shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on my next vintage piece!

dcnl06

Rough_Rock
Premium
I have only recently begun getting into antique rings, and am about to make my next purchase but I am torn between two very different vintage (one is actually an antique) rings.

One is a 3 stone diamond band totaling 1.25 carats in 14k yellow gold- I’m guessing it’s probably from the 1940’s or 50’s.
The three diamonds are round brilliants that are G-H in color.

The other is a 5 stone band with old mine cut diamonds with a total of .75 carats, in a carved 18k setting. The ring is estimated to be from the very early 1900’s.
These old mine cut diamonds are H-I in color.

I have a size 5 finger and like finger coverage.
The 5 stone band, although smaller stoneswould cover my finger from left to right but the 3 stone ring would be MUCH larger stones and probably more impactful.

I’m torn:confused:
Which would you pick??

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have pictures of the contenders? I'm a big fan of smaller but more impactful.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to be honest, I am not digging the three stone, those diamonds look milky so I would pass on that.

The old mine band is very nice, one thing to keep in mind with a ring like that is it's going to need work on the prongs. Really any older ring is going to need a good once over by a trusted jeweler before wear.

dcnl06

Rough_Rock
Premium
Going to be honest, I am not digging the three stone, those diamonds look milky so I would pass on that.

The old mine band is very nice, one thing to keep in mind with a ring like that is it's going to need work on the prongs. Really any older ring is going to need a good once over by a trusted jeweler before wear.

I thought the same thing about the 3 stone ring as well!
I’m waiting on a video of the ring so I can get a better view.

My jeweler did an amazing job on a 100+ year old ring I purchased so I would definitely have it checked out and/or fixed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other is a 5 stone band with old mine cut diamonds with a total of .75 carats, in a carved 18k setting. The ring is estimated to be from the very early 1900’s.
These old mine cut diamonds are H-I in color.

Yes, I do. I’ve included them below...=)2

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 7.31.26 AM.png

Yassss! This is the one. SWOON. :love:

The 3 stone is not IMO pretty. As others wrote above it is milky and deadly dull. But the old mine cut is chunky delicious IMO (needing work notwithstanding).

dcnl06

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yassss! This is the one. SWOON. :love:

The 3 stone is not IMO pretty. As others wrote above it is milky and deadly dull. But the old mine cut is chunky delicious IMO (needing work notwithstanding).

I do like that old mine cut too....
But I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of antique jewelry and found some others that have caught my eye :love:

I’m a sucker for sparkle!
DFFE2903-449F-423D-B226-81110E842A3A.jpeg
1C9A87DF-A588-4583-8FC7-AB5F4130716B.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like that old mine cut too....
But I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of antique jewelry and found some others that have caught my eye :love:

I’m a sucker for sparkle!
DFFE2903-449F-423D-B226-81110E842A3A.jpeg
1C9A87DF-A588-4583-8FC7-AB5F4130716B.jpeg

Old cuts rock ❤️

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that bottom right one is really lovely.

Which one do YOU like best so far? I would recommend making sure there is a return policy to be on the safe side.

dcnl06

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oh that bottom right one is really lovely.

Which one do YOU like best so far? I would recommend making sure there is a return policy to be on the safe side.

The one that keeps drawing me back is the .25ct bezel set European cut diamond band. It’s different :love::love:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Whenever ones you opt *not to* pursue, I hope you'll share links to!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the 5 stone old mine cut ring as well :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results