shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Choose a New Rolex!

liz

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies, I have inherited a 1986 Lady Datejust Chevrolet Diamond Jubilee watch from my grandmother. It's 26mm, 18K yellow gold with diamond markers and a Chevy logo face (no box or papers). I would wear it, but I prefer 31 mm and stainless steel or two-tone (I don't wear much yellow gold). I have other heirlooms from my grandmother that I wear and love (including my engagement ring diamond), but I know I won't wear this one.

I've decided to trade it in to my local AD for a Rolex I will wear. I've narrowed it down to two: a 31mm two-tone (SS/YG) Datejust with fluted bezel, roman numerals, and a white face, or a 31mm stainless steel Datejust with smooth bezel, roman numerals, and a salmon pink face. My jewelry is almost exclusively platinum, white gold, and silver, but I'd like to start collecting some yellow gold in the future, so I'm leaning toward the TT. I would love to have the SS with diamond markers, but the only one the AD has in the store has the Rolex logo face, and I'm not crazy about it.

Between these two, which would you choose?

chevy_rolex.jpg

ss_rolex.jpg

tt_rolex.jpg

liz

Rough_Rock
So after another phone call to my AD, I've eliminated the TT and added another SS. Now it's between these three (all are midsize 31mm with jubilee bracelet):

1. Stainless steel, smooth bezel, salmon pink dial, roman markers: the AD will give me $1,200 cash back on this one.

2. Stainless steel, smooth bezel, black MOP dial, roman markers: this will probably be an even trade, but I'm waiting on the numbers.

3. Stainless steel, WG fluted bezel, salmon pink dial, diamond markers: I will owe about $1,500 on this one.

My favorite combo would be the black MOP dial with diamond markers, but it's too over budget for me. I'm leaning toward the pink dial with diamonds, but I had really hoped for an even exchange. Should I splurge for the diamonds anyway?

I love the of the black MOP, but I'm afraid it will be hard to read with the silver roman numerals. Has anyone seen this watch in person?

Thanks for your help!

pink_diamonds.jpg

black_mop.jpg

ss_0.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #1

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
i love the first gold one. its gorgeous!

liz

Rough_Rock
hippi_pixi|1380893963|3532029 said:
i love the first gold one. its gorgeous!

The gold one is the one I want to trade. I hate the Chevy face, and I prefer midsize and stainless steel.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My preference would be for the salmon face with diamonds. The look gorgeous without being over-the-top. The diamonds are insanely sparkly and glow under absolutely all lightning conditions ( and they do not get dirty ;))

I am not a fan of the dark MOP face, as I feel that one can get tired of that rather quickly. The only MOP that I really love is the old plain Gold Dust face (white, yellow or rose gold sprayed over white MOP face). It would result in the general effect of a plain face with occasional MOP fire once the lightning is just right. This face is disontinued now (current ones have heavy patterning on those and do not qualify as "timeless classic"). However you might want to inquire with your AD whether they still get one for you from the old stock somewhere.

In case you feel that a diamond face would be to high invest for now, I wanted to mention that with Rolex you can purchase a diamond face separately as they are interchangeable in Datejust. E.g. you could simply postpone this decision.
Nowadays when you buy a normal face with indexes, Rolex forces you to give them back the old face, but this is not the case when purchasing a diamond face (at least in Europe)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
sorry :nono:

i should have read more thoroughly. i was also blinded by gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results