infinite

Rough_Rock
I am deciding between these two:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2535268.htm
1.34ct H VS2 round diamond at $8500 but I can get it closer to $8200

or
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-details/?product_id=27679161
1.27 H VS2 round diamond $7350

Can you please weigh in on both stones and provide thoughts? I'm not too sure on proportions and the like and if I bring it in for an idealscope and other images and don't buy it, I'll have to eat the $75 cost so I'd like to just bring in one that I'd seriously consider buying.

Please advise, thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
infinite|1297262867|2847553 said:
I am deciding between these two:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2535268.htm
1.34ct H VS2 round diamond at $8500 but I can get it closer to $8200

or
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-details/?product_id=27679161
1.27 H VS2 round diamond $7350

Can you please weigh in on both stones and provide thoughts? I'm not too sure on proportions and the like and if I bring it in for an idealscope and other images and don't buy it, I'll have to eat the $75 cost so I'd like to just bring in one that I'd seriously consider buying.

Please advise, thanks!

Hi Infinite,

I take it neither vendor have an in house diamond that might fit your requirements? They both have potential but if I were buying, I would lean towards the first stone for evaluation. The table is a little larger than I personally prefer but that should not be an issue. Also although it is engraved h&a that is no guarantee that it is a h&a diamond as you may be aware...

Have you had a good look around at all the in house diamonds available from the vendors? What do you intend this diamond to be used for, a ring?

infinite

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei,

Thank you for your response. I have taken a look at the in-house diamonds from BVG, JA, WF among others - the stones are generally gorgeous but there's quite a premium for the same specs/size ($1k+). That would force me to go down on size (perhaps down to the 1.15ct area) with same specs to get an in-house stone. That's the reason why I was considering a virtual stone.

What is an ideal table size range?

I am looking for this stone to be a solitary stone on an engagement ring.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both could work.

EDT:
wrt. virtual stone, note that both BGD and WF would require a deposit before calling the stone in and if the stone pass their criteria and you do not go with it in the end you loose the deposit.

This stone looks promising, ask for an idealscope. JA should be able to get that for free if the stone is located in NYC.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1353936.asp

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
infinite|1297264695|2847580 said:
Hi Lorelei,

Thank you for your response. I have taken a look at the in-house diamonds from BVG, JA, WF among others - the stones are generally gorgeous but there's quite a premium for the same specs/size ($1k+). That would force me to go down on size (perhaps down to the 1.15ct area) with same specs to get an in-house stone. That's the reason why I was considering a virtual stone.

What is an ideal table size range?

I am looking for this stone to be a solitary stone on an engagement ring.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

I understand.

The table size is actually fine, it is just that I prefer a little smaller in the 54- 58% range so the table sizes aren't far off that anyway. As I said before, both have real potential but the first has angles that are perhaps a little ' safer' and allowing for overall cut precision and GIA rounding.

infinite

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1297266322|2847599 said:

this one you sent me is actually not too bad - 1.21ct H VS2 premium select
however, i'm not too familiar with AGC certs - does excellent light performance mean that it's not the highest grade cut? does this mean that the GIA excellent cuts (their highest) would be a nicer cut than this AGS one?

1.21H VS2 at $7325 is very comparable to 1.27H VS2 at $7350. Essentially the trade off is going with an "expert" for their in house stones and sacrificing 0.06cts.

You've just given me more to consider - I really have no idea where to go with this. Are expert stones really that much better or are they just safer because they are known instead of unknown?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
infinite|1297267323|2847610 said:
diamondseeker2006|1297266322|2847599 said:

this one you sent me is actually not too bad - 1.21ct H VS2 premium select
however, i'm not too familiar with AGC certs - does excellent light performance mean that it's not the highest grade cut? does this mean that the GIA excellent cuts (their highest) would be a nicer cut than this AGS one?

1.21H VS2 at $7325 is very comparable to 1.27H VS2 at $7350. Essentially the trade off is going with an "expert" for their in house stones and sacrificing 0.06cts.

You've just given me more to consider - I really have no idea where to go with this. Are expert stones really that much better or are they just safer because they are known instead of unknown?

safer because they are known instead of unknown. perhaps call WF and ask about this one?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11|1297265848|2847592 said:
EDT:
wrt. virtual stone, note that both BGD and WF would require a deposit before calling the stone in and if the stone pass their criteria and you do not go with it in the end you loose the deposit.

Just wanted to clarify that what Stone's referring to isn't actually a deposit; it's prepayment of round-trip shipping charges, which will apply ONLY if the stone passes our quality evaluation and the customer doesn't proceed to purchase.

If the stone doesn't pass our quality evaluation, we refund the shipping charges to the customer. If it passes and the customer proceeds with the purchase, the shipping charges don't apply (since we absorb them as part of the sale) and are credited toward the stone purchase.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allison D.|1297283564|2847875 said:
Stone-cold11|1297265848|2847592 said:
EDT:

Just wanted to clarify that what Stone's referring to isn't actually a deposit; it's prepayment of round-trip shipping charges, which will apply ONLY if the stone passes our quality evaluation and the customer doesn't proceed to purchase.

If the stone doesn't pass our quality evaluation, we refund the shipping charges to the customer. If it passes and the customer proceeds with the purchase, the shipping charges don't apply (since we absorb them as part of the sale) and are credited toward the stone purchase.

Thanks for that Allison!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results