shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Modifying my engagement ring...

Discussion in 'Show Me the Bling! (Rings,Earrings,Jewelry)' started by Weddingbeebeebee, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Weddingbeebeebee
    Rough_Rock

by Weddingbeebeebee » Sep 12, 2019
    I am completely in love with my fiancé and so extremely excited to marry him! However, I’m having a really hard time falling in love with my engagement ring.
    I feel so incredibly guilty! I’m not a fan of big flashy jewellery, and I prefer smaller and simple designs. My beautiful fiancé went above and beyond, and appears to have spent lot of money on a big engagement ring for me that I just can’t seem to get used to. I want so badly to be happy with it and proudly show it off, but it’s not my style and doesn’t feel like me. It breaks my heart!
    I very delicately suggested to him that the ring felt ‘a bit much’ for me, and being the beautiful soul that he is, he told me that we could modify it any way we wanted and that it’s not important what the ring looks like, it’s only that we are engaged.
    I’m wondering what are easy modifications to make to this ring? I’d really appreciate your help with suggestions to modifications, and what modifications cost.

This is the ring he had made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’m not crazy about the pear shaped diamonds at the top, but I thought if they couldn’t be replaced then maybe I could add them to the wedding band and create a set... Like this:

[​IMG]
    Can anyone tell me if that would be an easy/cheap fix?

Or do you think a jeweler would substitute the pear diamonds for a different design? Like these smaller ones:
    [​IMG]

I really appreciate any suggestions and advice! THANK YOU!

KristyDarling and Petalouda like this.

2. tkyasx78
    Brilliant_Rock

by tkyasx78 » Sep 12, 2019
    Why not have the center stone put in a solitaire setting for the time being and then if you want for a 5 year anniversary you can do a new setting that is more to your liking.

I would not try to pay anyone to alter that setting.

A simple solitaire setting for the center stone would be non critical of his choice for a setting and later you can have one made you like when his feelings won’t be hurt.

nala, Jsand, lovedogs and 2 others like this.
  3. Lykame
    Brilliant_Rock

by Lykame » Sep 12, 2019
    Congratulations on your engagement and also well done for handling this subject so sensitively. That your fiancé took it well is also kudos to him, although he clearly put effort into this so it's important to carefully tread around his feelings. Sounds like you have managed very well.

I agree modifying the setting would likely be quite difficult. I think you have a number of options. You could just have a setting with the three pears removed and have like a subtle three stone ring. That would keep the side profile view the same from at least one side. You would then need to think about what you did with the three pears. I also like the idea of a simple solitaire and then that curved band you posted first. It's essentially exactly your ring but split into two. However I would only suggest doing that if you actually like that style, and that you're not enjoying showing off your ring currently would suggest that you might struggle even if you split the two concepts into two different rings. You could also perhaps have a necklace made with the other stones? That way you have the stones he got you close to your heart and a more simple solitaire setting that you would enjoy showing off.

Wish you all the luck in figuring this out!

4. Alex T
    Ideal_Rock

by Alex T » Sep 12, 2019
    I agree with the above. A simple solitaire & keep the other stones for an anniversary project.

westjenn and Diamond Girl 21 like this.

5. lydial
    Shiny_Rock

by lydial » Sep 12, 2019
    A lot of people wear “right hand rings” but only some of the time; If I we’re you I would find a nice basic plain Stuller setting you like with even a matching wedder, (it’s a jewelry setting maker with a huge catalog and a good reputation, google them, you will find them and search on their site for local jewelers who sell their products) have your center stone moved into one of those by a local jeweler, keep the original e-ring intact and eventually find a colored stone and have it put in it. A sapphire, even a heat treated one, would look really cool in that setting. It may take time and patience and research. There is a colored stone forum here that could help you. I would be a little sentimental about the current setting since the boyfriend picked it. I would want to have the chance to wear it occasionally. You will likely save $ doing this over a modified setting.

Lykame, KristyDarling, JPie and 2 others like this.
  6. Weddingbeebeebee
    Rough_Rock

That's a nice idea! A solitaire setting is nice and simple (just what I'm into) and I like the idea of using the other stones as an anniversary project. You don't happen to know the costs involved with creating a solitaire setting for the centre stone, do you?

Thanks again for your suggestion :D

lydial and Daisys and Diamonds like this.
  7. Weddingbeebeebee
    Rough_Rock

Thank you so much! It's a very exciting time for us! He really is the best for being so understanding!

I'll need have have a think about whether or not I like the 'crown' look of the three pears. I do think that I would like it more if it was apart of a set, but then again, if I'm not happy showing off the ring as it is now... maybe I would have the same issues showing it off as a set.

Thank you again for your suggestion! :)

Lykame likes this.
  8. Weddingbeebeebee
    Rough_Rock

Thank you for input :) Do you happen to have any idea what it might cost to create a simple solitaire using the centre stone?

Thanks again!

9. Weddingbeebeebee
    Rough_Rock

That's a great suggestion! I like the idea of leaving the e-ring intact, especially because there's obviously a lot of sentimental value already attached to it.

If I were to take out the centre stone and place it in a solitaire setting, do you know how much that might cost?

lydial likes this.
  10. msop04
    Ideal_Rock

by msop04 » Sep 12, 2019
    Another vote for solitaire... if you're into 6 prong sets, my absolute favorite on a budget is by Adwar.
    Here is a pic of it for a larger stone. I'll try to post the link in a few... (the prongs won't look like that once set... they look kinda crazy in the pics. ;-)

Adwar 26306L Tiff Repro CAD.jpg Adwar 26306L Tiff Repro view 1.jpg Adwar 26306L Tiff Repro view 3.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds and lovedogs like this.

11. msop04
    Ideal_Rock

lovedogs and KristyDarling like this.
  12. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » Sep 12, 2019
    Most jewelers have access to Stuller settings and i think they start around $200-300 for a simple gold solitaire. Stone setting costs vary but I'd guess in the range of $50-100.

If your fiance had the ring custom made I'd inquire with that jeweler how much it would cost to remove the pears, they may be able to do it for a minimal fee or for free. Agree with saving the diamonds for something else in the future, like a pendant or anniversary band.

Congratulations!

Daisys and Diamonds likes this.
  13. arkieb1
    Ideal_Rock

by arkieb1 » Sep 12, 2019
    Set the main stone in a simple solitaire and keep the rest including the setting to one day put a coloured stone into it and wear it as a right hand ring. Best of both worlds, you have the original stone in a simple elegant setting and you get to keep the original ring he gave you too.

14. Bonfire
    Ideal_Rock

by Bonfire » Sep 12, 2019
    Congratulations on your engagement, a very exciting time! Your fiancé sounds like a great guy and wants you to be happy. You’ve received some great suggestions here. I’m confident you’ll land on a setting to make your heart sing and want to show off to the world! Please continue to share your journey with us!

15. KKJohnson
    Brilliant_Rock

by KKJohnson » Sep 12, 2019
    a 3 stone is very classic and with the size of the pears I don't think anyone would believe it is flashy. You could even make a nice pear of earrings with any remaining stones. The reason I suggest this over the wedding band idea is because its not any different than you already have and you dislike it, would you really wear the band?

setting_template_main.jpg

imageService.jpg

16. SimoneDi
    Ideal_Rock

by SimoneDi » Sep 12, 2019
    OP, congrats on your engagement! Don’t feel guilty about wanting to change your ring. You can definitely repurpose the stones in a curved band or a different type of a jewel.

To me, based on the 2nd pic, it looks like the crown of round and pear stones were soldered onto a 4 prong solitaire setting. If that’s the case, it might be fairly simple to remove the entire piece. Can you please post more pics? I would personally reach out to DK, send them pics and see what they’d quote you to repair the ring to your liking.

17. motownmama
    Ideal_Rock

by motownmama » Sep 13, 2019
    I hope it can be modified and the pears used for your wedding band.

18. Weddingbeebeebee
    Rough_Rock

by Weddingbeebeebee » Sep 13, 2019
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! This is all so helpful!

I like the idea of having the centre stone remounted into a simple solitaire setting, and then moving the 3x pear diamonds and 2x smaller diamonds (on the side of the centre stone) moved onto a wedding band. To create a set. I'm hoping that will be an easy/cheap solution?

I also was wondering if it was common for jewellers to exchange diamonds, for example, if I wanted to switch out my 3x pear diamonds for more small round diamonds (as seen in photo below). Do you think that would be a possibility? I'm not sure how it works regarding their values etc.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.16.38 pm.png

Thank you so much for your help! I really do appreciate it!