shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Narrowing Search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

padma

Rough_Rock
Greetings from a PriceScope Newbie. I need help narrowing down my selection...

I have seen the Signature collection from HelzbergDiamond B&M. Most impressive among the retail chain brand but the guru and feedback here advise on taking the e-ring route that can be a chore when hunting for insurance. That said my budget is around 5 to 6K USD and my search query has been "Round shape, H & A, 0.9–1.05 cts, F–H color, VS2–SI1 clarity, 58.7–62.3% depth, 53–58% table, $100–100000, GIA=Ex,Ex and/Or AGS=0 certified". I'm going for H&A cut grade with AGS=0 with sym/polish of Ex/Ex but I cannot narrow down on the color and clarity combination as the retail stores in my area do not have enough selection for a side by side comparison.

Question 1: Can someone chime in on the SI1 to see if an untrained eyes can pick out the imperfection that comes with this clarity rating?

Question 2: For that matter, will an untrained eyes see the difference in the following Color and Clarity combination?

a. H & SI1
b. G & SI1
c. F & SI1

If choose most people cannot pick out an F-colored stone from H and G then I'll stick with the H-SI1 combination, else I'll have to go below the 1 carat rating with a F-VS2 combination that I will need to tweak my search criteria.

Question 3: I've yet to understand the depth/table ratio so I need help

The stones in my budget are:

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-78269.htm#

ACA H&A >>> 1.011 H SI1 61.2% 57% AGS tn-md f id id n 6.45x6.47x3.95 -2% $5743 @WF
Crown=34.9° Pavilion=40.8° Sarin Ideal-Scope
Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 1.011
. Depth %: 61.2
. Table %: 57
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.2
. Star : 56
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 76
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.45-6.47X3.95

2. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-78271.htm#
ACA H&A >>> 1.015 G SI1 60.6% 57% AGS tn f id id n 6.50x6.52x3.95 0% $5944 @WF
Crown=34.9° Pavilion=40.6° Sarin Ideal-Scope Picture
Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above H&A
. Carat: 1.015
. Depth %: 60.6
. Table %: 56.6
. Crown Angle: 34.9
. Crown %: 15.3
. Star : 52
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 42.8
. Lower Girdle %: 77
. Girdle: Thin Faceted
. Measurements: 6.50-6.52X3.95

Thanks in advance.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems most people can tell the difference between F and H. It is a different matter whether the difference is personally tolerable.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope.

Re your comments:

Date: 11/20/2006 6:51:53 PM
Author:padma
but the guru and feedback here advise on taking the e-ring route that can be a chore when hunting for insurance.
Not sure if I appreciate that comment...does Helzberg solve a conventional insurance problem? Anyway, independent of any store offered "insurance," you''d probably want to get your own policy of some sort.

Regarding your price constraints otherwise...presuming you might want to constrain to WF and with your budget...not a crazy idea...you''ve optimized, I think, on the 2 you chose. BTW, your formula is very much like the one I would input, except I''d leave the table & depth fields alone, and lean on the search by cut db more...see the suggestions below my signature.

I have a modest preference for your G. You can always order it, and walk into Helzberg, and compare.

Best of wishes,

padma

Rough_Rock
Ira Z and JulieN,

Thanks for the swift response and the super helpful suggestions. Regarding insurance...I''m still paddling thru. the PS threads (Read some bad StateFarm experiences). I''ve got till this week to work on completing my research, and I guess I can swing for 7K. Do keep those advise coming.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently went to Helzburg in order to decide on the size diamonds I want for earrings, and the prices were unreal. Far higher than these vendors.

As to the color issue, unless you hold an H next to an F, you probably won''t notice the color. My original diamond is an F, but we went with H for the new diamond because it kept the price to a reasonable level. Also, if you go with H, it''s not a lot more to go to VS2 in clarity, which I would do.

padma

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 8:49:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I recently went to Helzburg in order to decide on the size diamonds I want for earrings, and the prices were unreal. Far higher than these vendors.

As to the color issue, unless you hold an H next to an F, you probably won''t notice the color. My original diamond is an F, but we went with H for the new diamond because it kept the price to a reasonable level. Also, if you go with H, it''s not a lot more to go to VS2 in clarity, which I would do.
Thanks for the info.
I shall narrow down the search into mnimum of vs2 to minimise inclusion. Anyone can comment on VS2 and SI1 consistancy?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Padma
35.gif

By VS2 and SI1 consistency, do you mean they are a safe choice for ''eyecleanliness?'' If so, yes usually, if they are graded by GIA or AGS, remember that SI grades need to be taken on a case by case basis and to ask the vendor about any possibly visible inclusions, but you should be fine. Clarity grading is done face up, in some instances you might possibly notice something from the sides in an SI grade, albeit tiny, however if your comfort level is to see nothing, you might be better to stick to VS or better. But SI grades are out there which are clean.

padma

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,

Thanks for the confirmation on the SI1... It is still my intention to stay with the ACA AGS0 1.0x carat with H-SI1 combination.
I also like the fact that WF honor their trade up policy so I don''t mind taking the 0.9x carat route to go with better F-VS2 combination...Can someone chime in on this?

Thanks again for all the helpful hand-holding advises ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results