shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find my dream engagement ring for $7000-$9000

Newly_Engaged_Gal

Rough_Rock
My wonderful boyfriend proposed last month on a trip to Europe. I said yes! yes! yes! He used a placeholder ring to propose, so we could pick something out together. I was delighted to stumble upon the Pricescope community. I was hoping to borrow your expertise!

Style:

I'd describe my overall style as minimalist, classic yet unique, sometimes art deco. I've been leaning towards simple solitaires or solitaires with 3 or 5 stones (no halos, milgrain, or pavé).

• https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/_6492.jpg
    I think this ring is gorgeous, timeless and classy. I like that the front is all diamond with no visible metal as I prefer a platinum setting but wear yellow gold as my everyday jewelry. Though the round brilliant cut may be too sparkly/flashy for my minimalist style.

• http://www.kingofjewelry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/032813-elle-macpherson-ring-623.jpg I LOVE Elle Macpherson's engagement ring, though I've read it's necessary in emerald cuts to buy D-G Fl-VS2? I'm weary of the size we could afford in those parameters and how dwarfed a smaller stone would look on my longer ring finger. Would this stone work? https://www.idonowidont.com/user/login?destination=node/502971

• I've also been drawn to Leon Merge's setting style.

Size:

I have long slim fingers, my ring size is 5.25.

Budget:

$7000-$9000 USD (if necessary, up to $10,000 USD).

I am open to new, estate or previously owned (idonowidont, rubylane, etc), whatever is the best value for our money (beer budget, champaign taste). Additionally, we live in Portland, Oregon where talented artists (and zero sales tax - yay!) abound, so if more price effective, buying a loose stone and custom making a setting is a reasonable option.

Question:

Any setting suggestions? Links or knowledge of a beautiful ring or stone at a good price? I've found a wonderful guy now I'm in need of a wonderful ring. Your help is SO SO SO appreciated! Thank you!

Essovius

Rough_Rock
I'm not equipped to answer your questions, but wanted to say hello from Eugene! And congratulations on the engagement!

Newly_Engaged_Gal

Rough_Rock
Essovius|1476918273|4088760 said:
I'm not equipped to answer your questions, but wanted to say hello from Eugene! And congratulations on the engagement!

Neither am I, Essovius ;-)... Greetings and many thanks!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! :wavey: Bumping this for the emerald experts (Gypsy, etc.)...

I would first narrow down what you definitely want. I can't see the ring in your link, but emeralds are tricky to buy sight unseen, so once you know for sure, the people here can help you pick out 1, 3 or 5 really nice emeralds within your budget. As for color and clarity, those are purely preference. If you go to I or J in a larger emerald, it will probably show a tint in some lighting, but whether that's okay with you (or preferable, even) is entirely up to you. WIth clarity, you'll generally want to stick to a VS2 or higher because of the larger facets.

Happy hunting!

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
Hello and congrats,

I would recommend seeing some stones and shapes and colors of diamonds in person first. Are you sure you're okay with a J color? How much coverage do you want? Those are questions that only seeing something in person can you decide.

It's one thing to love something you see online and know it's not for you in "real life" when you see it. I absolutely loved the I color of many of the poster, but it wasn't right for me. I love the classic elegance of emerald cuts, but again it's not for me. You're be surprised at how many people change their mind on shapes, clarity, colors, etc.

Since you're the one who is on the receiving end, you get to decide on the time and the diamond would be spectacular cause you have a say in the outcome. :D Cheers!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Hello and congratulations on the engagement!

I think you need to narrow down your parameters somewhat before anyone can concretely help you. It seems you are torn between a step cut and a RB. Some points to consider:

1. ECs show up small for their weight (smaller than RBs at any rate). You may be able to get a 1 carat in your budget, but this will be a challenge. Further, beautifully cut EC stones are challenging (but fun!) to find. They also show colour more than RBs. How colour sensitive are you?
2. That RB with tapered baguettes is stunning, and BIG (I think this is 2 carats, if I remember correctly). FWIW If I were you I'd go with this style to maximize your budget. You won't be able to afford Leon M. for sure, but a well-made setting with a c.1 carat stone is probably possible in this style.

Good luck!! :wavey:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to put a little bit of a different spin on it -- whatever shape you go with, you need to look at a few (or a lot!) of GIA-graded diamonds to get a feel for YOUR personal color & clarity tolerances. Generally, I'd imagine -- when finger coverage is a goal! -- you want go as low in clarity & color as you comfortably can, while maintaining excellent cut quality whatever the shape.

Just to show you an example (I recently went on an emerald hunt, though much smaller than yours will be!):
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.92-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-684373 -- what I'd think is a "soft call" VS2... more like an SI1! But I don't notice the inclusion at all in person, while it's very obvious in the (highly magnified) video. I can find it if I look for it, though, which makes me think it's not a very good VS2! Unset, in 4 or 5 lighting environments, and not next to whiter diamonds I also don't notice the color in this diamond.

A "better" VS2, where I can't find the inclusion in person with a loupe: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.90-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1847940 (is it that smudgey little cloud thing in the video? Probably, although the cert says "feather"...)

BUT: I don't consider myself "clarity-sensitive" (i.e., inclusions don't really bug me as long as they aren't TOO obvious) or "color-sensitive" (i.e., diamond tint also doesn't bother me -- I have a 5-stone OEC ring with estimated colors ranging from DEF through K/L and really couldn't care less).

Many people have more stringent requirements for a Very Important Ring, like an engagement ring, compared to "fun" rings. And determining for yourself which clarity category you want -- "can't find it even with a loupe" versus "can find it if I look for it, but rarely notice" versus "yeah, I see that inclusion when I look down at my hand" -- and which color category you want -- "looks white to me 100% of the time, no matter what I put next to it" versus "if it's next to some DEF diamonds, yeah, I see it's sort of off-white but that's OK" versus "vanilla is my favorite flavor!" -- is going to be your next step.

The easiest way to do this is to see a bunch of GIA-graded diamonds in person. Stick to GIA, because they have the best balance of availability (i.e., most jewelers have at least some GIA-graded stones) and consistency (GIA is more trustworthy than many labs out there).

P.S: If you have lax clarity & color requirements like me, you might well make it to 1.8-2ct with an emerald. ;-) Remember that EXCELLENT CUTTING is absolutely key -- that's what gives your diamond its sparkle, not the color or (most of the time) the clarity, and it can mask a tint from lower color, especially in a cut with really excellent light return like a round brilliant!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you're into asscher cuts, I actually like them more than emerald cut. Leon showed me a simple, beautiful asscher ring when I was there this summer. I can't remember the price though, sorry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results