shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a thread...and general question about patina or oxidation

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It was quite some time ago, but hopefully it jogs someone's memory. A PSer had a piece of jewelry and was trying to decide whether or not to leave the patina or oxidation or something on, or whether to have it buffed off. Does anyone recall this thread (gosh maybe it was even just a comment) or who it may have been?

I wanted to see it because I am considering having DK engrave a plain band for me, and I don't quite know the term that would be used for a band has that blackened look to it, much like the band that @CHRISTY-DANIELLE got recently. Which I also cannot find btw. I want to make sure to use the right terminology. So @CHRISTY-DANIELLE if you can post a pic of that band that would be helpful! Gah!

Someone help - I am braindead.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it an engraved ring, on the specific thread you were looking to find?

I can think of a couple people who have talked here about removing their patina a bit, or all, or leaving it -
@elizat @Cerulean @Slickk are the ones that comes to mind

as for what terms to use for what you want
I’d suggest using pictures for the results you want, and also including pictures that show results you definitely do not want. Sometimes terminology that should be pretty straightforward…… fails

is this the wide band you have? Sounds like it will be gorgeous. Can’t wait to see it. :)

edit to add
yeah yowzers
that band @CHRISTY-DANIELLE has….what a find….it’s gorgeous.
I second the request to see more pictures. :love:

edit #2
maybe finding out from your vendor the differences between oxidizing vs adding patina vs black/grey rhodium would be ideal tho. Maybe some are more permanent than others and I think some are not appropriate for some metals. I had a ring that the vendor tried a method on a metal it wasn’t appropriate for and they were flummoxed as to why they were getting the weird looking results but super ready to ship it to me and not question it. Sometimes it’s fun being a Guinea pig on someone else’s learning curve- sometimes not when you don’t know it in advance.

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader no problem! I'll add a pic here. Not sure what you are hoping to do, but if you just want details of engraving to stand out you ask for "antiqing". DK did a really cool one not long ago. I'll have to look for it.
20220721_112142.jpg
Edit to add the DK example:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-220627_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-220627_Instagram.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader I’m not sure if it is me you’re thinking of and thanks for the tag @Rfisher.
I had a collet set avc that the collet was oxidized but I wasn’t a real fan of it (on that piece). I tried to remove it myself with a sunshine cloth but sent it back to dk instead to do. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader I’m not sure if it is me you’re thinking of and thanks for the tag @Rfisher.
I had a collet set avc that the collet was oxidized but I wasn’t a real fan of it (on that piece). I tried to remove it myself with a sunshine cloth but sent it back to dk instead to do. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yes! That was it! I couldn’t find it bc the term you used was “antiquing” and I was searching “patina” “oxidation” etc. . Thank you! And thanks @Rfisher :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader no problem! I'll add a pic here. Not sure what you are hoping to do, but if you just want details of engraving to stand out you ask for "antiqing". DK did a really cool one not long ago. I'll have to look for it.
20220721_112142.jpg
Edit to add the DK example:

Yes perfect the gold middle band is exactly the look I’m going for. Thank you for showing me the DK white metal example too. Excellent! I love that gold band - let’s see more pics!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I removed some antiquing with a sunshine cloth. It was the ruby Gilda ring Sako made. The antiquing was needed, but it was a bit too stark. So, I worked on it off and on with a sunshine cloth until it was "softer" looking and then left it alone. I still wanted the look, but not as stark.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I removed some antiquing with a sunshine cloth. It was the ruby Gilda ring Sako made. The antiquing was needed, but it was a bit too stark. So, I worked on it off and on with a sunshine cloth until it was "softer" looking and then left it alone. I still wanted the look, but not as stark.

@elizat is there something different or special about the sunshine cloth and a regular polishing cloth?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunshine cloths are abrasive (as well as removing tarnish). There are different colors with differing degrees of abrasiveness, ranging from blue (Sunshine Soft Cloth) which is the least abrasive, yellow (the original Sunshine Cloth), and pink (Sunshine Satin Cloth), which is the most abrasive.

I use the blue cloth to buff up my rings, and the yellow one if I've let it go too long. My husband says he has, on occasion, used the pink cloth on his rings, if they had a deeper scratch.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite (I think?) had one about patina on plain high-karat gold bands, IIRC

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results