shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me finalize my Blue Nile Engagement Ring

nowi

Rough_Rock
Hi
qjiCMwo0e6zHy40W-DPFSMqLmM9KlNCp_C1UC-F8rhXcwORSfgLyE0k7LnpOru_-hpkR6KcLfDWLhu3WOu4cduJyhzZQcMGHfHFhwY4lU1QmcyCd_AUcrNAkPmh8pbSlLs330iLX

long story short me and my partner have been together for a long time and are pretty open with discussing our upcoming engagement at the end of the year and the ring (the only thing that's really going to be a surprise is when he proposes haha).

So I have been looking at the rings on the website and have narrowed it down to a round diamond, preferably 1.5 carats in the Nouveau Knife Edge setting.

Here is the Diamond I am interested in. I looked at youtube videos which suggested to sacrifice clarity and color which is what I tried to do, Should I lower them further to try get the Astor Ideal Cut?

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.32.52 am.jpg

I really don't know much about rings other than I want one with a lot of sparkle and that I was rather underwhelmed by the rings at my local jeweller. I guess I just wanted to ask people with more experience with e-rings on their opinion on the diamond im interested in, white gold vs platinum and fluorescence. The diamond I am looking at has strong fluorescence I was wondering if anyone had a similar diamond and if it bothered them? I'm pretty visual so pictures of rings with fluorescence or similar specs would help me out alot

Thanks in advance I am totally overwhelmed with the whole process.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the crown and pavilion angles? And the table and depth % too (the screen shot is a little hard to read).

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here the cert.
upload_2018-3-29_7-16-50.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would be a hard no. The angles are uncomplimentary, the stone is a steep deep meaning the stone was cut to retain weight at the cost of performance. Pass on this stone. Really.

I just arrived at work, but I'll look in a few hours unless another PS member has time before.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0B1E6D65-8433-4727-AB6C-FEE8E6AC790F.png I think this is it. @nowi the angles on this one are outside the ones recommended. Stick to GIA XXX and put the following into the Blue Nile search facility,

Depth 60-62.3
Table 54-58
Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9

That will get you started with some good possibilities! You can drop to G VS2 anyway and have a white, eye clean stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that's a classic steep deep and even going from the photo, there's no way of saving it really. I'd definitely consider G - H VS2 or SI1 clarity if verified eyeclean and maximise the cut, the Astors look very good indeed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0B1E6D65-8433-4727-AB6C-FEE8E6AC790F.png I think this is it. @nowi the angles on this one are outside the ones recommended. Stick to GIA XXX and put the following into the Blue Nile search facility,

Depth 60-62.3
Table 54-58
Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9

That will get you started with some good possibilities! You can drop to G VS2 anyway and have a white, eye clean stone.

That's a great help, thanks Snowdrop.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I looked at your choice, it was a high color diamond around $12600 USD. I focused on G and above, but posted some nice H colors as well (I happen to like H colors, personally). BN does not offer ASET or IS for round diamonds, so I kept these within very safe ranges. There stock also tends to wide tables and 60/60 style diamonds. The setting you like is basically a tiffany replica and BN is not the only source, so I've also provided some other options. From JA, put your top 3 on hold and request an IS (idealscope) image.

Options from Blue-Nile.

1-https://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD10092686?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab {strong blue flour, so BN gemologist must clear this for any impact--Very rare, but worth asking with strong blue; 1.6 VS1 G; 7.48 mm}

2-https://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD10032547?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab {additional clouds in the comments. Unlikely to be an issue on a VS2, but they need to be checked by BN gemologist; 1.51 VS2 F; 7.3 mm}

3-https://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD10030081?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab {GREAT numbers, nice smaller table; don't freak about the black in the images, it is just reflection of the camera. 1.43 VS2 F; 7.19 mm}

Of these, I'd personally choose #1, #3 then #2. If the clouds don't raise any issues, then #1, 2, 3 in that order (which happens to be size order).

Other Vendors
4-https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.38-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4628177 {beautiful with great numbers; tiny cloud on table buy a non-issue with a VVS. Still want to see an IS image, but I like this a lot}

5-https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.66-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4632202 {H color, but larger than your choice with good number. CA is higher than the range noted above, but well-balanced by the PA. Lovely chubby arrows}

6-https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3947713.htm {super-ideal, lovely diamond. H color to get size. WF has a better trade-up policy than JA or BN; 1.443 H VS2}

If all the vendors are in the mix, I'd go with #1 (flour checked), 5, 6, 2 (clouds checked) on my top list. If you think you might like to upgrade in the future, then I'd weigh Whiteflash and HighPerformance Diamonds heavily as they offer much better trade-up. Sometimes Wink@HPD can find eye-clean SI2s, which offer a great value (you'd have to contact him directly).

Just found another....
7-https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09794945?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab {1.6 H SI1, very clean stone. Good numbers if you don't mind a wider table that will return more white light than fire}

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you stick with the search parameters above, you don’t need an Astor ideal. I just picked up some studs from BN with fantastic angles and not Astor ideal and thus I bought them at a very attractive price.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you want to sacrifice color and clarity you don't seem to have sacrificed much since you're still at F and VS1. Many PSers go down to I or J and VS2 or SI1 in order to get better cut or size.

nowi

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for all your help :D and @rockysalamander for going to the trouble of selecting stones, I do really like #1, 5 & 6 hopefully those are around at the end of the year when we buy.

looks like I will now need to ask for those additional details and to make a decision on white gold v platinum

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:eek-2: Oh my God! This stone is a big No No No!. In actual this will look very dull and messy. This cut is consider very poor . I dont know why this diamond still graded 3Ex hahays.
Hi
qjiCMwo0e6zHy40W-DPFSMqLmM9KlNCp_C1UC-F8rhXcwORSfgLyE0k7LnpOru_-hpkR6KcLfDWLhu3WOu4cduJyhzZQcMGHfHFhwY4lU1QmcyCd_AUcrNAkPmh8pbSlLs330iLX

long story short me and my partner have been together for a long time and are pretty open with discussing our upcoming engagement at the end of the year and the ring (the only thing that's really going to be a surprise is when he proposes haha).

So I have been looking at the rings on the website and have narrowed it down to a round diamond, preferably 1.5 carats in the Nouveau Knife Edge setting.

Here is the Diamond I am interested in. I looked at youtube videos which suggested to sacrifice clarity and color which is what I tried to do, Should I lower them further to try get the Astor Ideal Cut?

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.32.52 am.jpg

I really don't know much about rings other than I want one with a lot of sparkle and that I was rather underwhelmed by the rings at my local jeweller. I guess I just wanted to ask people with more experience with e-rings on their opinion on the diamond im interested in, white gold vs platinum and fluorescence. The diamond I am looking at has strong fluorescence I was wondering if anyone had a similar diamond and if it bothered them? I'm pretty visual so pictures of rings with fluorescence or similar specs would help me out alot

Thanks in advance I am totally overwhelmed with the whole process.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek-2: Oh my God! This stone is a big No No No!. In actual this will look very dull and messy. This cut is consider very poor . I dont know why this diamond still graded 3Ex hahays.

The info's out there why this diamond graded Triple X YoLal, might make interesting reading and it would be useful for you.

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Lorelei . Thanks! Would you mind can share me the link please.I'll try search I cant find it.

The info's out there why this diamond graded Triple X YoLal, might make interesting reading and it would be useful for you.

nowi

Rough_Rock
@rockysalamander hi again sorry to bother you, I just wanted to ask for your adivce again since you were so helpful last time - unfortunately most of the rings you recommended are gone and we are now ready to buy - I was just wondering if you could recommended diamonds (around $13k Aus & hopefully around 1.5 carats) any of the online stores you recommend last time is fine. Thanks in advance =)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander hi again sorry to bother you, I just wanted to ask for your adivce again since you were so helpful last time - unfortunately most of the rings you recommended are gone and we are now ready to buy - I was just wondering if you could recommended diamonds (around $13k Aus & hopefully around 1.5 carats) any of the online stores you recommend last time is fine. Thanks in advance =)2

I think starting a new thread would help, that way others can weigh in as well.

And for those of us in the US, that's about 9.5K (I think)

nowi

Rough_Rock
I think starting a new thread would help, that way others can weigh in as well.

And for those of us in the US, that's about 9.5K (I think)

Thanks for the advice :mrgreen2: I have also created a new thread

Evian

Rough_Rock
If you stick with the search parameters above, you don’t need an Astor ideal. I just picked up some studs from BN with fantastic angles and not Astor ideal and thus I bought them at a very attractive price.
What did you buy? Can you provide size and angles?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you buy? Can you provide size and angles?

I’m not home and won’t be for several more days. Perhaps you can search my posts for the one where I bought the studs and see the details.

They are .70 each F si1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results