carat
color
clarity

Help me design a setting

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI,
So I've decided to get a new setting for my upgrade. It is a 3.54 J VS2 A Cut Above. I currently have it set in a platinum pronged rose gold shank setting from Whiteflash.
I notice that the body tint kind of bothers me, so I would like to design a ring with a busier gallery.
I previously had the Dahlia, but because this diamond is significantly bigger, I don't want to do the Dahlia again because it adds a silhouette effect that will make the diamond look even bigger.
So, I'm currently thinking of the Olivia or the modified Jovyn.
I prefer a slightly beefier shank and eight prongs.
I am including pictures of the Olivia and the Jovyn that I am thinking of courtesy of soxfan and msop4. The first pictures are the Olivia, love the 8 prongs and the gallery.

_38598.jpg

img_13648.jpg

img_13647.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next pictures are the Jovyn. I love the beefier look of this Jovyn, so I want something similar. It just seems more sturdy to me. But I feel like with this design, it won't hide the body color as well. With the Olivia, I feel like it will but it might be harder to keep clean.
Also, I can't decide on the prongs, tabs or soft claw?

cvb_soli_glamour_pink_box_1.jpg

cvb_soli_glamour_pink_box_2.jpg

cvb_soli_blue_capsules_2.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caysie sent this to me today. It looks like a simpler version of the Olivia. What do you think? Is there anything I should modify? I know I want a wider shank. I do like the cathedral shank and the eight prongs. I'm not sure I like the milgrain on the donut.
I would have her add two suprise rubies at 3 and 9 o'clock.

icm_75x75.119052950_3gxubw1lbvi8c8ww0k48.jpg

icm_fullxfull.123242395_napnggt92j48owsccw8w.jpg

icm_75x75.119052944_1fgekrl54zuscgkck8s0.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oophs, two of them came out tiny.

icm_fullxfull.119052944_1fgekrl54zuscgkck8s0.jpg

icm_fullxfull.119052950_3gxubw1lbvi8c8ww0k48.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that last one!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this simpler version. Depending on how ornate (or not) you want it, I am not sure about the detail in the donut. Do you want any bling in the basket?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi lljsmom,
No. I don't want any diamonds in the basket. I don't think I want the milgrain either. What do you think about the prongs? Tabs or soft claws?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The last looks more elegant to my eyes. But I'm a guy so take my view with a grain of salt.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Olivia or the modified Olivia. I don't think of that donit detail as millegrain, it seems larger, like a bead or cable effect. I would do claw prints, and if you don't like them sharp and super pointy, I'm sure she can soften them a bit.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi lljsmom,
No. I don't want any diamonds in the basket. I don't think I want the milgrain either. What do you think about the prongs? Tabs or soft claws?

Unless it specifically goes with an antique cut (thinking DS's antique asscher) I would go claws all the way. But if you have a special affinity for tabs, go for it. Visually, I prefer the sharpness of the claw to accent the arrows of an MRB.

And since it looks like you're leaning toward a cleaner look, I would definitely not have the millgrain in the donut either.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So another question I have. Should I do all platinum or rose gold shank?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Olivia or the modified Olivia. I don't think of that donit detail as millegrain, it seems larger, like a bead or cable effect. I would do claw prints, and if you don't like them sharp and super pointy, I'm sure she can soften them a bit.
Yes. I see what you mean. It looks similar to the VCA perlee with bigger beads. I also agree about the after claw prongs.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last looks more elegant to my eyes. But I'm a guy so take my view with a grain of salt.
Your opinions are greatly appreciated even if you're a guy. ;-)

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it specifically goes with an antique cut (thinking DS's antique asscher) I would go claws all the way. But if you have a special affinity for tabs, go for it. Visually, I prefer the sharpness of the claw to accent the arrows of an MRB.

And since it looks like you're leaning toward a cleaner look, I would definitely not have the millgrain in the donut either.
Lol! Caysie just sent this to me. She feels the same way!
"Gosh, with the sharp facets of the ideal cuts, I would personally choose the soft claws, similar that are in the Olivia photo...shorter than those though :)"

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So to add to the mix. This is the Jovyn with 8 prongs and shorter claw prongs. I think I prefer the shorter claw prongs.

IMG_4680.PNG

IMG_4681.PNG

IMG_4683.PNG

IMG_4685.PNG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So to add to the mix. This is the Jovyn with 8 prongs and shorter claw prongs. I think I prefer the shorter claw prongs.

IMG_4685.PNG

Love the shorter claws!! Totally and completely. I would definitely go for those.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As of right now I'm planning on resetting my stone in the Jovyn after my recut, but I am loving the cad of the Olivia you posed. It's simple and lets the diamond shine, but it's more interesting than a standard solitaire setting. I'm also kind of digging the right prong Jovyn. Your stone is big enough that I think eight prongs would look awesome!

Now you've made my wheels start to turn and I thought I had already made up my mind!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the simpler Olivia. I think it will help hide the body of the stone but not be as busy as the original Olivia. You have some nice choices.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As of right now I'm planning on resetting my stone in the Jovyn after my recut, but I am loving the cad of the Olivia you posed. It's simple and lets the diamond shine, but it's more interesting than a standard solitaire setting. I'm also kind of digging the right prong Jovyn. Your stone is big enough that I think eight prongs would look awesome!

Now you've made my wheels start to turn and I thought I had already made up my mind!

Hi! I love the Jovyn and I think an 8 prong Jovyn would be gorgeous, not to mention secure your diamond really well!
Caysie said that the simple eight prong setting is called the Caroline and it's a new design. I asked her to send me a CAD of the head on the Caroline with the shank of the Jovyn. I am leaning towards a rose gold shank but I can see how it can get complicated because two of the prongs of the Caroline are part of the cathedral shank and I'm not sure how they can get it to blend with the rose gold.
If I go with the Caroline head and the Jovyn shank, I don't have to worry about that because they are two separate pieces. Also, I really like the Caroline because it shows the culet and that always gets dirty for me and can be hard to get to with a brush.

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I love the Jovyn and I think an 8 prong Jovyn would be gorgeous, not to mention secure your diamond really well!
Caysie said that the simple eight prong setting is called the Caroline and it's a new design. I asked her to send me a CAD of the head on the Caroline with the shank of the Jovyn. I am leaning towards a rose gold shank but I can see how it can get complicated because two of the prongs of the Caroline are part of the cathedral shank and I'm not sure how they can get it to blend with the rose gold.
If I go with the Caroline head and the Jovyn shank, I don't have to worry about that because they are two separate pieces. Also, I really like the Caroline because it shows the culet and that always gets dirty for me and can be hard to get to with a brush.
Hi! That was exactly my thoughts in regards to bumping the Jovyn up to eight prongs. It would also hide the body color (another issue I share with you) more than the six prong.

Oh you must post pictures of the Jovyn shank with the Caroline head! How soon are you looking to get this done?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just started talking with Caysie yesterday. That's when she sent me those cads. I'm planning on sending her the deposit today once she sends me her invoice. I'm still waiting on the cad with the Caroline head and the Jovyn shank. Once I get those I can decide what I want.
She said once I finalize which look I want she should have the ring ready in two to three weeks. But I don't mind if it takes a little longer as long as we get it right.
I can't decide if I should have WF just set my diamond in a temporary setting or not. It would be relatively inexpensive and I'm sure I can sell the setting on preloved or loupetroop. Or just wait it out and let WF keep my diamond while Caysie makes the setting.
Part of me wants to just set it now so at least I can wear it in the meantime.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just started talking with Caysie yesterday. That's when she sent me those cads. I'm planning on sending her the deposit today once she sends me her invoice. I'm still waiting on the cad with the Caroline head and the Jovyn shank. Once I get those I can decide what I want.
She said once I finalize which look I want she should have the ring ready in two to three weeks. But I don't mind if it takes a little longer as long as we get it right.
I can't decide if I should have WF just set my diamond in a temporary setting or not. It would be relatively inexpensive and I'm sure I can sell the setting on preloved or loupetroop. Or just wait it out and let WF keep my diamond while Caysie makes the setting.
Part of me wants to just set it now so at least I can wear it in the meantime.
I thought you were wearing the diamond already?

HA! I've had the exact same conversation with my husband about getting it set in a temp setting so I can wear it while the final one is being made. He was against it until I told him that way I would have PLENTY of time to decide what I really wanted so we didn't have to go through this again lol.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought you were wearing the diamond already?

HA! I've had the exact same conversation with my husband about getting it set in a temp setting so I can wear it while the final one is being made. He was against it until I told him that way I would have PLENTY of time to decide what I really wanted so we didn't have to go through this again lol.
I was wearing it but they set my diamond crooked so I returned. Go look at my other thread. I posted a picture of it actually.
As far as the temp setting. It all depends on how long you take to get it set. From my personal experience with the Dahlia, it took a long time( again my personal opinion). I think I started conversations April 4th and didn't get the ring until the end of July. Then it was remade and I didn't get that until Oct., but the diamond was loose. So I had to resend it back. I got the final ring and I absolutely love it though.
I'm sure the same thing won't happen again this time but at the same time, this time around I know what to expect and I'm willing to wait longer if I have to bc Caysie's work is really really excellent and worth it!
Also we made the Dahlia from scratch so to speak whereas the Caroline she already made the CAD for. Same with the Jovyn.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had forgotten about them setting it crooked; such a pain.

Caysie is currently making me a pendent (approved CADs yesterday) and she's been a joy to work with!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had forgotten about them setting it crooked; such a pain.

Caysie is currently making me a pendent (approved CADs yesterday) and she's been a joy to work with!
That's exciting! I have David Klass currently working on a bezel setting with milgrain for me as well. This year we will both be decked out with our new baubles!!!!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha DK just got done resetting some earrings for me. I don't know what I'm going to do once all my projects are done:doh:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright. So I have a question. When you design a ring, isn't part of the price of the ring the designing part?
So I asked to see what the Caroline head would look with the Jovyn shank. Caysie said she doesn't have any pictures or cads but if I wanted them or make any other changes, she might charge me more for the setting.
Now I thought part of the cost was the whole designing of the ring.
So I'm not sure how to take that.
So far she hasn't made me any Cads for my new setting. Every CAD and picture I posted has been ones she already had. I had no input other than to say what I or don't . I did request pictures but they were of rings she already made for other customers.
The only CAD so far I've asked for was the Caroline head on top of the Jovyn shank. Which I don't think is too much to ask for since I am paying for it and want to make sure I get it right.
I don't know! I've seen some people on here say they've had many changes made to their CADs and I'm wondering if they were charged each time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results