shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me! I want a plaid wedding dress, but WHERE?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream wedding is something along the lines of a "Royal Tenenbaum" theme

I want a plaid wedding dress. but not a red one, But a soft two tone off white one. I am only in the initial stages of searching but so far I have only found one I like, but I cant find ANY placce to buy it, even an online vendor let alone a store.
Any help woud be appreciated :wavey:
This dress or something similar

ETA: They say its a "diane lewis"

6262886951335867_kxa8q1ct_c.jpg

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered finding a dressmaker and having something made?

I found a designer dress I really loved that was about 10 times my budget; I had a dressmaker make a replica for me. It was very reasonably priced and I was very happy with the end result. It's a bit like custom jewelry- find a maker that you click with and who is ok with whatever level of involvement you want in the process! Mine was very cavalier- I left a picture and came back 8 weeks later for a fitting. In the end, there were a few details that I wish had been different (like how the lining was put together), but it looks exactly like I wanted it to, expecially in the pictures, and it fit really well.

LOVE the idea, good luck and let us know what you find!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had not thought of having one made. I assumed that would be way out of my budget. Thanks for the idea!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
How cool! I agree that custom will be the way to go. Good luck!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think going the seamstress route will be the better way. I made my own wedding dress (granted, it was 1985 and patterns/styles weren't as vast back then) but you can flip thru any of the pattern books in your local sewing store and purchase a pattern (or two). MEet with the seamstress, show her the components you like about the dress(es) and she can modify accordingly. I would source out a few people and ask to see samples of their work. You have to really click with someone and know that their workmanship/skills will be up to your standards.

It really is like custom jewelry (good point!) and this does allow you to select the exact fabric and design features that are perfect for you. Sounds like fun!! I keep telling my DD that I'd love to sew her wedding dress for her, but she doesn't think a 'home made' dress would ever be as perfect as a 'bought' one - HA!! so wrong!! ... but she's only 19 so I figure I've got a few years to work on it.... ;))

Good luck Nielseel and I love your inspiration dress - it would be stunning and so fresh and unique!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, i wonder how far away I would have to go to get a good seamstress. im not even sure there is one in my area. Id probably have to go to chicago or detroit. I am not against the idea at all if itll fit in my budget. i always just assumed they only made like less structured gowns, link a slip dress and such, not a very structured gown.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
you could also try a tailor who specializes in women's clothing, as well.

Could you google or use the yellow pages for your city/area? Is there a bridal shop that you could connect with their seamstress? (or would they freak out at that notion?) Know anyone who has used a seamstress/dressmaker before? What about local dry cleaners - GOOD ONES - who have a seamstress on site? They may not be "the one" but they may have a connection or resource to find you someone... same with calling a drapery workroom. Not suggesting you are creating drapes here!! But it could be another resource as they may know of others in the business who would be suitable.

Keep us posted!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good advise! Ill try that. Would a wedding dress show (one that has a large selection) maybe have a seamstress/taylor/dressmaker they work with? I wish getting a dress was as easy as a ring...."i like this shank in this gold with this fancy cut and these side stones"...a million different jewelers could do that pretty easily. Wish dresses we like that. :roll:

Im glad you guys think its a cute idea (even if youre humoring me haha) I posted on a wedding forum about it everyone was a little "meh" about it, and they kept linking me weird junior short dresses in colors I obviously was trying to avoid.

like this :nono:

blah.png

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
um...no to that dark tartan short dress!! I think your inspirational fabric in the original pic was perfect! Another advantage to at least contacting a drapery workroom, is they could get you designer silk that is 54" wide that could be used for the dress. I have several books that I use regularly when doing my decor business, and there are a few with gorgeous silk plaids in them - along the lines of what you were first mentioning - soft creams/whites/golds - that might be perfect!

This sounds like a fun project! I can totally see this panning out for you!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1353863517|3315083 said:
um...no to that dark tartan short dress!! I think your inspirational fabric in the original pic was perfect! Another advantage to at least contacting a drapery workroom, is they could get you designer silk that is 54" wide that could be used for the dress. I have several books that I use regularly when doing my decor business, and there are a few with gorgeous silk plaids in them - along the lines of what you were first mentioning - soft creams/whites/golds - that might be perfect!

This sounds like a fun project! I can totally see this panning out for you!!!

Right! Clearly this forum has better taste than some others. But I've known that for some time haha

Yeah it'll be fun and good to get my mind on a new project. I'm still in " look for jewelry" mode. Which is an expensive endeavor. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep you posted.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi has given you some great advice! I have nothing else to add, but just wanted to say that your idea is so cool and I can't wait to see what you're able to come up with!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The knot local boards are a good resource for finding local seamstresses. Honestly, the fabric is going to cost you quite a bit though.

How about just a lovely dress with a nice plaid sash? Or plaid details. The best way to do it would be to get a really nice simple dress, and have a seamstress add the plaid details to it to dress it up. Something like this: http://watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/9031B or this http://watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/7031B

And add some tafetta plaid fabric at the hem and sash for example.

What is your budget?

Here's some fabric...

http://www.fabricguru.com/p-robert-allen/plaid-taffeta-decorator-fabric-cornsilk It says upholstery but it's tafetta so it might work for clothing too.

Also look up 'silk gingham' if you want tone on tone white/champagne.

This would be gorgeous: http://www.nyfashioncenterfabrics.com/silk-10232.html

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy. I still want it. I think wedding dresses are tricky. I can find 2 pink wedding dresses one can be flattering and one unflattering. So I think it's really the cut and quality of the dress and fabric. Not just the idea. You are right though that dress is unflattering. I really don't want a "pop" of plaid. If I had to I'd go to polka dot or a stripe, if plaid does get too expensive. There's a nice wedding dressmaker in my area my mother found, we are making an appointment this week to see what she can do.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
My dress was not structured, nor did it use a lot of fabric, but I had the whole thing done for under $1,000. Well under. It will depend, greatly, on the fabric and the complexity of the dress.

If you still need to try and find someone after your appointment, try contacting some costumers (local university theater departments, and such) or re-enactor groups. They are very familiar with structured fabrication and their work is often heirloom quality. Many of them design/sew privately on the side and they will also have access to lots of fabric resources.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Diane Lewis dress is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess she's out of Australia. What about buying the fabric and taking the picture to a dress maker.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Celtic Croft in MN makes tarten wedding gowns. Also m- you might consider a simple, beautiful gown with a plaid belt (long down the back, maybe with a big bow) or a plaid bolero.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I would also suggest talking to dressmakers. I would also try to source fabric, as it may give you some idea of $$?

I mostly replied to say I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!! I really hope you post more of your wedding plans, I just love the RT idea! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chewbacca|1354151064|3317878 said:
I would also suggest talking to dressmakers. I would also try to source fabric, as it may give you some idea of $$?

I mostly replied to say I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!! I really hope you post more of your wedding plans, I just love the RT idea! :appl:

thank you! I have a few ideas so far. my FI and his party Im pretty sure are going to wear a dark khaki pants wuth a navy blazer with a crest type thing on the brest pocket. Probably with some maroon striped ties.... thats my deam :lol:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think finding suitable cloth would be the hardest/expensive part.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
How's the hunt coming along, Nielseel? Any updates? Weren't you meeting with a dressmaker this past week?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1354474087|3320618 said:
How's the hunt coming along, Nielseel? Any updates? Weren't you meeting with a dressmaker this past week?

Well heres the update....
I went dress shopping to try on shapes, I figured I had to make sure what looked good on me before having someone make one.
The place didnt really have anything like i requested, but they had a few in that shape that had polka dots or stripes. but they all looked so terrible on me :knockout: :knockout:
and I was so sure that shape would look good on my body type, so I was so discouraged. They didnt have any textiles I liked and I looked bad in everything I was try on.
My sister really wanted me to try on one of those mermaid ones, though I was sure I couldnt pull if off, really few people can pull those off. But it turned out it actually looked ok! So we decided we liked that shape but then of course that ruled out making one in that and plaid. that would have looked like that one gypsy posted :nono: So I was discouraged and was about to leave an I happened to see one that was in one of the other ladies dressing rooms. I told them I wanted to try on a striped one and for some reason they didnt show me this one, so thank goodness I spotted it. Its one of those detachable ones but it was a trunk show and the designer was there and I asked if they could make it NOT detach. her response was "well you might want to wear it on your 1st anniversary, you never know" my response was " oh i know " haha

Also, there was one area that they didnt add a stripe and it looked weird, so Im having them add a stripe to it, so it looks MORE like a striped dress.

After that it was a matter of colors. We looked at adding color to the stripes or the under fabric. But I thought that would cheapen it so its going to be plain. Ill probably add some pearls or something, i cant decide.

im sad I have to let the plaid go, but if it couldnt have that ballgown type shape, it really wouldnt look good. I want quirky, not gauldy :roll:

img_3280.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was hard to let go, but I really like this, and stripes was my second choice. You can see where we are adding another stripe.
I dont know why they didnt show me this when I said i wanted to look at striped. Maybe they didnt consider it stripes sense its its an effect done with 2 fabrics. Who knows.

img_3279.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
so this is your dress???? ITS TDF STUNNING!!! I love it!!! if that is you - you look AMAZING AND AWESOME AND SEXY all rolled up into one!!

OH, I love this!! Maybe the plaid had to go, but if stripes were on the agenda - what a truly incredible find!! It is beautiful! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1354483410|3320722 said:
so this is your dress???? ITS TDF STUNNING!!! I love it!!! if that is you - you look AMAZING AND AWESOME AND SEXY all rolled up into one!!

OH, I love this!! Maybe the plaid had to go, but if stripes were on the agenda - what a truly incredible find!! It is beautiful! :appl: :appl: :appl:

That is me. Thank you! I'm a little sad to let go of the plaid but when I tried on those ballgowns I didn't look sweet I looks rediculous haha. Maybe it's my height or something but it was terrible. The tropes I think are still pretty whimsical though so it was a good find. Plus my ma was worried that I'd hate something custom and then by the time I saw it it would be too late. Which makes sense when I remember the first ring I tried to have custom made.
I'm pretty happy about it!
Funny how you assume you'll look great in one thing and terrible in another and then it turns out to be the other way around.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg you look fantastic in that dress!! I love it, it looks like it was made for you! Perfect!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1354487681|3320767 said:
Omg you look fantastic in that dress!! I love it, it looks like it was made for you! Perfect!
Thank you junebug. You and Enerchi are always such sweethearts!!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look incredible in your striped dress!!! I loved the plaid idea, but this dress is perfect on you!! Wear it in good health!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1354503852|3321002 said:
You look incredible in your striped dress!!! I loved the plaid idea, but this dress is perfect on you!! Wear it in good health!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thanks. I loved my plaid idea too. I glad you gals understood my vision! Everyone else I told looked at me like I was a loon! Oh well. Some great ideas are just meant to stay ideas I guess.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look fabulous in that dress! I really liked your plaid idea, but this looks great.

What do you mean by detaching the dress? Does the bottom come of so it becomes cocktail length? If so, that would be awesome to wear on your first anniversary as the salesperson suggested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results