shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me train DH's dog

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I'm on my last thread with DH's dog. My baby that I've had since 6 weeks old is very well behaved and knows his boundaries. When we adopted a dog for DH just over a year ago I planned on teaching this dog the same rules. Taz is a 12lb min pin rescue with behavioral issues. He bounces constantly - not just little hops, this guy can gain air! About 1.5 feet up per standing jump and lands with a huge THUD. This is Taz's method of going from point A to point B. Not only is it hugely annoying but Taz hurts himself from landing wrong. He also eats fuzzys, rocks, and paper, climbs on the on the end tables, jumps on people whenever he wants and doesn't understand personal space. DH does nothing to control him. I've tried positive reinforcement and managed to only get him to behave when I'm looking directly at him. We took him and DH to obedience training so now he knows how to drop, roll and bounce. I really would like to put a training shock collar on him but DH won't have that. The issue as I see it now is that Taz behaves when he can see me watching him, but the second I turn, he's a terror again. It's like a game to him and I can't figure out how to outsmart him :cheeky: :oops:

ETA: Taz also lacks proper dog socialization skills. At the dog park all he does is runs the fence and ignores the other dogs. When he's trying to get my dog to play he runs up and grabs Milo (my dog) around his neck with his paws. This in turn ticks Milo off to which he'll snap back. Taz doesn't understand the snapping, thinks it's playing, and does it again...

How would you suggest finding a good professional? Since Ceaser came out a lot of unqualified people have jumped on the dog training bandwagon

holly sparkle

Shiny_Rock
Oh hon I think it's time to call in the professionals. This is too big a task for you alone.

I genuinely feel bad for you cause i know i wouldn't be able to handle that kind of behaviour but is it ok that I kinda laughed when you said he bounces??? He sounds crazy.....

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
CLICKER TRAINING! There is a Clicker Training Center in my area and six weeks with them changed everything. My dog was loving, affectionate, happy, and playful at home, but high strung and nervous with strangers- to the point of snapping at a delivery guy (we were having my sister's wedding at home, the stress level in the family that summer did nothing to help her calm down). I simply could not have her snapping and didn't know how to help her; boyfriend set me up with his breeder/trainer to do the clicker class and it was the best thing I ever did for my dog.

Clicker training is a double reward system, super gentle, and teaches a) the owner what and how to ask for behaviors you want and b) the dog to offer behavior that will earn a reward. You will see results immediately.

Nala, my girl, now sits at my feet when people knock at the door and waits for me to ask her to come meet them, which she does with a wagging tail. We learned how to meet other dogs, loose lead walking (we live on a 12 acres, so never really needed a leash), agility tricks...all sorts of things. Another big plus- it's mentally exhausting, Nala would zonk out after class and be calm the rest of the day.

DH would probably enjoy participating, too, cause it's set up to be a lot more like playing than disciplining.

Like everything, I think the quality of this training depends on your teacher- check your area for classes and get recommendations!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Please don't use a shock collar :(

I am a professional animal trainer at a zoo and I can tell you that positive reinforcement is the only way to go. That said, it is HARD work, which is why agree with you and the others that if this has become too hard to do on your own, you need to call in professionals for sure. Even though I'm an animal trainer at work, I actually have chosen not to have a dog just because I know I don't have enough time in the day to train it properly. It is a lot of work!

Stick with trainers that use positive reinforcement, not Caesar's "pack mentality" crap. His people have since forced YouTube to take the video down, but a few months ago some "hidden footage" of Caesar's show was posted online showing him repeatedly kicking and taunting the dogs that he is "training". Sooooo wrong. Hate that man and what he has done for my field.

As far as how to get a good trainer- ask your vet and your local shelters. Local shelters want to make sure that their animals get proper training so that they don't get returned to the shelter, so they usually have lots of good suggestions.

Good luck!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,

I train dogs in Search & Rescue and also Schutzhund, whilst very different from your needs; similar rules apply.
Please don't use a shock collar, it's not going to help, it'll cause your dog more anxiety.
Your DH not doing anything is a big problem. Can I ask why he doesn't do anything? Does he think the dog's behavior isn't a problem or..?
I ask, because it won't matter how much you or the best trainer trains your dog, if someone else in the house lets the dog away with bad behavior then you'll always have a problem, you all have to be consistent or it'll never change.
Both my dogs are very well trained but both very dominant breeds, so if someone came into my house and spent time with them without me, let them do whatever they wanted, they'd take full advantage of that person in no time.
I know it's hard to find a good trainer, but I'd really try to get some good referrals for one, I 2nd asking your vet.
Also, wherever you adopted him, they "should" have qualified trainers, I'd discuss with them your needs.
I'd really focus on getting DH on board with this as much as you are commited, and you clearly are which is great, but you need help, from DH first, then get a trainer.

I hope it all works out for you!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds to me like Taz could also benefit from some activity outside of the house with all that jumping and excess energy. (Good long walks, playing fetch, a dog sport, etc.) Dogs tend to behave better when they're a little worn out and focus better.
I agree with other posters...please don't use the shock collar! Most dog people I know are against them; a few dog people I know use them and I disagree with their training techniques.
You and DH could start with a basic obedience class (such as the kind offered at your local pet supply store)...it will at least give you an idea of Taz's strengths and weaknesses. You should remind DH that being a dog ownership is a big commitment and you will all (including Taz) be happier with obedience in the mix.

Hope you find an option that works best for all of you.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
maplefemme|1307239857|2938113 said:
Hi there,

I train dogs in Search & Rescue and also Schutzhund, whilst very different from your needs; similar rules apply.
Please don't use a shock collar, it's not going to help, it'll cause your dog more anxiety.
Your DH not doing anything is a big problem. Can I ask why he doesn't do anything? Does he think the dog's behavior isn't a problem or..?
I ask, because it won't matter how much you or the best trainer trains your dog, if someone else in the house lets the dog away with bad behavior then you'll always have a problem, you all have to be consistent or it'll never change.
Both my dogs are very well trained but both very dominant breeds, so if someone came into my house and spent time with them without me, let them do whatever they wanted, they'd take full advantage of that person in no time.
I know it's hard to find a good trainer, but I'd really try to get some good referrals for one, I 2nd asking your vet.
Also, wherever you adopted him, they "should" have qualified trainers, I'd discuss with them your needs.
I'd really focus on getting DH on board with this as much as you are commited, and you clearly are which is great, but you need help, from DH first, then get a trainer.

Agreed. The difficult part really is DH. Taz still misbehaves around me but it isn't nearly as bad as around DH. For example, DH will get glued to the TV (as many guys do) and Taz can get right up in his lap and take food out of his had without him noticing. DH really is just oblivious to these things. Since the dogs are so tiny I usually open up the back door for them to run around in the yard. They don't fetch anything and don't play tug of war with me (when I grab the tug toy they let go first and give me the toy - good obedience but no play). We do try to socialize them at the dog park but Taz has zero interest in the other dogs :(

Maybe, if I use more positive reinforcement with DH it will be passed along to taz :idea: I'll try stating my appreciation for not letting Taz bounce instead of telling him to to allow Taz to bounce.

I did find one trainer who offers a lifetime membership to all of her classes for a one time fee of $500. Seemed very reasonable to me and would be a good way to keep up with the doggy and DH training :cheeky:

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Well two things right off the bat, DH needs to whip his butt into shape, and you need to both take a training class together. FI and I train our puppy together and it's actually become an activity that we really enjoy as a couple, and it's cheaper than going on a date! As far as a couple of your issues go, for the doggie socialization I would suggest perhaps a doggie daycare day? He seems to need to learn proper doggie etiquette and boundaries and daycare is great for that. They are constantly supervised and best yet, they are pooped when they get home. We only have one dog so she learned everything about how to interact with other dogs from daycare and it's been an enormous success. The jumping thing is hard, and again your DH is going to have to be involved. What we did for Hera is you put Taz on a lead, since he's short you may have to kneel on the floor next to him for this, then you have your DH make passes back and forth in front of you in a semi-circle getting closer and closer to you while holding a treat in his hand that Taz can see. It's best if you keep Taz in a sit or a down for this exercise. If he makes a move to jump, give a quick flick of your wrist to bring him back to a sit and then have your DH start back at the beginning distance. Don't flick hard enough to fling him to the ground but just enough to send him the message that it's time to sit. Slowly work up to the point where he won't move no matter who comes up to him or what yummy treat they have in their hand. Then I would tether him to you while you're at home so that you can control when he is allowed to be bouncy. Consistency is key and you're never going to get anywhere if your DH is coming along behind you and undoing everything.

As far as finding a good trainer, I would actually suggest Petsmart. I would look at the reviews for the Petsmarts in your area and look for a trainer that clicks with you. The good thing about them is that you get a great opportunity to practice being with other dogs and training in an environment with lots of distractions. HTH

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Two things to consider:

--Why do you refer to this dog as your DH's dog? Do you live separately or something? If both parties don't want the dog, perhaps rehoming should be considered. Just a thought. DH (and anyone else living there) needs to be 100% on board with training or it will not work.

--If the dog has huge amounts of energy, no amount of training is going to curb this, IMO. The dog needs some outlet for the energy. If you don't have time, consider doggie day care. I LOVE it! The place I go is something like $300 a month for unlimited days. They're open 7am-8pm. They feed your dog while they're there, they'll give him any medicines he needs, if he's acting tired they'll put him in his own quiet run... but the rest of the time he races around indoors or outdoors in a fully supervised dog park of sorts. They can also swim in the summer months. You can also do day-by-day pricing, and it's like $25. Might be work testing it out for a day or two a week and see if it helps at all.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Redfaerythinker - that is a very good idea and we will definitely give that a try! Also taking that one step further to walking indoors but on the leash. That way he learns that bouncing is not an appropriate, or safe, way to get from point A to point B. Because he is so short I'm hoping to be able to find a bit of a stiff leash that won't have as much give for the bouncing attempts :cheeky:

As far as referring to him ad DH's dog, Milo is without a doubt a one person dog - mine. I socialized Milo as a puppy, took puppy classes with him, and take him to the dog park but he's still a very loyal Velcro dog to me. DH felt it wasn't fair and wanted a dog too. I agreed and that's how Taz came into the picture. Taz bonded with DH like we had hoped. What I didn't expect is that DH wouldn't give a damn about his behavior because he is a "small dog and not hurting anybody" I tried for several months to convince DH to let me find Taz a new home but he doesn't want that to happen. Finally I put my foot down and said that if he doesn't help train Taz, then Taz is going to be finding a new home. DH has done better about it but is not consistent enough to get the point through to Taz.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
redfaerythinker|1307246708|2938185 said:
Well two things right off the bat, DH needs to whip his butt into shape, and you need to both take a training class together. FI and I train our puppy together and it's actually become an activity that we really enjoy as a couple, and it's cheaper than going on a date! As far as a couple of your issues go, for the doggie socialization I would suggest perhaps a doggie daycare day? He seems to need to learn proper doggie etiquette and boundaries and daycare is great for that. They are constantly supervised and best yet, they are pooped when they get home. We only have one dog so she learned everything about how to interact with other dogs from daycare and it's been an enormous success. The jumping thing is hard, and again your DH is going to have to be involved. What we did for Hera is you put Taz on a lead, since he's short you may have to kneel on the floor next to him for this, then you have your DH make passes back and forth in front of you in a semi-circle getting closer and closer to you while holding a treat in his hand that Taz can see. It's best if you keep Taz in a sit or a down for this exercise. If he makes a move to jump, give a quick flick of your wrist to bring him back to a sit and then have your DH start back at the beginning distance. Don't flick hard enough to fling him to the ground but just enough to send him the message that it's time to sit. Slowly work up to the point where he won't move no matter who comes up to him or what yummy treat they have in their hand. Then I would tether him to you while you're at home so that you can control when he is allowed to be bouncy. Consistency is key and you're never going to get anywhere if your DH is coming along behind you and undoing everything.

As far as finding a good trainer, I would actually suggest Petsmart. I would look at the reviews for the Petsmarts in your area and look for a trainer that clicks with you. The good thing about them is that you get a great opportunity to practice being with other dogs and training in an environment with lots of distractions. HTH

I don't recommend Petsmart. Their trainers merely go through their Petsmart "training" program and are not necessarily AKC trained. We took our dog to Petsmart and the trainer literally wrestled my dog to the ground via his neck because "she needed to teach him" that she was dominant. A total Caesar mentality. We were completely shocked when it happened, as we had never seen or heard of an "alpha roll" until after she did it to our dog. It wrecked our dog, made him hand shy, and we have spent years reconditioning him. He is much better and happier, and that "trainer" was fired. Apparently, she pulled her stunt on other dogs as well.

I would look into your local SPCA, and see if their website recommends any local private trainers who have AKC certified training. credentials. These people may also be specialized in handling certain types of behavioral issues (separation anxiety, aggression, etc). You can try a couple of private sessions, and if recommended, join a small group class. This is what we ultimately did with our dog. I think you understand that you and DH both have to attend the classes and train the dog. Consistency is also very important. If DH cannot ultimately provide that, then it may be best to rehome the dog and wait until DH is more on board before you get another dog.

As for Milo, although he's very attached to you, has DH become more involved with his care - walks, feedings? It's a way to integrate DH into Milo's life, which may allow Milo to become a little more receptive to him. Although, I understand, some dogs are just a one-person type of dog.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Yimmers- Sorry if I wasn't clear with my post. I definitely agree that all Petsmart trainers aren't great. But I have many friends that have found good dedicated trainers, that happen to work for Petsmart. Just like with all things in life, not all trainers are created equal, even within the same company. It is important to read reviews of each individual trainer, and then meet them in person to discuss your goals and to get a feel for their methods.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
SB, this is definitely "DH Training". Perhaps speaking to a professional trainer will help him understand that training REQUIRES a "united front"/consistency. I also recommend you give DH the following book to read: "Other end of the leash, by Patricia McConnell" and any clicker training materials written by Karen Pryor (spelling) would be a great help to get BOTH of you to do the clicker training for Taz.

You need your DH to understand, dogs NEED training. It gives them structure and safety. And I don't buy the "He's a small dog and isn't hurting anyone," reasoning. To me, it's the equivalent to saying, "You don't need to supervise a toddler because they're so small they can't hurt anyone." Of course you need to supervise small children, they don't know any better, and it's up to adults to provide rules and boundaries FOR them.

And just so you don't feel so alone, I'm struggling with the SAME THING with my DH. My dog can get aggressive on leash with other dogs. I've been clicker training and treating like mad to avoid getting her worked up when she sees another dog. But DH doesn't do it when he walks her. I think it's because he doesn't want to wear the treat pouch.

Good luck.
~LC

Edited because Quote functions weren't working for me.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1307244161|2938158 said:
maplefemme|1307239857|2938113 said:
Hi there,

Agreed. The difficult part really is DH. Taz still misbehaves around me but it isn't nearly as bad as around DH. For example, DH will get glued to the TV (as many guys do) and Taz can get right up in his lap and take food out of his had without him noticing. DH really is just oblivious to these things. Since the dogs are so tiny I usually open up the back door for them to run around in the yard. They don't fetch anything and don't play tug of war with me (when I grab the tug toy they let go first and give me the toy - good obedience but no play). We do try to socialize them at the dog park but Taz has zero interest in the other dogs :(

Maybe, if I use more positive reinforcement with DH it will be passed along to taz :idea: I'll try stating my appreciation for not letting Taz bounce instead of telling him to to allow Taz to bounce.

I did find one trainer who offers a lifetime membership to all of her classes for a one time fee of $500. Seemed very reasonable to me and would be a good way to keep up with the doggy and DH training :cheeky:

I think if you can pair this with some time at dog day care so he can learn some socialization and wear off some of that nervous energy, that'll be a good step forward as it sounds like Taz has anxiety issues.
Also, I'd try and sit down with DH and have a game plan you BOTH are committed to, that way there's some structure and a goal. Or else maybe your idea of the shock collar wasn't so bad - just not on Taz! :Up_to_something:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Lol! I'm thinking agility training would be awesome for Taz. Last night with just one hour of work I was able to teach him sit, stay and come with nearly 100% accuracy. Then DH came home and Taz turned into a half terror. He didn't know if he wanted to sit or jump. After that he spent the next couple hours hunting a fly that made it into the house - so cute to watch! Tonight I bribe DH with his favorite burgers and have the training talk about Taz. Thankfully we don't have kids!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1307396254|2939231 said:
Lol! I'm thinking agility training would be awesome for Taz. Last night with just one hour of work I was able to teach him sit, stay and come with nearly 100% accuracy. Then DH came home and Taz turned into a half terror. He didn't know if he wanted to sit or jump. After that he spent the next couple hours hunting a fly that made it into the house - so cute to watch! Tonight I bribe DH with his favorite burgers and have the training talk about Taz. Thankfully we don't have kids!

May the Force be with you! ;))

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
PS> If Taz acts up when DH gets home, it will really help for DH to ignore Taz completely until he settles down, even if that's 30 mins later. It's tough to do as it goes against our instinct, but it really works.
I had to get my Father to do this, he'd wind my guy up whenever he visited as soon as he got through the door, and my guy is very calm.
He hated it because he thought me too strict and he was doing no harm, but 150lbs of excited dog can do damage and when he took out a wall in my new house, I put my foot down!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results