shape
carat
color
clarity

help me pick please

sunshine02

Rough_Rock
hi there, saw these two diamonds from WF.
the price difference between these 2 is usd1,000.
with my inexperienced eyes, the F colored one seems to have a lot of inclusions, and that bothers me. but the price is well within my budget.
The G colored one is super clean, because the clarity is 2 grades higher than the F colored, it is also priced at usd 1k more.
any other factors contribute to the big price difference?
if you were me, which one you would pick?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3929342.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3929345.htm

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are fine. Neither have any inclusions that should raise any clarity issues.

For your budget, I'd suggest this one. It larger by a visual amount and eyeclean. H is very white and unless she is very color sensitive not very different from a G.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3256265.htm

Your WF choices on the left and my suggested on the right.
upload_2018-1-23_6-55-0.png

Do you have a setting in mind? I'd have WF set the stone for you. While rare, diamonds can be damaged during setting and you want the setting vendor to have equal super-ideal on hand to replace it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto RockySalamander...ACAs reflect light so well that color is very well masked. Especially in the range that you are looking at. People notice
(and usually appreciate) size over color.

You can ask WF for a photo of the H above and two other stones together so you can have a better look/comparison.

sunshine02

Rough_Rock
woah. the color H really looks a lot bigger. she is quite color sensitive. she was able to pick a color D over a G side by side at the store!
nonetheless, will ask WF to help take a picture of the 3 stones for comparison.

we are looking at a simple setting like this one.
we like it that we can see the tip of the stone.
but we don’t like the knife edge band.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

you think we can ask WF to change the band to a broader one band like this one?
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/broadway-solitaire-engagement-ring-341.htm

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side by side it is easier to pick between two colors. But were they GIA graded D and F stones?

sunshine02

Rough_Rock
yeah. GIA graded. sorry it’s F over G, not D over G.

sorry, dont mean to be rude, a of the stores over here don’t recommend people to go below G. i’m very tempted to take the H since it is visibly much larger than the G.

Is it true that a well cut diamond like one rocky salamander picked, will reflect light well enough to mask the yellow tint?

sorry, just need abit of assurance as i’m really noob with diamonds..

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sorry, dont mean to be rude, a of the stores over here don’t recommend people to go below G. i’m very tempted to take the H since it is visibly much larger than the G.

Is it true that a well cut diamond like one rocky salamander picked, will reflect light well enough to mask the yellow tint?

If she can see tint and it bothers her, then I probably wouldn't go do below a G. How about these super ideals?
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...nd-ags-104095011005#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/3/
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7821

AGS is sometimes said to be slightly softer on grading...even though these aren't super ideal, they are still in the ideal range and will be beautiful:
:love: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-3151850
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2061670
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-3634660
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-e-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-3634602

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Where are you? Some countries/nationalities prefer high color/clarity. Most people just dont realize that a really well cut stone like an ACA faces up
very white. A lot of people only see stones that are not all that well cut that dont reflect light well and show a lot of color. Or, they may be graded by
a lesser lab that calls a stone that GIA would grade a J a G.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the "H" listed above. I have an "I" and it is so white, I can't even tell. I used to have a GIA H and I thought it was tinted, and ended up changing it to a G. But with ACA's I personally am not color sensitive anymore.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she actually repulsed by color, or just that she can distinguish color?

Think of those paint fans they have at the hardware store. Where you agonize over the cool white or the warm white. Or the gray white. But they're all white.

sunshine02

Rough_Rock
1.005ct F SI1_1.007ct G VS1_1.11ct H VS1_1.jpg 1.005ct F SI1_1.007ct G VS1_1.11ct H VS1_2.jpg both of us are newbies. i would say she is able
to distinguish the color, i wouldn’t say she hates yellow diamonds.
we are from singapore. everyone here says NO GO to anything beyond G. stick with F is better.
I noticed a lot of people here like HIJK.
so we don’t really understand how come the asian counterparts are so obsessed with DEF.
i have a small budget and of course i like to maximize the size, but i also don’t want her to feel inferior when everyone around her is having higher grade color stones.
oh well..

WF just replied that the H mentioned in the above thread is still in the lab, hence she is unable to take the picture for me. but she took a picture for me using another H. The F is on the left, G in the middle and H on the right.

i can’t tell the color difference of course. and the size difference is not great too. but i noticed the H picked by rocky salamander has got a wider diameter at 6.71, hence would look much bigger as compared to the H in the picture. is it true?

if i have to go down to H, i would pick the H picked by rocky salamander?

is the H picked by rocky salamander a better deal than the G i picked? please help!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in HK and the cultural preference regarding colour is similar to that of Singapore.. it seems to be commonly said that DEFG are the most desirable colours. In reality, I have an I diamond from WF and it faces up very white for me. I might go up to an H as an upgrade but I would not want to pay the premium for DEF. I'd rather go up in clarity due to personal preference (I am sensitive to clarity but not to colour). Also, I see many of the jewelry stores here have GIA GHI diamonds in their display windows these days in addition to the traditional DEF.

Edited to add:
I have owned 2 different 'I' diamonds that are Whiteflash ACA. Both faced up quite white. They were slightly warmer than DEF, but definitely I could not easily tell the difference between a G diamond I used to have.

Although the sunlight/lighting will look slightly different in Singapore since you are closer to the equator, you can see some photos of my 'I' ACAs in Hong Kong light which should be somewhat similar. I found my diamond looked different when I visited the US and Canada, so it may be helpful to see the diamond in an environment close to Singapore's. Good luck with your decision!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...olitaire-cvb-french-cut-eternity-band.230815/ (page 2 of this thread also has a photo of the 'I' diamond outdoors in Japan)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-4ct-i-vs2-whiteflash-aca-x-cvb-jovyn.227764/

Last edited:

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can tell the difference in the photos ... and although it's absolute codswallop to be able to tell face up on a computer screen, my first impression was the diamond on the left was an E. But the difference between the 3 in the hand is subtle.

The one on the right has a visible yellow tinge and if she's colour sensitive - don't do it. It's simply expectation in asian cultures. They like colourless (especially D) as it's a sign of prestige to be able be at the assumed 'perfect' end fo the spectrum. That and Asians likes having something inferior to anybody else. They're silly in that way.

You will find that if your lady is particular, she will want a D,E,F as even a G is considered no longer in the "colourless" bracket even though realistically, anybody reliably saying what colour it was once set and worn in real life would just be guessing!

My tip "Pick what your fiancé wants - not what everyone here tells you she may want". I would pick the 'G' over an 'H' if there is even the suggestion she will be disappointed by a disapproving comment or reaction from others.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @tanalasta. If your girlfriend values color/clarity over cut/size, then go with that. Also, if having the approval of friends and family is important, that is something to consider as well. (I can't bring myself to recommend higher than a F personally, unless it is a "mind clean"/psychological preference. My aunt has a F VVS2 and at normal viewing distance in most lighting, to me it looks about the same color and clarity as my I VS2. But everyone's eyesight and preference will vary.) :D

Last edited:

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You really need to work out what specification your intended want. Ask her siblings or just ask her. If it's no surprise to her that you're thinking of marriage, then you may find the discussion rewarding.

Asian women of a certain generation and upbringing expect you to be able to read their minds. But sometimes it pays to ask because it's better to do so than to get it wrong.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The decision of which stone to get depends on which of the 4 Cs (carat, cut, clarity, colour) are the most important to YOU and which of the 4 Cs that you are willing to compromise on. If she is color sensitive and if it is a cultural/social thing then go for a higher color. It may help you to make a list ranking the order in which of the 4 Cs is most important to you as a couple (assuming the "5th C" is a fixed value, ie. the Cost!). For me, my priorities are 1. Cut, 2. Clarity, 3. Carat, 4. Colour. Someone else will choose differently since it depends on personal preference.

For what it's worth, I would say that the F SI1 should face up clean for an SI1. The plot looks nice, relatively few inclusions under the table. However I would encourage you to review what WF's definition of eye clean is, because it is subjective and it may not be the same as yours. If you and your fiancee have very good eyesight or will regularly be looking at the diamond from a close distance then you may consider getting a higher clarity diamond (https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/ -- scroll down to the question about the meaning of 'eye clean').

The size of the H will be noticeably bigger than the F. If size is more important than colour, then you should consider that.

If colour is a concern, you could consider compromising and get a G VS1/VS2 instead of F SI1 or H VS2. I would not get the H if the colour is going to be a concern due to your personal preference and/or social circles.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sunshine02 Did you see the other options I posted for you above?

sunshine02

Rough_Rock
@sunshine02 Did you see the other options I posted for you above?
yes i saw. thanks, but i’m liasing with WF and the girl has been really nice and patient with me, so i think i will stick with WF.
i just haven’t decided on the f, g or h. im still torn.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes i saw. thanks, but i’m liasing with WF and the girl has been really nice and patient with me, so i think i will stick with WF.
i just haven’t decided on the f, g or h. im still torn.

As much as I prefer the size of the H, I wouldn't do it given what you have said about being in Singapore and your gf being able to see color. WF has a great upgrade policy so I'd go with the F or G (both beautiful!) and perhaps upgrade to a little larger down the road! My personal choice would probably be for the F since it's the exact same size, cheaper, better color and definitely eye clean at this size.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
1.005ct F SI1_1.007ct G VS1_1.11ct H VS1_1.jpg 1.005ct F SI1_1.007ct G VS1_1.11ct H VS1_2.jpg both of us are newbies. i would say she is able
to distinguish the color, i wouldn’t say she hates yellow diamonds.
we are from singapore. everyone here says NO GO to anything beyond G. stick with F is better.
I noticed a lot of people here like HIJK.
so we don’t really understand how come the asian counterparts are so obsessed with DEF.
i have a small budget and of course i like to maximize the size, but i also don’t want her to feel inferior when everyone around her is having higher grade color stones.
oh well..

WF just replied that the H mentioned in the above thread is still in the lab, hence she is unable to take the picture for me. but she took a picture for me using another H. The F is on the left, G in the middle and H on the right.

i can’t tell the color difference of course. and the size difference is not great too. but i noticed the H picked by rocky salamander has got a wider diameter at 6.71, hence would look much bigger as compared to the H in the picture. is it true?

if i have to go down to H, i would pick the H picked by rocky salamander?

is the H picked by rocky salamander a better deal than the G i picked? please help!!

Why don’t you show her this picture and outright ask her if she wants a smaller G or a distinctly bigger H? They are both so white to me. I’m from Singapore and I just bought an L color diamond thanks to Pricescope. Got told off by a local jeweler that said “people will only buy F diamonds or your friends will laugh and compare!” This is total bullshit. It really depends on your circle of friends and anyway my friends would never make such rude/judgey comments. My other diamond is a super ideal G from JannPaul and it is terribly white IMO. Who can tell what’s G and H in all kinds of different lighting that your ring will be in, esp ballroom lighting (in case you think people are going to compare during wedding dinners). Even in natural lighting, I really want to bet with you that people won’t be able to tell it’s a H.

I have stared at all my friends’ rings and even people whom I don’t know but secretly admired on the MRT. THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME at that size (below 1.5 ct). Granted I can only tell size differences but in fluorescent lighting they all sparkle.

I know that right now you keep worrying about tint and other people making a chance remark about H (which seriously I doubt you can tell once set). Let your gf make the decision because a significant size jump is far far far more distinguishable than one color grade. Let me repeat to you that jewelers in Singapore are bullshit with trying to sell ONLY F color diamonds. Don’t get conned by them. The majority of my friends are utterly clueless about diamonds and color when in fluorescent lighting situations. That includes the ones who don’t care about diamonds and the ones who are more diamond crazy with 1-1.5ct diamonds. All we can really see is size differences when casually comparing diamonds in restaurants (fluorescent lighting again).

And you are right that the WF super ideal cut makes the diamond face up whiter. It’s very likely that nobody will ever be able to tell it’s H once it’s in a ring and that you’ll be super happy with the H (See the other guy who just bought a WF K with pictures), but again, I’d urge you to let your GF make the decision based on that picture. Visually, a size upgrade is more precious and valuable than a color upgrade. Ultimately it should be up to your gf as to whether or not she’s fine with the H in that picture since she’ll be the one staring at the ring most of the time.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When we were looking at diamonds I could have had a 2.3ish gsi1 or the 1.75 fvs1 we bought. I couldn't get past the yellow tint in the g color stone (ideal 3x). Some people just see it....and don't like it. Others don't see it, or don't care. As I always say....it's personal. It's a matter of what is right for you and your soon to be fiancé.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results