shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Compare WF A Cut Above vs Expert Selection

quinty70

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm in the process of selecting a diamond for an engagement ring setting and am considering purchasing from Whiteflash.

I'm a novice, especially when it comes to to reviewing and interpreting Idealscope/Aset images, but I've picked out two different diamonds on Whiteflash which I feel look great based on my limited knowledge.

Here is the link to the comparison on WF;
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3236256,3157630

HCA ratings;

0.89 G VS2 A Cut Above = 0.8
0.82 G SI1 Expert Selection = 1.6

So, based on the information and images provided on Whiteflash (and pricing), which diamond would you suggest and why? Are there any flaws to be concerned about in either diamond?

For the setting, I'm thinking of having it set in WF 18k White Gold "Petite Open Cathedral"
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/petite-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-1539.htm

Appreciate any and all feedback you can provide.

Thanks folks :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, also, am not an expert. I prefer the ACA stone and would buy that one if I had no one to advise me. It is slightly more expensive, but appears to be ever so slightly better cut. I do not think you can really go wrong with the quality of stones at which you are looking, however.

No one will see the tiny inclusions on the second (Expert Selection) stone or notice the miniscule difference in light return and there is a slight price difference, but the first stone appears to be a real sparkler.

Get more expert opinions!

AGBF

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'd also go with the ACA - it looks to be a beauty!

As to the ES, well, based on the enlarged photo, I think the crystal on the table looks to be dark in color - I know WF has the "eyeclean" stamp for this stone, but WF's standard definition is eyeclean face-up from 10" away - if that matches your expectation, then okay (FWIW, my personal preference is eyeclean from 4" away from the top, and 6" away from the sides - but I have excellent close-up vision and do in fact regularly look at my rings that close). Also, small niggle, but the AGL lab report says the depth is 62.5%, but the Sarin (and the WF item listing) says 62.4% for depth - of course, with the WF images, we know the depth % is not a negative in this stone's performance, but I'd think WF would be posting the lab report numbers, not the sarin.

quinty70

Rough_Rock
Great thanks guys!

Have you, or anyone else, got any comments on the green sections at 5 and 6 o' clock on the below image? What are these and are they bad?

untitled-2_1.jpg

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
I am also not an expert, but would choose the ACA.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
quinty70|1413194816|3766353 said:
Hi all,

I'm in the process of selecting a diamond for an engagement ring setting and am considering purchasing from Whiteflash.

I'm a novice, especially when it comes to to reviewing and interpreting Idealscope/Aset images, but I've picked out two different diamonds on Whiteflash which I feel look great based on my limited knowledge.

Here is the link to the comparison on WF;
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3236256,3157630

HCA ratings;

0.89 G VS2 A Cut Above = 0.8
0.82 G SI1 Expert Selection = 1.6

So, based on the information and images provided on Whiteflash (and pricing), which diamond would you suggest and why? Are there any flaws to be concerned about in either diamond?

For the setting, I'm thinking of having it set in WF 18k White Gold "Petite Open Cathedral"
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/petite-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-1539.htm

Appreciate any and all feedback you can provide.

Thanks folks :)

Instead of guessing, why don't have give Whiteflash a call ask for Bob Hoskins or Bryan Boone and get a definitive answer on why the second one is only an expert selection and not ACA and also about how eye clean it is(visibility and viewing distance).

I doubt you will receive many informed opinions more than an in house gemologist with stones in hand comparing the two.

Edit: The Green/Yellow areas at 5 or 6 o clock in the hearts image of the ACA are stray light when taking the hearts image and are nothing to be concerned about.

Also you are comparing diamonds that have a big difference in price, alos one is 0.2mm bigger than the other. This is not a comparison based on Cut differences alone.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MelisendeDiamonds|1413238990|3766625 said:
Instead of guessing, why don't have give Whiteflash a call ask for Bob Hoskins or Bryan Boone and get a definitive answer on why the second one is only an expert selection and not ACA and also about how eye clean it is(visibility and viewing distance).

Well, that's sensible!

Deb ;))

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
I am also in the process of working with Whiteflash to find a center stone. I was debating between an ACA and ES and they were happy to take a few pictures of them side by side for comparison. I found it really helpful! I ended up going with the ES, and the lady I'm working with said it just barely missed ACA status because of one measurement but that it performs like an ACA. It hasn't arrived yet, but they're wonderful to work with so far.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this case, the ACA is also 6.2mm and VS2 versus just under 6mm and SI1 for the ES. The ACA is better cut, higher clarity, and larger. No contest in my opinion.

quinty70

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments!

Place the order with WF for the Petite Open Cathedral with the ACA diamond... Now the wait is on! Looking forward to seeing it in person :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results