shape
carat
color
clarity

help me pick an aquamarine!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Patience! How exciting!! I looked at the mounting on the other thread...this ring is going to be SENSATIONAL!!!

I''m wondering....has Michael stated his preference? I trust his judgement so much I''d probably do what he told me to do..

I do have a thought...what kind of cut will the aqua have? It occurs to me that if it isn''t an emerald cut, and is a radiant or something, then maybe some inclusions wouldn''t be a big deal.

In general, I think the more saturated the color, the better, but for some reason I''m really drawn to the "glow" in the rough on the right....would that carry over to the finished gem?

Anyhoo, I''d probably end up doing what I was told.
1.gif

What fun!!!
widget

Patience

Rough_Rock
thanks! Michael recommended the one that says "use this one" because it''s loop clean. I think I''m ok with small inclusions if the color is better...but I''ve asked for more clarification on how small the inclusions are in the one I''m leaning towards.

We''ve decided on a radiant cut, if that helps!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee...I love an excuse to post pictures....

Here''s one of an aqua he did for me, with the original rough next to it to give you an idea of what it eventually looked like.

Interestingly, when choosing the rough, I don''t remember any discussion at all of clarity. I guess that means they were both clean.

widget

PS: BTW...this is what Michael called a "Barion Cut", or "modified radiant".

k8h4c08.jpg

Patience

Rough_Rock
ooo! I remember your ring now! That''s a gorgeous stone. You''re right, your options must have all been good clarity. I know Michael knows what he''s doing so I''m in good hands. I can''t believe I waited so long to do this!

widget

Ideal_Rock
You know, Patience...I've thought about it, and if it were me, I'd probably want him to send back all of those, and hold out for (and no doubt have to pay more for) the best color AND clarity. IMO that mounting deserves the very very best.

Of course, I'd be spending my money, not yours, and you know what your budget is. At least you could take comfort that it isn't a diamond! (refer to neighboring thread: "colored gem engagement rings") LOL

widget

Patience

Rough_Rock
I''ve thought about that too...he emailed me and thinks he can get an eye clean cut out of the one on the far right, so we''re going to take a shot out of it and see how it goes. I''ll keep you posted!

ger100

Shiny_Rock
According to Renee Newman, most natural Aquas are blue-green, but heated to take out the green element. She says that the darker the color, the most valueable the stone. BUT also, that they have high transparency and clarity even under magnification. JTV sends lots of pale blue Aquas in their parcels, with no inclusions, which to me means they''re cheap...consistent with what Newman says.

Personally, I''d want a medium blue, more like the stone either on the right or the "use this one." But I think I''d wait for one without inclusions...particularly since you''ve waited so long already. The word aquamarine means "sea water," according to Newman, so a nice sea water color would be my choice.
21.gif

JMHO
Ger

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the far right one, too. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results