perfectly describes the center. Thank you for articulating that. I was hoping it had the very pretty flower pattern, but alas, it does not. Do all OEC's have the on/off flashes?

A well cut stone will. Some are more pin wheel and some more floral. I prefer a pin wheel center. I think it is really nice. I don't like the new super ideal cut OEC stones though. Pretty much every stone I have is a pin wheel or maltese cross center. I have a strong preference, but you have to really love it!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you, Karl_K ! How do I determine if this is a good value based on the specs and performance? I am finding the antique stones to be a whole different animal from ideal MRB's.
It is much harder to compare prices on oec stones all you can really do is compare resonable comps and make some mental adjustments to the numbers based on the different factors.
I think based on the data presented and your viewing that the cut is acceptable.
Just checked the report the long cavity bugs me more than anything. How will you be mounting it?

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
It is much harder to compare prices on oec stones all you can really do is compare resonable comps and make some mental adjustments to the numbers based on the different factors.
I think based on the data presented and your viewing that the cut is acceptable.
Just checked the report the long cavity bugs me more than anything. How will you be mounting it?

Thank you....I was thinking something similar to what it's in or a very thin bezel in 18k yellow gold.

What is a long cavity? Is that an actual hole in the diamond in this case? I have never seen a cavity on a GIA report before this one.
What would I look for in a better cut? How do I read the report so I can spot these things right away? I value the cut performance before anything else in a diamond and I just want to make sure this one is on the high end of performance. I don't want to drive Adam crazy by sending stones i could eliminate by looking at the report.

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
A well cut stone will. Some are more pin wheel and some more floral. I prefer a pin wheel center. I think it is really nice. I don't like the new super ideal cut OEC stones though. Pretty much every stone I have is a pin wheel or maltese cross center. I have a strong preference, but you have to really love it!

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert, but I don't think there's a way to choose an OEC by looking at a paper... unless you are picking a modern cut OEC
Here is an example of a few modern cut OEC's by Canera ...they look very pretty, but somehow feel soulless to me

i completely agree with you! I guess i will have to see them in person to ultimately decide. It's hard because even with the videos they all seem to have their own personality.

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock

That's great to know. I am not a fan of the new stones, either. I just love the history of the true antiques. What is a maltese cross center? It sounds magical :kiss2:

I contacted Adam first as he seems to have a great reputation. I would be open to speaking to other vendors if there is anyone in particular I should reach out to. Thank you again for your input - I really appreciate it!

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
i completely agree with you! I guess i will have to see them in person to ultimately decide. It's hard because even with the videos they all seem to have their own personality.

I personally think that that stone is magical, but if you are not in love with it you should definitely keep looking...

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is really nice. Take advantage of Adam’s return policy and look at it in different lighting at different times during the day. After a few days you may have more of a feeling of “it’s the one” or not.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I just went through a similar search to yours and know what you are going through. Finding a decent 3.5+ mid-color OEC right now is not an easy task!

I'm an OEC newbie, too, but the stone looks very pretty to me...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone is very pretty. That setting is one of my very favorites! But I'd be concerned with that much girdle exposed with a partially very thin girdle and inclusions around the edges. You might have more chance of chipping.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the stone is very pretty. That setting is one of my very favorites! But I'd be concerned with that much girdle exposed with a partially very thin girdle and inclusions around the edges. You might have more chance of chipping.

yea needs a bezel.
A cavity is like a cave in the rock.

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for your input. The setting is beautiful! It is SO much more delicate in person. Even with a larger stone it only sits slightly under 7 mm off the finger in case anyone is wondering about the height.

We are a bit sad to be sending it back and resuming our search for another diamond without a cavity. If you have any OEC's you've come across that look promising I would be so grateful if you could send them along. We are kind of out of ideas of who to reach out to at this point.

I just went through a similar search to yours and know what you are going through. Finding a decent 3.5+ mid-color OEC right now is not an easy task!

I'm an OEC newbie, too, but the stone looks very pretty to me...

Lulu_ma how long did it take to find your beauty?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would reach out to Jewels by Grace. She has quite a few old European cuts, but you may have already looked at her website.

Another option is to contact Anup Jogani. He does collaborations with Grace at times.

I also would reach out to Platt Boutique Jewelry.

It looks like Lang Antiques has options in that range, but they generally are priced higher.

I would think that Adam would be able to get other options in for you. It may take some time though.

Sako, of Cicada Jewelry can also work with you to help source a stone. He makes beautiful settings as well.

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
I would reach out to Jewels by Grace. She has quite a few old European cuts, but you may have already looked at her website.

Another option is to contact Anup Jogani. He does collaborations with Grace at times.

I also would reach out to Platt Boutique Jewelry.

It looks like Lang Antiques has options in that range, but they generally are priced higher.

I would think that Adam would be able to get other options in for you. It may take some time though.

Sako, of Cicada Jewelry can also work with you to help source a stone. He makes beautiful settings as well.

Thank you so very much for the additional vendors...you're so sweet to take the time to help in our search! I will reach out to the vendors you have listed. I have been trying to learn about the cut parameters to guide me as to which stones I should consider. So hard to know which will be contenders as I only know about MRB ideals right now.
Hopefully the learning curve will be short =)2

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have been collecting data since October. I started looking seriously in February and, with the help of some lovely PS'ers, found a stone in early March.

What is your minimum mm diameter? And would you consider a transitional?

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I have been collecting data since October. I started looking seriously in February and, with the help of some lovely PS'ers, found a stone in early March.

What is your minimum mm diameter? And would you consider a transitional?

Out of curiosity, did you find an upward trend in price?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results