shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me kick my sweet tooth!!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Please oh please oh please

I have a serious problem with feeling the need to have something sweet after every meal. Seriously, a meal doesn''t feel complete without dessert (breakfast excluded).

I have been writing down what I have been eating without making changes to my diet because I want to figure out all of my issues. One is that I eat way too late (I blame work but we have made it a rule not to have dinner passed 8pm). The other is that I eat way too much sweets.

Any tips? Are you a former sweet addict and how did you stop it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Fiery,
I feel your pain because I have the biggest sweet tooth ever!
39.gif

What is helpful for me is not to deny myself something sweet when I want it but to make it healthful. I love fruit so I eat many pieces of fruit a day. Plums, nectarines, pears, apples, etc. So though it has sugar it also has fiber and other good stuff.

Also, I just love ice cream and instead of depriving myself of this I make a healthy substitute. I eat tasti d lite which is a lower calorie ice treat. There are also low calorie, lower sugar ice cream bars and many other substitutes.

I am a big believer in not letting myself feel deprived because then you are setting yourself up for failure. Instead you can almost always find a healthier (lower sugar) substitute.

Best of luck!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't tell you how to stop it because I'm battling one that developed with the onset of Carlos and Bun taking up residency in my abdomen. All I want is sugar. I can't wait for the last jelly bean to exit the vicinity of my office. Of course now we're moving into Popsicle and ice cream season which is a whole new can of worms...mmmm gummy worms....

ETA: When I was dieting two years ago (lost 30 lbs!) I made a point to figure in an extra 150 calories/day for something sweet.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Missy-thanks for the tips on the healthier options! Icecream is a favorite for me too!

HH-I wonder if that means you''ll have a girl
2.gif
. That''s a good idea on planning 150 calories of "sweets" as a cushion. I''m joining WW so that''ll help me keep track of calories via the points system. Hopefully it works.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Duplicate post, sorry!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pleasure Fiery. I know what it''s like to be craving something and not wanting to give in to it.

Also what I do when I am craving something to eat (sweet or otherwise) is I pop some air popped popcorn (what a mouthful LOL- try saying that 10x fast) and add a topping like cinnammon (sort of sweet and yummy if you like cinnammon but if not just add something you do like). I used to like to add hot pepper but I cannot tolerate spicy foods now.
Air popped popcorn is a low calorie and healthy option for a snack.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am the same way. Instead of eating a slice of chocolate cake or ice cream, first I wait 20 minutes after I finish to get something sweet, often drinking (unsweetened) tea instead. It is hard at first, but most of the time the craving goes away. When it doesn''t, I eat 2 squares of 85% cacao chocolate bar. It is just sweet enough to satisfy, it is expensive so I am not tempted to take more, I love it so I don''t feel like I am missing anything and it is a lot healthier than anything else I wanted to put into my mouth.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you maybe just have a little bit and be satisfied w/that? Ever since getting pg w/London years ago, I''ve had a HUGE sweet tooth (and the cavities that come along w/it) and now it''s moved onto chocolate coffee drinks. I''ve heard tell of some weird and mythical people *cough cough* that can eat a little sweet stuff and be ok with it..I am not one of those people, so I shall lend you support in your sweetness addiction! I would be the one to cut a slice of cake, set it aside, and then take the rest of the cake.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Fiery! I have a big sweet tooth too, so I know not to deprive myself totally or I''ll eat other stuff to try to stop the cravings. I always have mints or gum around to chew on and get that little hint of sweet. Then if I''m really just needing to eat something sweet, I have 100 calorie packs of chocolate covered pretzels (yummm) or Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. I allow myself one of those treats per day and then if I''m still craving sweets, I have fruit. I also try to brush my teeth really soon after dinner so I''m not tempted to snack. Hope this helps a little!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a major sweet tooth as well. I eat 1 serving of slow churned ice cream after dinner; it is anywhere between 100 t0 150 calories depending on the flavor. I feel like I''ve had a real treat eating that. I find I can handle eating just a small piece of chocolate too but I had to cut it out first then add it back in when I felt like I can handle it. A mini 3 musketeers is 25 calories, a Andes chocolate mint is 25 calories and I break up a Lindt chocolate bar in small enough pieces they are about 30 calories each. Fruit definitely can satisfy a sweet tooth. Another thing I will do is eat a dill pickle. It is very opposite to something sweet but has such a different flavor you wouldn''t want to eat something sweet with it.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I too, have a major sweet tooth. I know what I can resist and what I can''t. I just stick to moderation when it comes to the sweets I just can''t live without.
3.gif

You can try flavored water or hard candy if you are really having a craving. But, if I really want something, I''ll eat it!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
To go against the grain here, I have learned that I am all or nothing. The only way to KICK my sweet tooth was to quit sweets. Awhile back I had to go on an allergy diet, and could have no sugar (processed) or dairy, etc. After about a month of eating like that I didn''t care so much about desserts, I lost that "need". It was wonderful! Lasted a long time, too, until just recently
7.gif
so I think I am going to try to cut them out again. Although, to be fair, there is processed sugar in EVERYTHING so maybe that helped cut my cravings too. GL!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I could never cut out sweets altogether. I have one a day usually after lunch or dinner. However, I find that when I am religious with taking a probiotic my cravings for sweets are reduced dramatically. Probably has something to do with the amount of yeast in the digestive tract. I also think that healthy fats like fish oil, flax oil, and hemp seeds also help with cravings.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery, I have the exact same problem! I''m usually ok during the day but after dinner I get really stong cravings for something sweet, and that''s the worst time of day to be eating sugary, high-calorie stuff. It''s a real problem for me and I have no great words of wisdom. There are some nights I can make it through without sweets, but it varies. It doesn''t help that by the end of the day I''m tired and have absolutely no will power. My husband buys these protein bars that are pretty sweet, and I rationalize that they''re a little better for me because of the protein. They do sometimes satisfy my cravings, and they''re about 200 calories, which isn''t too bad. I also buy those blue bunny ice cream sandwiches, they are about 140 calories. The only problem with them is that I find myself eating 2 of them!! Ugh, I will never lose these 10 pounds.

I should probably just not have any sweets in the house. One time when I tried that I wound up eating old chocolate chips I found in the back of a cabinet. I have a real problem, I tell ya!!!

Sorry I''m not too helpful, just wanted to let you know you''re not alone!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2010 9:40:22 PM
Author: junebug17

I should probably just not have any sweets in the house. One time when I tried that I wound up eating old chocolate chips I found in the back of a cabinet. I have a real problem, I tell ya!!!

I''ve been guilty of similar things
3.gif
38.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
fiery, I totally am with you on this--I love having something sweet after a meal...and you''ve gotten great advice on here, much of which I try to do too...

one thing that I like to do is have 1/4 cup (like, a scoop) of ricotta with 1/2 tablespoon (or more) of raw honey...the ricotta has protein and some fat, which tends to fill me up a little more than just plain sugar, and the raw honey has plenty of health benefits too--so I don''t feel nearly as guilty as if I eat something crappy.

I also sometimes just drink a nutritional shake (I swear I don''t work for these people, but I am somewhat obsessed with this product--it tastes so good sweet shake

(I like the coffee flavor, but that has a little caffeine in it, so I wouldn''t recommend it for right before bedtime)

Good luck, and like other people say--the best way to make sure you''re not eating sweets that are bad for you is to not have them in your home!!! (btw, your little one is SO DARN CUTE! every time I see her smiling face, I smile too!)

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 7:25:01 AM
Author: Miscka
To go against the grain here, I have learned that I am all or nothing. The only way to KICK my sweet tooth was to quit sweets. Awhile back I had to go on an allergy diet, and could have no sugar (processed) or dairy, etc. After about a month of eating like that I didn''t care so much about desserts, I lost that ''need''. It was wonderful! Lasted a long time, too, until just recently
7.gif
so I think I am going to try to cut them out again. Although, to be fair, there is processed sugar in EVERYTHING so maybe that helped cut my cravings too. GL!

I am the same way. If I have one piece of chocolate I CRAVE it for what feels like weeks. However, if I just plain cut it out of my diet, I find I don''t have that NEED for chocolate.

I keep organic dried fruit around to help with the desire for something sweet. It''s not the best thing in the world, and is still high in calories, but it could definitely be worse! Plus, it doesn''t give me the sugar rush that processed candy does.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2010 10:30:22 PM
Author: jsm
Date: 4/13/2010 7:25:01 AM

Author: Miscka

To go against the grain here, I have learned that I am all or nothing. The only way to KICK my sweet tooth was to quit sweets. Awhile back I had to go on an allergy diet, and could have no sugar (processed) or dairy, etc. After about a month of eating like that I didn''t care so much about desserts, I lost that ''need''. It was wonderful! Lasted a long time, too, until just recently
7.gif

I am the same way. If I have one piece of chocolate I CRAVE it for what feels like weeks. However, if I just plain cut it out of my diet, I find I don''t have that NEED for chocolate.

I keep organic dried fruit around to help with the desire for something sweet. It''s not the best thing in the world, and is still high in calories, but it could definitely be worse! Plus, it doesn''t give me the sugar rush that processed candy does.

I agree with this approach. I used to eat a ton of sugar, knowingly and unknowingly, until the resulting mental and physical (energy) highs and lows lead me to research information about hypoglycemia. After learning a lot about food and the hypoglycemic index, I completely changed my diet. Per instructions in one of the books, I removed all sugar from my diet for three weeks. This consisted of getting rid of a lot of food in my kitchen (ex., including seemingly innocuous bread & butter pickles and commercial peanut butter) and restocking with healthier alternatives (dills and pure nut butters), and making more educated decisions when eating out. I started using cinnamon as a sweetener and used lots of garlic, onions and spices to flavor food. At first, it was kind of hard because I craved certain foods, but not so hard because I immediately felt better. Benefits included better quality sleep, and more and consistent energy during the day. Also, much to my surprise and pleasure, the dark circles under my eyes faded! By the end of three weeks, my palate changed so I wasn''t really having cravings. In addition, a lot of foods I used to like seemed to be too sweet, or just a little had become enough to satisfy. Also, if I''m craving sugar, I realize that my my blood sugar is probably low and my body really needs protein, so I''ll have some protein before going for sweets. Cinnamon is good on a lot of things, and reach for fruit before you go for the chocolate bar!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I don''t suppose you smoke, do you?

I found an interesting side effect of quitting smoking using nicotine gum was that I didn''t want sweet things any more. I still keep a pack of the gum handy, not so much because I want to smoke, but because sometimes I want to eat my own bodyweight in cake and chocolate.

My friend buys chocolate / candy bars of his choice then cuts them into small pieces (standard size bar cuts into 3 nicely). He puts them in the freezer, and takes one piece out before he goes to bed - that way, he gets a little sugar-fix the next day, but it''s much harder to go overboard, because you can''t defrost chocolate in the microwave!

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I love my sweets...adore them actually. I''ve cut it down by having a small piece of dark chocolate or sugar free jello. I also sometimes do greek yogurt with some splenda to help me get that sweetness that I crave, or any of the super delicious dessert flavored yogurts. There are these new decadence yogurts that are creme caramel or chocolate mousse with raspberry and they serve as excellent desserts. I also sometimes get Skinny Cow ice creams.

I blame my mom...growing up we always had 2 cookies after dinner, so now there''s something in my head that tells me dinner isn''t done until I have something sweet. Hahaha..

Cj

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
Frozen fruit has to be kept in my freezer at all times for when I have a craving. I especially like frozen dark sweet cherries and frozen blueberries. I find it satiates that desire most of the time. But I think what you really need to do is make sure you have some protein each morning. I eat eggs almost every morning and my health profile is great (low blood pressure, good blood profile, healthy weight, etc.). But if you''re worried you can remove some or all of the yolks. Here''s my usual pattern of attack for when I have a craving:

1. Drink water to rule out dehydration
2. Think of any situations that may be contributing, like boredom, and address them.
3. In the case of hunger, I try to eat a quick snack that has protein like a small handful of raw almonds
4. If I''m still craving, I eat the frozen fruit.
5. If I''m still craving what I originally wanted, this is the point where I truly start to consider it, but I''m usually sated. If I don''t want to give in I often call a friend or go outside. I think I''ve only gotten to this point two times.

I have not eaten anything sweet or like a treat (besides a teaspoon of agave nectar in my tea) in over 2 weeks. I used to be a chronic sugar junkie. I had a wake up call when I fainted a few times and knocked my head from low blood sugar resulting from too many sweets on an empty stomach. You can do it!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery, I feel your pain. I have been doing low carb now for 1 month, I am down almost 15 lbs! But the worst thing is the sweets, I am addicted. I hate to use artificial sweetners but I have gotten through this with sugar free jello and a spoonfull of whip topping or chrystal light frozen to make popsicles, as others have stated I often just need a glass of water, if that just won''t cut it I will eat a small bowl of high fiber cereal with skim milk or if your trying for low carb soy milk. I always read the box and check serving sizes. I found in the past my usual serving size was 2 to 3 times what the box says. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results