shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Pick - Idealscopes Inside

eternal1983

Rough_Rock
So I tried to do my homework and found a setting I believe my future fiance would like at James Allen. I had a gemologist review 3 diamonds all with HCA scores less than 2 and I received the following comments:

"As I am sure you expected after reviewing the images, the gemologist found all three diamonds to have very similar performance. They all possess an excellent amount of brilliance (white light return), with a great amount of fire (dispersion of color) and sparkle that is well balanced and symmetrical. They are all also true "H" colors, which means that they face up a nice, white color. She did say that the 0.92 carat-H-SI1 (diamond http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-204346) was her personal favorite because it faces up "eye clean". The two 0.91 carat-H-SI1 (diamonds http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-241470 and http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-245944) both have inclusions that are reflecting through the diamond and may be picked up by a keen eye (that means that if we were to show these diamonds to 10 people, 8 would see them as "eye clean" while two people may be able to pick up on the inclusions)."

The setting will be: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...ee-basket-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-1086 if it makes a difference.

What does Pricescope think? Seems to have the best idealscope performance, however, the inclusions seem very visible on the website images. Is this due to the magnification and type of inclusion? I trust the gemologist but am nervous about such a large purchase and would like some reassurance. (however foolish that may be)

204346.jpg

241470.jpg

245944.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Which one do you think has the best ideal scope? Because IMO, that'd be #3....It has the best numbers (IMO since I like smaller tables), and it faces up larger than the other stone (your 2nd one). I don't like large tables so I'd eliminate the first. The third one also looks pretty good as far as clarity so I wouldn't worry about that. JA also has a great return policy if you're not happy with it. Also, keep in mind that the video is pretty up close....so it won't look like that when you have it unless you hold it to your eye ball.

eternal1983

Rough_Rock
Sorry, meant the first one the gemologist recommended. 0.92 ct.

Thoughts on that one?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
The gemologist really said 0.92 ct diamond (204346) was the favorite because it was "eye clean"?? I'm not sure how they said it was more eye clean than the other two when it seems to have the most grievous inclusion of the three diamonds. In fact, I find it very hard to believe that after looking at diamond 245944, they thought about 20% of people would be able to see an inclusion without a loupe... but they didn't think 20% of people could pick out an inclusion from 204346.

This is the 3rd time recently that the GG has recommended exactly the opposite of what the PS community would have picked based on the available info. I know doing this from a computer is not the same as seeing the diamond in person, but still I'd think/hope there would be a much stronger correlation between what PS recommends and what a GG recommends.

FWIW, I would choose 245944 as well.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
eternal1983|1377477185|3509720 said:
Sorry, meant the first one the gemologist recommended. 0.92 ct.

Thoughts on that one?

Yeah, I told you in my previous post....

delight

Shiny_Rock
Just based on clarity alone, I will never pick diamond 1. For diamond 3, the majority of reflected inclusions can be hidden with proper prong placements.

eternal1983

Rough_Rock
Going into this my preference was for diamond 3 which I thought would be eye clean. Got thrown a curveball by the gemologist recommendation.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are not under a tight time crunch, and you are in the continental USA, then I'd see about them shipping the one you preferred and the one the GG suggested, out so you can see for yourself. (1 &3). They have a good return policy and it could be the mind clear reassurance you need. Sometimes just seeing IRL can be the tipping point for some.

That's if you are in the states, otherwise...I'm inclined to lean towards the bottom diamond 245944.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results