shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide Round diamond F VS1 or G VVS2

Par

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking and trying to educate myself :read: on here and I listen to friends and salespeople but I dont know what would be the best choices for a round brilliant diamond. I plan to propose to my gf and I want to get her something in a 1.70-1.74 carat range. What Im confused about is and can't decide would a F Color VS1 or a G Color VVS2 be the best for my budget on center stone alone. My budget is in the 20-23K price range. I do the HCA tool and most of the diamonds with scores in the 1.0's fall into that price range. I guess it comes down to what's best without really seeing it, better color or better cut?

so confused. :confused: :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can just about flip a coin, they are so close.

Go out and see F and G's, in person, graded by GIA or AGS.
Don't look at stones grade by other labs since the color grades may not be accurate.
Turn the loose diamonds up side down on a folded white card under flat even fluorescent light.
Stay far away from those spotlight jewelry store lights ... all you'll see is high contrast and fire which makes body color indistinguishable.
You may or may not see the difference.
Even if you DO see the difference it may be so minor that the F is not worth the extra money compared to the G, to you.

You are not going to see anything with the naked eye on a VS1 or VVS2 if grade by GIA or AGS.
So pay extra for the VVS2 only if you have a 'thing' about high clarity like I do.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I would go down in clarity and stay high in colour...but that's just me. I like F/G as a sweet spot (but would appreciate a D!!!)
Grading is decided using a 10x loupe, by experts.... for ordinary mortals without loupes, SI can be perfect!
But this is only my view! Luckily, we are all different!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My sweet spot is vs so I would go for F or G VS ... I would probably go to G VS in favor of size.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure both are beautiful but I'm inclined to say explore more color/ clarity variations

At the price your paying going down to an H VS2 would yield a substantial increase in CTW. And that would still be a very white eye clean stone.

I suggest tou find what's most important to you about the stone, and purchase that way. Some people prefer the idea of high clarity, even though its nothing you will ever actually see. Some like stark white diamonds, though many can't see tint in lower colors. Many want the biggest (visually appealing) stone they can get. I just encourage you to go out and see quite a few color/ clarity variations to see if a high color and clarity is worth it over size. Just keep in mind she isn't wearing the certificate on her finger, so the gradings of color and clarity arent really as important as how appealing the diamond is to your eye.

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock
I would pick the F/VS1 if the diamonds are priced the same and they are both outstanding cut. Both diamonds will be eye clean and color is what you will see, though the difference will be very slight. I am a big fan of colorless diamonds and I am willing to sacrifice size for it too (though most PSers have a different personal preference).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, for my e-ring diamond I had a mind clean issue and needed it to be in the colorless range (D to F) and VS1 or better. This is how I ended up with E VS1.

NiceSmile

Rough_Rock
Go for the best possible cut first.

I recently purchased a 1.7 F VVS2 (pinpoints only), H&A, etc for about 26k GIA EX/EX/EX, pavilion angle 40.6, HCA 1.0, Super Ideal if you can call it that.

Always take into consideration the bride-to-be's preferences: she might want money only spent on things she can see: size, color range, inclusions, cut.

If that's the case, then go for a ~2 ct, H, VS2 for the same money.

NiceSmile

Rough_Rock
Par, would you be willing to post your options so we can help you pick?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results