shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pull the trigger, PLEASE!!!

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Help me pull the trigger, PLEASE! I want to make a decision today! :appl:

I got thses pictures from Garrett and I think the stone is very good.
He said "I’ve attached several new pictures of J13 next to P11. As you can see, J13 is a far superior stone. It’s a clean and very solid stone as is typical with a lot of material like this out of the Chivor mine. Material like this also tends to require very little treatment because it’s so solid and clean. I personally tend to favor Chivor stones over the more famous Muzo mine because of this. The color is a medium green with a hint of blue as is also common with Chivor stones. With the depth of this stone and the excellent clarity and brilliance, the color comes through very nicely. If the stone will be mounted in a bezel setting, the setting will deepen and intensify the color further."

Any concern that you may have?
or should I go for it TODAY!

109_0.jpg
069_0.jpg
059.jpg
025_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How accurate are the colours of both emeralds in those pictures?

rocku

Shiny_Rock
I don't know, those coins look OK.
I have the one on the right reserved, and the front/back pictures are from the one on the right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coins generally stay fine but green doesn't always photograph well because most camera sensors do not "do" greens well. From your reply, I take it you have not seen the stones yet. I have a preference but it may not be in line with yours. Since you are down to only two choices, how about having the vendor send both stones to you for review. Take a day or two to view the emeralds under various lighting to see if you can live with the inclusions, colour, and etc. This way, there will be no regrets as you know exactly how they look and behave.

rocku

Shiny_Rock
I have not seen the stone yet, but I LOVE the one on the right.
BTW, the front and back pciture are the same stone that is on the right.

From Egg's review, this guy's camera is slightly light than the real life view. that's the only reference I have.

Chrono|1359552089|3367277 said:
Coins generally stay fine but green doesn't always photograph well because most camera sensors do not "do" greens well. From your reply, I take it you have not seen the stones yet. I have a preference but it may not be in line with yours. Since you are down to only two choices, how about having the vendor send both stones to you for review. Take a day or two to view the emeralds under various lighting to see if you can live with the inclusions, colour, and etc. This way, there will be no regrets as you know exactly how they look and behave.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you love it for the colour or the fact that it is cleaner? Remember that these pictures are greatly magnified and the jardin you see on the emerald on the left is likely to be much less obvious in person, perhaps even eye clean. Although I am generalizing, emeralds from Muzo have better colouration than those from the Chivor mine. The size difference of the two is also very noticeable. Based on the reasons listed, I would want to confirm all these with my own eyes in order to make an informed decision.

rocku

Shiny_Rock
It acutlly due to size and color.
I want a intense green Emerald but NOT over 2.5, the one on the left is well over 3ct (Cheaper). Too big for xs size hand.

Garrett's comment on the left one is:
"This emerald cut emerald may not be the deepest emerald green color or possess crystal clarity, but you certainly won't find an almost 3.5 carat emerald of this quality, anywhere else at a price this low. "

Not exactly a raining endorsement.

Chrono|1359552995|3367286 said:
Do you love it for the colour or the fact that it is cleaner? Remember that these pictures are greatly magnified and the jardin you see on the emerald on the left is likely to be much less obvious in person, perhaps even eye clean. Although I am generalizing, emeralds from Muzo have better colouration than those from the Chivor mine. The size difference of the two is also very noticeable. Based on the reasons listed, I would want to confirm all these with my own eyes in order to make an informed decision.

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Regardless of whether the camera used here can handle green accurately, the coins do not look good at all. They're practically black, with absolutely no detail and just a sliver of colour around their edges. This suggests to me that the emeralds similarly look darker and more saturated in these pictures than in person as well.

While you may be eager to pull the trigger, Chrono is right -- just to be safe, get both of these stones in your hand before you make a decision. I am not an expert on emeralds or any other kind of stone for that matter, but I do know something about photography and I can tell from the coins that this is not an accurate or well-exposed photograph.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I am no expert but I also like the smaller stone better. I looked them both up on the website and the photos there confirm my preference. It wouldn't hurt to buy both for the sake of comparison though and then return the stone you like least.

Please make sure to come back and share the finished piece once you've made a decision!

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Great point, I will check their return policy for sure.

emmmme|1359554225|3367291 said:
Regardless of whether the camera used here can handle green accurately, the coins do not look good at all. They're practically black, with absolutely no detail and just a sliver of colour around their edges. This suggests to me that the emeralds similarly look darker and more saturated in these pictures than in person as well.

While you may be eager to pull the trigger, Chrono is right -- just to be safe, get both of these stones in your hand before you make a decision. I am not an expert on emeralds or any other kind of stone for that matter, but I do know something about photography and I can tell from the coins that this is not an accurate or well-exposed photograph.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing there are posts missing in this thread because I have no clue as to why there are references to "coins"! :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1359568801|3367432 said:
I'm guessing there are posts missing in this thread because I have no clue as to why there are references to "coins"! :lol:

LD,
You are indeed correct! Rocku's original post is gone, and with it at least 2 pictures of the emeralds under consideration which were taken with 3 coins to help gauge colour accuracy and size perspective.

rocku

Shiny_Rock
LD.
Pic was lost somehow,
Here you go again, please take a look.
[/quote]

Chrono|1359569312|3367443 said:
LD|1359568801|3367432 said:

LD,
You are indeed correct! Rocku's original post is gone, and with it at least 2 pictures of the emeralds under consideration which were taken with 3 coins to help gauge colour accuracy and size perspective

_3373.jpg

119.jpg

_3374.jpg

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Ha, my org. post came back. :appl:
They must have a server problem somehow. :errrr:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smaller of the two is a killer stone. I don't like the larger one at all. It looks too silky.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Emmmme about these emeralds looking lighter and less saturated in person because of the darkness of the coins.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1359637741|3368391 said:

I agree with Emmmme about these emeralds looking lighter and less saturated in person because of the darkness of the coins.

I'm not so sure. I think that there's a shadow on the coins but the gem is held up so less in shade. On the basis of those photos (and knowing they have a good returns policy), I wouldn't bother looking further - I'd buy it and get it home for a look. Let's face it, Emeralds are difficult to photograph and the vendor has been great in providing all the additional photos (not many do that). Also, if the OP waits for a photograph of an Emerald that we think accurately reflects colour, we'll all be sitting here for a very long time! :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
Knowing emeralds are difficult to photograph, are you so sure of selecting the smaller one that you would not get both to view in person, then keep one and return the other?

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all !!!
Assuming the stone is a killer, I can finally move on to the setting .
I have being lurking :naughty: and mouth watering :lickout: around for a long time....
Any goode Emerald desgin pictures/suggestion?

Here is one I like so far. Old school isn't it?
http://www.msnelkin.com/rings.html#4

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn't old school; it is classy, elegant and timeless. ;))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1359638155|3368397 said:
LD,
Knowing emeralds are difficult to photograph, are you so sure of selecting the smaller one that you would not get both to view in person, then keep one and return the other?

Yes. The clarity of the larger one is obvious and much poorer than the smaller one. That's not going to change (and won't have been affected by the photograph). The ONLY time I would do that is if I really couldn't tell the two apart. If the larger was less silky then I perhaps would get it for a look BUT couple the photograph with the price (it's much cheaper and bigger than the smaller one) and the vendor's comments, I think it's safe to assume that the larger one isn't a good candidate.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I asked is because every time I photograph my emerald, it looks very cloudy but it isn't in person.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rocku|1359638554|3368401 said:
Thank you all !!!
Assuming the stone is a killer, I can finally move on to the setting .
I have being lurking :naughty: and mouth watering :lickout: around for a long time....
Any goode Emerald desgin pictures/suggestion?

Here is one I like so far. Old school isn't it?
http://www.msnelkin.com/rings.html#4

WAIT! STOP! Get the stone first and make sure you love it. Then move on to thinking about the setting. The reason for this is because size of a central gem can make a big difference to the setting you want (or final look you want). Once you have the gem in hand your thinking may alter radically.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1359638921|3368407 said:
The reason I asked is because every time I photograph my emerald, it looks very cloudy but it isn't in person.

That's unusual - I've not had that happen to me. Having said that, the two Emeralds in this thread have been photographed by the same camera. One is clear the other isn't. It's probably safe to assume that the bigger one isn't - also if it had the same clarity as the smaller one then the price would be higher don't you think?

rocku

Shiny_Rock
I can not help myself now... I am on fire :angryfire:

[/quote]
WAIT! STOP! Get the stone first and make sure you love it. Then move on to thinking about the setting. The reason for this is because size of a central gem can make a big difference to the setting you want (or final look you want). Once you have the gem in hand your thinking may alter radically.[/quote]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know about this vendor but I know of others where the price for loupe clean stones is a lot more expensive than eye clean stones. Again, I have no answers but am merely playing devil's advocate. ;))

rengb6

Rough_Rock
Personally I love the color and clarity of the smaller stone. As for the vendor, my sister just purchased two smaller stones from him and the color was just as pretty in person as it was in the photos. I would buy the stone. He has a good return policy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocku, please get both knowing you will return one. I say that because it will put to bed any questions that may linger as to whether you bought the right one. Also, just in case they are slightly different in hand than they photograph, again, better to make the decision with both in front of you. You never know how your eye will perceive the jardin. Frankly, while I see a difference in clarity between them, the bigger one does not look so inclusion-riddled to be knocked out of consideration for me and I see a glow there as well.

And another precinct hear from! :lol:

oneeqi

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1359638155|3368397 said:
LD,

very true with emerald, always see it in person before decide to buy :geek:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results