shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Decide On This Spinel

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is from Yvonne Raley and she has a 14 day return policy. It is a 2.39 red with orange Burma spinel. It has a tilt window, but not one I can see looking straight down. It was reasonable in price and I was not expecting a precision cut stone. I picked three lighting conditions for you to judge if the stone is a yay or a nay. Please be totally honest- my feelings won't be hurt. Thanks!

Beauty lighting.... 003_9.jpg

Mixed lighting.... 017_1.jpg

Looking it's worst..... 025_1.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A large size for a burmese spinel - depends on the price .... could you tell us??

I like it !

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is attractive but it doesn't make me swoon, especially in the beauty lighting pic (I'm guessing diffused sunlight), where I'd expect a brighter colour.

Definitely depends on the price, though.

This is what I'd look for in an orangey red spinel.
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jul14BSpinelPage.htm

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure Marlow. It was about $750 with shipping. But I want to know in your opinion if this stone is a pretty spinel in your estimation. I like the flashes of red the stone gives off, but I haven't had any true red to red/orange stones. Most of my reds are pinkish or purplish. Thanks!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1422901793|3826087 said:
I think it is attractive but it doesn't make me swoon, especially in the beauty lighting pic (I'm guessing diffused sunlight), where I'd expect a brighter colour.

Definitely depends on the price, though.

This is what I'd look for in an orangey red spinel.
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jul14BSpinelPage.htm

Love that one!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you could probably find a precision cut garnet of a similar colour and size for cheaper.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lisa,

I agree with NKOTB and Loverskites. The stone is certainly attractive but it just doesn't do anything for me. It looks a little dark and brown. However, the size and clarity look good. I would take NKOTB's advice and look for a garnet in the same color.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1422902031|3826091 said:
I think you could probably find a precision cut garnet of a similar colour and size for cheaper.

Good point, an orangey red spess could look similar

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pass and continue your search.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your opinions and links. :) The stone is nice but it didn't thrill me out of the box either.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Which color you prefer - pure red or hot pink ??

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1422908923|3826157 said:
Which color you prefer - pure red or hot pink ??

Honestly- Not sure. I think I wanted red or red/orange because I don't have any stones in that color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to avoid red spinels that look like pyrope garnets. Not that there's anything wrong with pyrope, but they're a lot less expensive, and have a similar look to them.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1422917076|3826218 said:
I try to avoid red spinels that look like pyrope garnets. Not that there's anything wrong with pyrope, but they're a lot less expensive, and have a similar look to them.

My exact thought was that the stone was pretty- but looks like a really attractive garnet (the Iphone pics don't do it justice). Thanks for your opinion. I will be sending it back.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I tend am "eh" on it, or have to ask for someone else's opinions, it's probably not the stone for me. :wacko:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I also vote no. I agree that it looks like a garnet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results