shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me w/a diamond "Dome Ring" for my brother

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Hey fellow PS'ers... Glad to be coming by once more for all the expert advice.

My brother is into the blingiest of bling, which means the pave style. He's saved some pennies, and wants to a diamond "dome style" cocktail ring - something like this:

diamond dome.png

We went to a big chain store today, just to look at what some things might look like... and I chuckled mightily at the prices.

Pre loved is fine if something cool came up... but I'm not familiar with this type of jewelry as it's about the opposite of my own style. But that's why I'm here!

Would like to keep the budget somewhere around $2200-$2500 and see what the best we can do within that budget would be. He's not real color sensitive, so something H-I would do..

Wondered if anyone knew about any jewelers who do this type of work. I put a feeler out to IDJ but beyond that I'm really not sure who else to go with. He's not an ultra picky PS type, but just wants to get good quality for the budget we've got. If the budget doesn't align with options, saving up for longer is also an option.

Any thoughts or places anyone can point me to?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, they are also referred to as “cigar band” rings. eBay has quite a few options, some within budget, some are well over budget :(2
One thing, be careful of sizing. The wider the band, usually the bigger size you need to go up to.
If buying pre loved, I’d suggest trying on the style he likes in a retail environment to get his correct size. These types of rings with mass multiple pave set diamonds are often difficult /expensive/ not possible to resize.
As for having something made - even more pricey, apart from the gold and diamonds such a ring would be quite labor intensive to set so $$$$.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the naming correction, Bron. - I'll check out ebay. I have definitely seen a big range of pricing on these rings, so that's why I was curious - I saw IDJ had some in the $3300 range, so that's not out of a future question. Some were even listed as E-F color diamonds, so I did not know if color impacts pricing on something like this significantly like it can in other stones.

It has just been curious seeing such a wide range for similar things.

Ie this - https://idjewelry.com/4-01ct-f-si-18kt-white-gold-fashion-diamond-band-018093.html - @ 4 ctw for $3300 ish

vs https://idjewelry.com/pave-diamond-ring-wide-band-in-18kt-whit-gold.html @ 2.2 ctw with 91 stones for $200 more than the above, and I just don't see a huge difference truth be told. I must be blind or missing something obvious.o_O

Thanks for all the info though once more, Bron! :D

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd check with David Klass to get a quote. One detail to get clear from your brother is the width (along with the finger) of the ring at the top and bottom. Also, do he want it the same width at the top and bottom? The other way to get a quote would be to say to DK that your brother is size X (wideband needs a bigger size than narrow) and he'd like a pave dome band. How wide can he go on the $2500 budget? That might require that the pave is pulled up the sides to get to the kind of width in your inspo which is probably 10+ mm.

Also, if your brothers' fingers are wide at the base, pave between the fingers can be uncomfortable. Both for sizing and for the cost, something like this is what I was thinking about. I like the inner too.

Micro-Pave-Dome-Ring-la-quinta-california-ca-jewelers-jewelry-diamond-Engagement-wedding-marriage_ANGLES.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-25_9-54-25.png
    upload_2019-2-25_9-54-25.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 12

amoline

Shiny_Rock
That's great, Rocky. He definitely doesn't want the pave going all the way down the band, either - your example is perfect.

I'll fire an email to DK as well. I know he's busy, but I've never actually gotten any reply to the time I emailed him about something about a month ago, but I'll try again, or perhaps see if I can call or something else

Thanks so much for the help, everybody! That's great.

Oh- Coda- i like those too, but don't think the super ideal realm is a great fit for my brother - he probably is more the bang for buck sort of thing.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great, Rocky. He definitely doesn't want the pave going all the way down the band, either - your example is perfect.

I'll fire an email to DK as well. I know he's busy, but I've never actually gotten any reply to the time I emailed him about something about a month ago, but I'll try again, or perhaps see if I can call or something else

Thanks so much for the help, everybody! That's great.
Glad to help. Mention you are a PS member and folks recommended him. May not help, but won't hurt. :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results