shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me design a wedding band for these antique diamonds and ceylon sapphires!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

InTheFade

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster here - because I finally have a reason :D Firstly, I want to thank all of you for helping me to understand and appreciate diamonds and other stones. Without this forum I probably would have settled for a horrible mall-bought stone
7.gif

Boring backstory:
My boyfriend of almost 4 years proposed to me last month and has allowed me to pick my own e ring and wedding band (as he knows I''m incredibly picky about jewellery!).

As an added bonus, his lovely mother gave me an incredible gift - she approached me with a jewellery box and told me to take my pick from her old jewellery. I had already had my heart set on having a wedding band with alternating sapphires and diamonds - and what did she have in that box?

THIS!
sapph-colour.JPG

I apologise for my terrible cell phone pictures, my father has stolen my nikon.

2 G/VS1 Diamonds, around .65ct I think, cut around the 1890s. If I''m not mistaken they seem to be an old european cut (please educate me further!). They are the most interestingly cut diamonds I have seen, they have a perfect circle in the centre when viewed from the top similar to this: http://mysparklies.com/images/rings/transitional.jpg. Apparently the ring was his great grandmother''s aunty''s. Their fire is also breathtaking (which I am quickly becoming thoroughly addicted to).

With 3 graduated natural oblong Ceylon sapphires. They are the perfect colour for my preference, they are not murky at all and make me shiver with delight.

My only gripe is the setting of the ring, I do not like the way the prongs really contrast to (and in my opinion, detract from) the sapphires.

This is where you come in - If you could re-set this ring, how would you do it?

sapph-colour.jpg

InTheFade

Rough_Rock
Sorry I know I double posted the picture above, but I can''t seem to fix it up. any tips & I''ll edit it :)

Here''s another pic:

sapph-colour-2.jpg

InTheFade

Rough_Rock
Here''s a picture of the setting. Again, excuse the horrible focus.

sapph-setting.jpg

InTheFade

Rough_Rock
Here''s an example of one of the circles. If you look in the middle of the diamond on the left, you will see a little circle that shows the same colour as the background.

sapph-circle.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I like the setting that its in
3.gif
! I think the ring is beautiful and how lucky were you that she had
a ring that you wanted before you even knew what was in the box??? Way kool!

Do you want it in a more up to date setting? You could put it in a regular shared prong setting. If this is going to
be your wedding band I would like a picture of your engagement ring also so we can make suggestions that
compliment it.

Those little round circles in the diamonds that you see are called cutlets. Most old stones have cutlets..its like an
extra facet at the bottom instead of being pointed like in a round brilliant cut.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I adore the current setting.

Are you sure your future mother-in-law is okay with you resetting the stones? I would be very hurt, myself, if I gave an antique piece as a sentimental gift and the person scrapped the setting (unless we had discussed it beforehand). And often the main value of an antique is in the integrity of stones and setting.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/14/2009 10:41:18 AM
Author: glitterata
I adore the current setting.

Are you sure your future mother-in-law is okay with you resetting the stones? I would be very hurt, myself, if I gave an antique piece as a sentimental gift and the person scrapped the setting (unless we had discussed it beforehand). And often the main value of an antique is in the integrity of stones and setting.

What Glitterata said, word for word.

I think this ring is *magnificent* as is. It''s gorgeous, and it''s in perfect shape - it''s a little piece of history! Maybe instead of changing the current setting, you can look for an e-ring that will match the style of the future wedding band? Or keep this one as a RHR while getting a set that suits you to a T?

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Which metal is the setting made of?

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I like this style for old stones... I apologize for not being able to post pix.. having issues.......

Edwardian 3 stone

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully someone can post these pix for me... I love this one too

2nd 3 stone edwardian.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Just another idea...

open work band.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 12:42:49 PM
Author: westjenn
I like this style for old stones... I apologize for not being able to post pix.. having issues.......

Edwardian 3 stone
Here''s the pic for this one...

edwardian 3 stone IR.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is stunning the way that it is! Congratulations on such a wonderful MIL!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like the setting as is (but I like antique/vintage styles). What a lovely gift.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
--- I do not like the way the prongs really contrast to (and in my opinion, detract from) the sapphires. ---

I also Adore it. Not "like", I mean ADORE.

The prongs are bold and "hip". Much jewelry is too "cookie cutter". But this in not, nor is it too "different". It's just right.

Fabulous.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I was shaking my head and frowning when reading sonoma''s post..... until I got to the second line!

I too ADORE the current mounting!! I hadn''t posted yet because I didn''t want to be the Negative Nellie about resetting.
25.gif

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first thought was that your boyfriend's mother might be upset if you were to take apart the ring. Do you think she would be ok with it? It's now your ring, but I'm sure she still has a sentimental attachment to it. Personally, I love the setting as it is! But I am a lover of older rings such as this and just think they should be kept in their original state. Maybe you could wear it as a RHR? If you are really intent on changing the setting, maybe run it by her first? You are so,so lucky, such a breath-taking piece of jewelry, it's stunning!!!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone else - the ring is beautiful as is and I would leave it set the way it is. That''s part of it''s charm and if it were me giving something like that to someone, I''d be very hurt if they altered it because the history of the piece and it''s longevity in the family would be, for me, more important than the ring itself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results