color
clarity

Help me set this garnet please!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it's a Umba Valley Tanzania garnet 1.84ct, 6.7mm

My questions are:

Yellow or white gold - I'll be honest I'm leaning towards yellow because I need yellow gold rings but am worried the yellow might distort the colour of the garnet. Is that possible? I have rose gold around a green tourmaline and that didn't make the green look murky or anything

Will it pop more against white gold though.....

I really need a yellow gold ring!

The crown is SUPER high. Do they need to watch out when they set this?

Any other suggestions?

I think I'm going to halo this stone as it is little!

20180820_101233.jpg

20180820_101121.jpg

More pics when my phone charges!

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another pic! Please excuse the grubby box! Stuff stuck to the tape residue!

20180820_130043.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color & gem! :love:

Do you have any white and yellow gold pieces you can lay the gem with to see how it looks by each metal? I have done this with my loose gems to see which my eye is more drawn to.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for yellow gold. Yellow gold really makes warm colors pop, imo. I also think it is great for saturated colors, whereas white gold and rose gold help with pastel tones.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold will be fine. It would only enhance the warmth of the garnet. I'd be more worried about the stones in the halo distorting the colour of the garnet. I wouldn't go with diamonds for this one. Personally I'd like to see this garnet with a pink sapphire halo, since orange and pink complement each other well.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think yellow gold is going to be really beautiful with this stone. Could you put maybe both gold colors next to it?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies I'll pose the stone with other gold tomorrow.

Unfortunately @voce my settings are usually premade settings to keep costs down so it can only be diamonds.

5yo adores the stone. Kept sneaking it out of it's box to look at it. Let's hope it survives to be set. I don't have the heart to stop him since it makes him so happy. The shape and colour remind him of a cartoon gem that's why.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think either metal should be fine, depending on your preference. I would prefer a colored halo looking at your stone but sparkly diamonds always works too. How big typically are the halo melees that you use/plan to use?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies I'll pose the stone with other gold tomorrow.

Unfortunately @voce my settings are usually premade settings to keep costs down so it can only be diamonds.

5yo adores the stone. Kept sneaking it out of it's box to look at it. Let's hope it survives to be set. I don't have the heart to stop him since it makes him so happy. The shape and colour remind him of a cartoon gem that's why.

So adorable! He’s going to be a real rock hound. My DS likes to put on my rings, one on each finger. He looks very proud when he’s blinged out. I have to separate out my ring box soon so he can still have some to play with while the good stuff is locked up.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Halo away :)
I think diamonds and yg/rg would be fine.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So adorable! He’s going to be a real rock hound. My DS likes to put on my rings, one on each finger. He looks very proud when he’s blinged out. I have to separate out my ring box soon so he can still have some to play with while the good stuff is locked up.

Mine has stuff he can play with and stuff he can't touch as well! I gave him a 9ct gold Amethyst ring (might be created I think I bought it for like $50 at one of those cheap chain stores) and he was so happy. He's got his eye on my tiny emerald which I haven't set. He's BEGGING me not to set it and give it to him.

Little boys playing with jewellery is hilarious though! The other day he was decked out, jade bangle on each arm, jade necklace. Straight away the bangles became deflection bands and the necklace shot lasers.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade whatever it is, it'll be economical! Haha you ladies have given me more confidence to bargain so we'll see how I fare on my next trip out!

@Burmesedaze your pic of your pink sapphire ring has inspired me! Yours looks great and is not overly huge so I think I can make this stone work!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your garnet will do well in yellow or white gold. I think the contrast of white gold against the garnet will make it "pop" more but there is nothing wrong with the harmony of similar warm tones in jewelry.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Mine has stuff he can play with and stuff he can't touch as well! I gave him a 9ct gold Amethyst ring (might be created I think I bought it for like $50 at one of those cheap chain stores) and he was so happy. He's got his eye on my tiny emerald which I haven't set. He's BEGGING me not to set it and give it to him.

Little boys playing with jewellery is hilarious though! The other day he was decked out, jade bangle on each arm, jade necklace. Straight away the bangles became deflection bands and the necklace shot lasers.

Well, as Wakanda shows us, why can’t our high tech armor look like expensive jewelry?

Speaking of which, I remember my grandpa as being really blinged out when I was little. Thick gold chain, big gemstone rings... I don’t know when it became de rigor for men to be so unadorned...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My computer monitor shows this as being salmon colored. Is it more orange in real life?
I think it will be stunning in yellow gold. I have an orange stone in YG. See my avatar, Spess in YG. I think this works but a friend said white gold would also work.

spess_set_side_view.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Stone Hunter thank you for that pic!!!!! My stone is like that but slighty pinkish. It looks more orange in low light!

Based on your pic it will be fab in yellow gold!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@icy_jade whatever it is, it'll be economical! Haha you ladies have given me more confidence to bargain so we'll see how I fare on my next trip out!

@Burmesedaze your pic of your pink sapphire ring has inspired me! Yours looks great and is not overly huge so I think I can make this stone work!

I think my ruby rings are even smaller stones than your garnet. See what halos do for them :) so long as the colour pops.

Besides, you have small fingers!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahhh ok so development on this and some drama!

So Pink Bandit saw the garnet and made a comment about how it was very similar to my pink zircon but less impressive in size. I went and thought about it and what he said was true. Any outfits that I'd wear with the garnet can be worn with the zircon. Only when you do a side by side comparison do you see the difference in colour.

So anyways my sister got a good look at the garnet in real life today (she picked my son up from school for me so I could have a day out with friends) and fell in love with it. I figured if someone I love loves it why not give it to her. So I offered it to her. She took and we're going to have a girls day to so she can buy a setting for it.

First thing she does is wave it at the 5yo and says "Look what your mum gave me."

5yo then went and protested about the garnet and said he loves it too (which he does ever since he saw in onscreen) and if I was not using it I should have given it to him.

A bit of a tussle ensued so now 5yo has possession of my 5.9mm emerald which he's been eying for a while now.

Kids! Who would have em!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Indulgent sister and mum :)

This means Pink Bandit will have to ALLOW you to get moar stones!

I bet if all were pink, he wouldn't say they were similar ;-)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha yes they are both my children in different ways! I like to see them happy, especially over such trivial things. 5yo promised to give the emerald back when I need it!

One will enjoy picking out a ring and one will try to loupe the stone! Speaking of loupes I want to buy the 5yo a better quality one!

Pink Bandit would have no complaints about another pure pink stone! He likes the zircon a lot more because it leans more pink under certain lights whereas the garnet is a pinky orange so he's like "One is bigger and pinker but you can use them for the same outfits so why bother with the small one that looks orange."

Of course if he were a chick he'd just wear the pink sapphire all the time.

I feel like I have done all this stuff and yet acquired nothing after a week :lol:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol I can get a good quality Bausch & Lomb 10x loupe or similar in Bkk for you. Lmk.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup that's the one. Can't remember how much i paid. Maybe 2/3 of that? It's small but my 20x is even smaller.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you recommend the 10x or 20x for a soon to be 6yr old.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Would a microscope be easier to use?

Or something like this?
01D738A6-992A-4345-BDA9-AC7143EF680B.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should start a thread but I've gained momentum here.

Ok so this weekend we went to the science fair and he looked into some hard core microscopes to analyse sand samples.

Initially for his birthday we promised him a science grade microscope to view bacteria but then realised it was too hard to use cuz you need to know how to collect samples and not contaminate them and use the right dyes etc. Basically stuff we know nothing about.

But the microscopes at the science fair we managed to use easily. I wonder if I could use them on gems.........

So he can use them on gems and leaves and other junk he wants to look at.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Haha yes they are both my children in different ways! I like to see them happy, especially over such trivial things. 5yo promised to give the emerald back when I need it!

One will enjoy picking out a ring and one will try to loupe the stone! Speaking of loupes I want to buy the 5yo a better quality one!

Pink Bandit would have no complaints about another pure pink stone! He likes the zircon a lot more because it leans more pink under certain lights whereas the garnet is a pinky orange so he's like "One is bigger and pinker but you can use them for the same outfits so why bother with the small one that looks orange."

Of course if he were a chick he'd just wear the pink sapphire all the time.

I feel like I have done all this stuff and yet acquired nothing after a week :lol:

Wow what a cute story, and I think your DS got the better deal if he gets to keep the emerald! So are you keeping the light pink spinel then? I must say though, pinky-orange is a different colour from pink, so you could have argued to keep the garnet. But you and your sis have the same ring size right? So you can borrow each other’s rings!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow what a cute story, and I think your DS got the better deal if he gets to keep the emerald! So are you keeping the light pink spinel then? I must say though, pinky-orange is a different colour from pink, so you could have argued to keep the garnet. But you and your sis have the same ring size right? So you can borrow each other’s rings!

haha I was trying to hock the spinel off in an attempt to hold onto my emerald but DS didn't buy it! He has good taste. The emerald was tiny but mighty and it just glows. I do have a very nice emerald ring so I'm not too crushed.

Yes I have the pink spinel now that they both got what they wanted!

The garnet and zircon are different side by side. Zircon is a more browny dusty pink. Garnet is more orange. But if I were to stack them up against outfits that I own, they both go with the exact same outfits so in this sense would be competing for the same job if that makes sense!

Funny thing is "He who used to be shy about big stones" Mr Pink Bandit seems to have turned a corner and is all for big stones now! Lol he told me I should buy everything in the green tourmaline size! I'm like "Honey the only reason we can afford the green tourmaline in that size is because it's a tourmaline!"

I swear a few years ago he wanted everything to be half a carat so it didn't look garish (according to him). Except the crazy yellow diamond ring. That one he's always liked even though it's crazy!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's for perspective. Takes a bit of practice to focus with the 10x. 20x too. Not sure if that's good for young eyes.

20180822_230115.jpg 20180822_230119.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG thanks so much for the comparison pics!

I'm going to look into an actual microscope for him! Maybe we can use it on gems too! He was fine using the microscope at the gem fair.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results