shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a diamond please!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're both pretty decent in my opinion - both look clean, the first might have a touch of stria but it doesn't look very obvious.

To my eyes, on this screen, they look to have a touch of tint from the side - but then they are I colour, so that is expected.

Is one calling to you more than the other? Ultimately it is your eyes that have to be happy :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another option.

2.5 carats

My initial response was a 'Definite No' due to the shallow crown and shallow pavilion but the HCA score for it is surprising low (IMO):

Cut Advisor Score 2.8

FactorGrade
Light Return:Good
Fire:Very Good
Scintillation:Very Good
Spread:Excellent
HCA Score :2.8 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right
Looks Like size (Beta)

Probably sparkles OK and looks bigger than usual for its carat weight. If the HCA is less than 2.5, and you can see good Hearts and Arrows, it can be a nice diamond. Confirm with Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser.

Diamond Stats
Carat:2.5
Depth:58.4
Table:62
Crown:32.3
Pavillion:40.2
Symmetry:Excellent
Measurements:8.81x8.84x5.15
GIA/AGS report #

I think you can do a lot better than this stone, either way - if my understanding is correct it risks being leaky (due to the shallow pavilion) and suffering from excess obstruction/darkness (due to the shallow/shallow combo, I think?).

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
My initial response was a 'Definite No' due to the shallow crown and shallow pavilion but the HCA score for it is surprising low (IMO):

Cut Advisor Score 2.8

FactorGrade
Light Return:Good
Fire:Very Good
Scintillation:Very Good
Spread:Excellent
HCA Score :2.8 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right
Looks Like size (Beta)

Probably sparkles OK and looks bigger than usual for its carat weight. If the HCA is less than 2.5, and you can see good Hearts and Arrows, it can be a nice diamond. Confirm with Ideal-scope, ASET scope or send to an appraiser.

Diamond Stats
Carat:2.5
Depth:58.4
Table:62
Crown:32.3
Pavillion:40.2
Symmetry:Excellent
Measurements:8.81x8.84x5.15
GIA/AGS report #

I think you can do a lot better than this stone, either way - if my understanding is correct it risks being leaky (due to the shallow pavilion) and suffering from excess obstruction/darkness (due to the shallow/shallow combo, I think?).
Yes you’re right. Thank you!

mwilliamanderson

Shiny_Rock

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I like one better than two going by the numbers. The I color in that size does make me a little nervous, unless you are used to a warmer diamond. Can you see them loose before you commit to one?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I like one better than two going by the numbers. The I color in that size does make me a little nervous, unless you are used to a warmer diamond. Can you see them loose before you commit to one?
I'm not sure if I can or not but now I'm working with a vendor who is helping me and giving me advice. He knows diamonds way better than me! I actually LOVE warm diamonds. Not yellow but not icy white either. I just do not like icy white diamonds very much!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure if I can or not but now I'm working with a vendor who is helping me and giving me advice. He knows diamonds way better than me! I actually LOVE warm diamonds. Not yellow but not icy white either. I just do not like icy white diamonds very much!
I’m glad you like warm diamonds- gives you a nice budget to focus on size. That being said, I’d still request to see them in person before committing- if I recall correctly many lab diamonds have a brown instead of yellow undertone. I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with it, but it may be more obvious in person and it may be nice to see the diamond in some different lighting situations to make sure you are happy with it.
I like warm diamonds- I have an R color AVR, but when I ordered a J colored lab diamond, I found it to be very tinted in some lights.

Last edited:

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I’m glad you like warm diamonds- gives you a nice budget to use in size that being said, I’d still request to see them in person before committing- if I recall correctly many lab diamonds have a brown instead of yellow undertone, and I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with it, but it may be more
Obvious in person and it may be good to see the diamond in some different lighting situations to make sure you are good with it.
I like warm diamonds- I have an R color AVR, but when I ordered a J colored lab diamond, I found it to be very tinted in some lights.
That is good to know!!! I do want it to be returnable for sure! Rhino with August Vintage/ Distinctive Gems is the one helping me and I trust him to guide me in the right direction!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    Fabulous 5 Carat Emerald Cut and More!
    Fabulous 5 Carat Emerald Cut and More!
    Stunning Engagement Ring Upgrade
    Stunning Engagement Ring Upgrade

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.