shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on a colored trillion engagement ring?

moloko

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm brand new here, referred from the wedding planning subreddit. My SO proposed last weekend and we were surprised to learn that jewelry stores expected us to know exactly what we wanted and had little for us to browse. I thought I wanted a round rose cut, bezel set stone, but after looking around Pricescope, I'm pretty certain on a trillion. I called up a jeweler we'd visited who said we'd need to know exactly what size and color before they can bring any stones in because of the cost to them. I'm thinking grey diamond or light-medium blue or green sapphire. I'd want the ring for everyday wear, and I'm looking for enough saturation that it doesn't look too transparent, but light enough in color so it doesn't look too dark in a bezel. Our total budget for the ring is under 2k. So, I guess my questions are:

• What sort of facet cuts are available on trillions?
    Are there places one can check out various colored stones in person? (I'm in New England)
    Any advice or info y'all can provide on choosing a color or tips on bezel settings?

I'm pretty hesitant to order a colored stone online due to my total inexperience with gemstones and uncertainty regarding how they look in natural vs. artificial light or in a setting. Appreciate any help you guys can provide - thank you!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well they make brilliant cut or step cut trillions.

Brilliant cuts will usually be more rounded, curvier. Step cuts (think emerald cut) will be more angular.
I don't know any lalxes in new England to go, but to your question about bezels, try for a shade lighter than you want on the hand because a bezel can darken the stone slightly.

Larger trillions in diamonds are hard to find were trillions for colored stones are a bit easier

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any chance that there is gem show (like Intergem) coming near you in the coming months? That might be a good way to see a variety of stones in person to get a better feel for what your ideal stone might be.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from concave, step and brilliant cuts, one can also have straight sides and curvy sides (not for step cut for obvious reason).

The corners could be cut or rounded and not pointy.

Have a look at Bespoke Gems' link of different triangular cuts for inspiration:

http://bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Designs_Pears_and_Triangles.php

Personally, I prefer curvy sides with rounded corners myself in a trillion as a main stone.

DK :))

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, congratulations! I absolutely love trillions but keep in mind they are harder to find stock settings for (and your budget is tight for both a stone and custom setting). Do you have a setting in mind and how much of your budget you need to spend on it?

There is an Intergem show in Marlborough MA on Nov 4-6th. It would be a good opportunity to look and see what's out there but mostly in finished jewelry. If you are looking for loose stones, I think there is a better selection at the Chantilly show (DC area) in December. Shows are great for window shopping but I don't recommend purchasing anything expensive unless you know the vendor, prices and exactly what you want. This is from someone who has been going for decades and does a lot of impulse shopping at these shows (thrilled with most but a few that I would've talked myself out of if I had taken the time).

Good luck and very excited to see what you find and decide on...PS is a great forum for guiding you!

S

SparkliesLuver

Congratulations! :)

As others have mentioned, trillions do come in different cuts, so it really comes down to what speaks to you. Like DK, I normally gravitate toward rounded corners but when I came across this I had to post it.

Parti color Aussie sapphire
Unheated
VVS
1.05ct
6mm
$750
http://clearcutgems.com/sapphire/s10.html
(I would ask them how it performs in various lighting conditions.)

I'll keep looking!

_1473.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually strongly preder rounded corners and single colour but that parti is gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results