shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me source a gemstone orb!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello once again!

I am looking for help in finding a 9-10mm gemstone that is round and shaped as a globe/orb and that is half drilled.

It can be any gemstone but I will be pairing it with yellow gold for a ring setting that I purchased!

If youve never seen one just picture pearl rings but the pearl is a gemstone. Thats what I'm looking for!

I dont ever see anyone posting about these kind of ring stones and im also (as you can tell) having trouble finding any with my specifications, SO all help is welcome!!

I'm particularly found of;
Carnelian, rose quartz, lapis lazuli, tigers eye, and garnet for this ring but am open to any gemstones that fit my specs and that you find lovely.

Price point doesnt matter, just that its;
- 9 or 10mm
-Round/globe shaped
-Has to be half drilled and the drill hole .9 or 1mm
-Has to be a natural gemstone

Thank you!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs has this 4ct amethyst for sale. I’m pretty sure it has an orb shape to it (though I can’t find the side pics). I’m not sure what the mm size is though.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-loose-stones-and-ring-for-sale.242040/

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/4ct-amethyst-in-14k-white-gold

Thank you so much!

I actually saw her beautiful listings the other day and wished that that amethyst would work as the cut is truly beautiful.
Alas, I'm looking for a stone that is completely round and cabochon shaped without the flat back; so just completely circular.
Thank you so much for your help though!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Garnetgirl...when I googled 10mm half drilled gem bead, lots of options came up. No hole gemstone beads seem plenty too. Seems that there are all kinds of things to choose from! Is there any type which you would prefer?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hi Garnetgirl...when I googled 10mm half drilled gem bead, lots of options came up. No hole gemstone beads seem plenty too. Seems that there are all kinds of things to choose from! Is there any type which you would prefer?

Hmmm...I have only been searching on my phone but im not sure why thatd change search results completely!

So other than these specs:
-9mm or 10mm
-completely round
-natural gem (heat is fine/dye too if i like the color)
-half drilled

Id love any gem suggestions but these come to the top of my head for this specific ring;
Lapis lazuli
Star rose quartz (would be a dream)
Carnelian
Moonstone (any and all types)
Garnet

Thank you!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is strange... maybe I typed it in differently. Ok, I’l have a look around!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
903AFFAE-686E-476F-8F05-E73FACD15A77.jpeg
Not star rose quartz, but half drilled rose quartz in a gentle faceted pattern while still basically round.

I’ll keep looking! A star rose quartz would be amazing. I wonder if one could buy a sphere and have it drilled as another option? I’m seeing many undrilled spheres of star rose quartz.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
903AFFAE-686E-476F-8F05-E73FACD15A77.jpeg
Not star rose quartz, but half drilled rose quartz in a gentle faceted pattern while still basically round.

I’ll keep looking! A star rose quartz would be amazing. I wonder if one could buy a sphere and have it drilled as another option? I’m seeing many undrilled spheres of star rose quartz.

I would totally do that Bluegemz!!
I could even ask the seller if they do drilling themselves.
If they fit the other specs please link your star rose quartz findings!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would totally do that Bluegemz!!
I could even ask the seller if they do drilling themselves.
If they fit the other specs please link your star rose quartz findings!!
I’ll look around today. I know of 2 sellers in China that sell a lot of nice, clear star rose quartz. I just have to find the names again.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I’ll look around today. I know of 2 sellers in China that sell a lot of nice, clear star rose quartz. I just have to find the names again.

Thank you very much!
Just whenever you find time no rush!

& How funny that you might be the one to find me a star rose quartz when I had briefly looked for a large cabochon for you in the past! Haha

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, here’s one seller who states that he can try to find items to meet specific specification. Claims that gems are not lab grown or reconstituted, but no experience with them. Has some nice star rose quartz though, so it might be worth asking.

Looking through these, I’m loving star rose quartz so much! A pendant or a sphere would be amazing! Love this metal backed piece! I’ve seen many amazing things. Will add other potential leads later.

https://www.m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=crystal0724&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

A71CC60C-5DDC-42F4-A501-3ABA518537E7.jpeg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Ahh you are heaven sent!
That quality is my ideal and what a lovely price. I kinda like the earrings as is though haha
I just asked the seller if they could sell me one single half drilled star rose quartz sphere. Hopefullly they can and for a better price even!
Then I might just purchase one and the earrings!
If not i should be able to definitely get one of those off!

Thank you Blue (:
You're lovely!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh you are heaven sent!
That quality is my ideal and what a lovely price. I kinda like the earrings as is though haha
I just asked the seller if they could sell me one single half drilled star rose quartz sphere. Hopefullly they can and for a better price even!
Then I might just purchase one and the earrings!
If not i should be able to definitely get one of those off!

Thank you Blue (:
You're lovely!
Yay! I’m glad you like those! I’ve got some others I can link later for fun. Have been rushing around like crazy the past few days.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So no need to link more!

The same seller for the threader earrings agreed to sell me one single half drilled 9mm star rose quartz for .....drumroll please!......

The outrageous price of $13.00 :)

Im one happy lady.
Thank you! That sphere is ideal and will be beautifully magical!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I finally found the perfect size orb for this vintage setting!

Heres my fun little self- set project! Included a lot of patience as the gem was oh so late in the mail!
A few photos were edited to show what I see in person for the color but not all as the lighting already distorted the color in the light shots.

Also I see like two or three stars??? Is that possible?

Oh and thanks for the help @Bluegemz !
Such a kind, simple, and small gesture to find the listing for me but the feeling I get from having something tangible that is the pure result of a strangers kindness on PS is enormous!

=)2
20181210_202100.jpg 20181210_202121.jpg 20181210_195759~2.jpg 20181210_195741~3.jpg

Ps. I named this gemstone "Aurora Rose";
Kinda sounds like a rundown motel or a **** star I know, but she was a cheap gal and isnt meek or hidden but bulbous and out there on proud display! ⭐
*shaking my own head*

Last edited:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I finally found the perfect size orb for this vintage setting!

Heres my fun little self- set project! Included a lot of patience as the gem was oh so late in the mail!
A few photos were edited to show what I see in person for the color but not all as the lighting already distorted the color in the light shots.

Also I see like two or three stars??? Is that possible?

Oh and thanks for the help @Bluegemz !
Such a kind, simple, and small gesture to find the listing for me but the feeling I get from having something tangible that is the pure result of a strangers kindness on PS is enormous!

=)2
20181210_202100.jpg 20181210_202121.jpg 20181210_195759~2.jpg 20181210_195741~3.jpg

Ps. I named this gemstone "Aurora Rose";
Kinda sounds like a rundown motel or a **** star I know, but she was a cheap gal and isnt meek or hidden but bulbous and out there on proud display! ⭐
*shaking my own head*

So cute! You can tell mini fortunes with that crystal ball. ;)2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So cute! You can tell mini fortunes with that crystal ball. ;)2

You made me chuckle!

I could totally try and read fortunes, but I have a feeling that I would only be seeing fame in everyones future. ;-) ⭐

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I absolutely love your ring. I don't think I have seen anything like it. :appl:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that is such a unique and gorgeous ring! That rose quartz looks amazing in it and it’s an adorable, beautiful one too. Love love love this piece:) it was a pleasure to help with this.

I’ve seen really clear star rose quartz which makes a star in the front and back.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, @TheGarnetGirl!
This is really cool! I love it! :love:
Great job on the ring!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone!
I'm so thrilled that this project is finally complete and its a ring that I'll truly enjoy.

I had some fun with my mer-girl reproduction (;
Rosey Cheeked Aurora
20181211_101147.jpg 20181211_101145.jpg

Spots a star in the sky ⭐
20181211_101131.jpg 20181211_101101.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! You finally found the right stone for that setting!
And I think I see a Maxfield Parrish......so dreamy!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! You finally found the right stone for that setting!
And I think I see a Maxfield Parrish......so dreamy!

Yes and Yes! Haha
I loved my "Beehive" tahitian but it just still didnt feel like it fit it perfectly and once I found a vintage old stock 14k pearl peg and cup that was substantial I decided to take it out and put it on the purchased peg to make a pendant.
Now It's going to my mother on a chain for Xmas (:
& this star rose quartz fits the setting to a T!

And yes! Ive grown up in a house filled with Max's! My mother who taught me the love of the hunt (thrift-antique-garage-estate) has always collected them. She gave me this one, a print of a reproduction when she got the original print (:
I'm in love with every picture painted; theyre all so ethereal and dreamy.
My mother has my favorite of hers of a woman and her baby laying out which is hanging above her clawfoot tube.
Ive always admired it ☀

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results