shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me spend $6000!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Hi!

My mother has a GC and given me the task of buying jewelry at Judith Ripka Boutique. I have a few months but I thought I''d start looking now. I checked out her sight which doesn''t have that much info. except for a link to Neiman Marcus and some of her pieces, and I''ve seen some pieces at other stores as well. I have to buy the pieces at the JR Boutique, but I''m assuming all the pieces will be available at her boutique. Also, I don''t know if anyone is familiar with her collection, but I wanted to know if I should hold out, as in is she going to come up with a new line of jewelry in the next few months and should I wait?
33.gif

I am having a very hard time picking pieces since I don''t know what stones are real or not and their value. She wants it to be real if possible and I don''t have a clue what to get, she''s leaving it up to me with her final approval. The pieces or piece will be shared between the two of us. She said I could use it on my DAY one day but from what I''ve seen it really doesnt look like wedding jewelry to me, so just everyday or night jewelry is ok.

Please help me find nice pieces or a piece! I need some ideas. I have to spend the $ or it will go to waste. Oh yeah, and if the total is a bit over $6000 after tax (I''ll have to ask specifics) that''s ok, we want to use up the full amount.

On quick glance, I kind of like the Olivia Canary Pendant/ring/earrings, but are they real? I don''t know anything about stones. Is it better just to get whatever comes in just diamonds and the 18k gold like the Pave Cuff or Garland Pave ring?

Suggestions welcome!!

Thank you!
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I would say that the "precious" collection is what you probably mean by "real". As for her 18k gold collection, it IS real, but you need to decide what you want "real" to mean. The canary stuff you speak of is rock crystal. It is REAL rock crystal, but it is still rock crystal. So if you want something more "precious" this won''t be right, but it is certainly "real".

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you are going to have to go to one of the boutiques to see what is available or contact them for a catalogue. It seems there is very little on the internet, even on her own website.

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Haha. Neatfreak I am laughing so much at the moment and very embarrassed that I know nothing about this kind of stuff but that''s ok!
25.gif
Yes, I guess what I mean by real is "precious" and not costume kind of jewelry... or fake rocks
41.gif
... something that will retain as much of its value if possible. It just all looks soo... blingy... I don''t know.

Swingirl: yeah I am going to ask for a catalogue definitely!

Anything worth getting though from what you''ve seen?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 10:50:09 PM
Author: ~*kalypso*~
Haha. Neatfreak I am laughing so much at the moment and very embarrassed that I know nothing about this kind of stuff but that''s ok!
25.gif
Yes, I guess what I mean by real is ''precious'' and not costume kind of jewelry... or fake rocks
41.gif
... something that will retain as much of its value if possible. It just all looks soo... blingy... I don''t know.

Swingirl: yeah I am going to ask for a catalogue definitely!

Anything worth getting though from what you''ve seen?

Honestly? I can think of better ways to spend $6,000. But that is just my opinion because it isn''t my taste. None of this will retain its value IMO unless Judith Ripka achieves icon status. I would just buy what you like and enjoy wearing it for what it is.

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Neatfreak: Yes I totally agree. That''s why I need help. I would not spend that kind of money on this kind of stuff if I had a choice, neither would my mother. It''s not my style and I don''t wear a lot of jewelry in general. But we don''t have a choice. It is a GC and can''t be transferred to cash or anything like that. So we can have fun with it, but would like for it to have as much value as possible and keep it for her jewelry collection.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did she win the GC or something? I am unfamiliar with her stuff but I am sure you will have fun spending so much money!!!

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Tacori E-ring: Yup! When she told me $6000 in jewelry I jumped and was excited. I'd never heard of the designer and neither had she so she told me to look it up.

I didn't realize it would be so difficult to pick though.

Append: Actually, it hurts thinking of spending so much money when you're unsure of the jewelry, feels wasteful!
40.gif
It's kind of overpriced I think, but I can't complain since its free.
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can find something nice. I prefer more simple, classic pieces, so I''d go for the simplest thing she makes. Some of the drop earrings are pretty, and there was a pink oval pendant that was pretty. But I''d want to know what that stone is.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
you could sell it on ebay
27.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Her estate cuffs are pretty.

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 9:41:12 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
you could sell it on ebay
27.gif
Haha! When I first saw the jewelry choices, that thought crossed my mind!!! I don't know if my mother would appreciate though, so I just want to pick the nicest pieces so she can keep them and decide what to do with them later on.

When I told my BF this morning, and then he saw the choices, his face dropped. He told me to pick one of the gold rings with the pave diamonds, bring it over to LM, pop the diamonds out and put it in a pave ring. haha. I think I would be embarrassed. So the search for something to get from her continues...

I had to knock the estate cuffs out of the choices because they are over $6000.

diamondseeker: Yeah, I don't know what the stones are that is the problem. I'd like to get "precious" stones if possible.

I keeping thinking to myself, why couldn't it have been $6000 at Tiffany's instead!! Arggh. haha

Note to self... No complaining, be thankful
17.gif
27.gif
31.gif

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to see the pieces in person. A lot of her jewelry is oversized, so you really have to try it on to decide what you can comfortably wear. I''d go for the citrine earrings and ring or the diamond pave enhancer with chain and pave earrings (neimanmarcus.com).

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I Love the Lola rings and the east west set rings in the Dakota collection. It''s fun jewelry, but it and enjoy it for what it is!

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions! I''ve "contacted" them and requested a catalog be sent to my mom, if it doesnt arrive I''ll just call them. Yeah, I think I could spend the money quick too since it''s all overpriced!! but I don''t want to buy toooo much junky stuff
25.gif

I think we have to see the stuff in person. I''ll drag my mother to go to her boutique one day or at least to Neiman Marcus just to look, and pick out stuff she likes.

The stuff is just so not either one of us.. I think... haha.

Oh yeah I think she might like the bracelet, i was thinking about that one too, but the price is nuts... gosh I''ll let her decide!
20.gif

She''s been sitting on it, but the cards not expiring yet!
1.gif

35.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 6:24:29 PM
Author: cinnamon013
When my daughter tunred 16 a few years ago, I got her this bracelet (it was $150 at the time) with a blue topaz. It is an awesome bracelet. I think you can find a lot of fun stuff if you check out the whole collection.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod43360030&parentId=cat14070782&masterId=cat9340734&index=17&cmCat=cat000000cat2830732cat2830733cat000160cat9340734cat14070782
Actually, I just checked my records, and the bracelet was $295 when I got it. I don''t know what I was thinking!

~*kalypso*~

Rough_Rock
Hi.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I had "contacted" them requesting a catalog to be sent to my mom, but didn''t receive one. So I called, turns out they don''t have a catalog
41.gif
so we''ll have to go into one of her boutiques and check them out in person one day.
24.gif

So I''ll have to drag my mom with me and pick them out on the spot. Any other suggestions still welcome as I don''t know how long it will take for me to convince her to come with me to look at the stuff!

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results