shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me set this trio.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all. I scored these sparkly beauties from Brad at the gem trader and I am not sure how to show them off best. My only requirement is I want an open gallery and set fairly low. They aren't super deep so should not be an issue.

The center is 9 x 7.7 mm and the sides are 5.5 x 4ish

Bezel, semi bezel, prong? 20210606_144219.jpg

20210605_153812.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of stones are they?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Assuming they are gray spinels. I would go with prongs and a trellis gallery like so.
Screenshot_20210612-163500.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Assuming they are gray spinels. I would go with prongs and a trellis gallery like so.
Screenshot_20210612-163500.png

This would be gorgeous.

I actually might go for matte 18k gold for these

I also really like something like this - you could bezel or do tab prongs for the sides

E32CD2C9-B31C-46F9-8F20-5D3DF25B4ED8.jpeg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of stones are they?

Opps. Totally forgot that. Burmese Grey Spinel. He has a few of the smaller pairs left if anyone *needs* them. He said he didn't anticipate getting any shipments from Burma at this point so it would all be via Thailand etc with the expected middleman mark up

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @voce ! I love how much light that setting lets in.

@Cerulean swoon. Tabs are pretty awesome and would maybe be less prone to collecting lint than smaller pointed ones.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stones are beautiful! I also have a suite of three colored stones I have been stumped on how to set. I can’t wait to see how you set yours.
I’ve always love this Joe Escobar ring with the three sapphires in halos. The band could be pave, plain/polished, engraved, etc.
A version with round stones was once JOTW.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @voce ! I love how much light that setting lets in.

@Cerulean swoon. Tabs are pretty awesome and would maybe be less prone to collecting lint than smaller pointed ones.
Exactly! I am veeeery anti lint and pro low maintenance!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a three stone faux bezel? With button or tab prongs, not claw.
I think that faux bezel may take away some aspect of prong lint catching - maybe?
And maybe the faux bezel won’t tend to darken your spinel as much as a traditional bezel would.
Gallery could still be as open as you’d like.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how you gals get so much lint into jewelry. I like pointy claws as sharp as they come, and I only remember getting lint into one of my rings when I left it in a pocket, and the ring went for a spin in the washing machine. Then again, I'm a California girl, so I may be wearing less in terms of woolens and knits?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how you gals get so much lint into jewelry. I like pointy claws as sharp as they come, and I only remember getting lint into one of my rings when I left it in a pocket, and the ring went for a spin in the washing machine. Then again, I'm a California girl, so I may be wearing less in terms of woolens and knits?

I tend to get hair more than lint as I put my hair up in between zoom meetings.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

I have no idea, honestly. I wore a claw pronged ring for 3 days, pulled out fuzzies right and left...then had them re-tipped, they looked perfect under a loupe....fuzzies anyways.

I have a cat with really fine, cottony long hair, wear basically only natural fibers (wool, loose-weave linens, etc). Anything could be a culprit.

If you can believe it, I have still pulled fuzzies and snagged a hair with my semi-bezel (although it is very, very rare)! :rolleyes:

So maybe...I'm just cursed? :lol:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Ok found some galleries- @Cerulean loved that eragem one. But now pondering would you set the sides lower than the center, seems to be standard for 3 stones, or would you set them all at the same height? Is there an advantage one way or another?

Doctored this a bit but here is set below.

20210615_085931.jpg

Not a ring but all at the same height.

E341CG.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ok found some galleries- @Cerulean loved that eragem one. But now pondering would you set the sides lower than the center, seems to be standard for 3 stones, or would you set them all at the same height? Is there an advantage one way or another?

Doctored this a bit but here is set below.

20210615_085931.jpg

Not a ring but all at the same height.

E341CG.jpg

Given the size difference of the stones, I would actually drop the sides. My original setting for my 3 stone had them all flush - and I think that is a style that is better suited to similarly sized stones IMO.

What I don’t like about the one I posted is that the sides stick out like wings a bit for my liking, you could have them raised up a little bit, but I’d have the angle follow the slope of your finger more. Granted this is all personal preference so take it with a grain of salt.

Here is my original setting CAD - see how there’s a big gap under the sides in the profile? I didn’t like it IRL

8AFB9970-860B-457F-9329-CCA221D987D8.jpeg

Here is my new setting which actually flows much more nicely to me - the sides are dropped but follow the slope of my finger

DF1EB7C3-25F5-4F25-8C52-DF09E6443B9A.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Forgive my crap drawing…

5EC0392F-F8A7-44DF-9372-66E452484B35.jpeg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Given the size difference of the stones, I would actually drop the sides. My original setting for my 3 stone had them all flush - and I think that is a style that is better suited to similarly sized stones IMO.

What I don’t like about the one I posted is that the sides stick out like wings a bit for my liking, you could have them raised up a little bit, but I’d have the angle follow the slope of your finger more. Granted this is all personal preference so take it with a grain of salt.

Here is my original setting CAD - see how there’s a big gap under the sides in the profile? I didn’t like it IRL

8AFB9970-860B-457F-9329-CCA221D987D8.jpeg

Here is my new setting which actually flows much more nicely to me - the sides are dropped but follow the slope of my finger

DF1EB7C3-25F5-4F25-8C52-DF09E6443B9A.jpeg

Ah! Exactly thank you and thank you for reminding me “follow the slope of the finger.” I always forget the language and end up spending two paragraphs trying to get it across. I suspect the clean gallery is easier when everything sits on the same base

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results