shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me articulate what may be throwing me off about this ring...

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
I have always wanted a 5 stone, graduated AVC band. I just got my ring from David Klass in the mail today, and it feels off to me for some reason? It's the exact setting I asked for... but on my finger, it lacks a clean, balanced aesthetic though, and it's hard for me to verbalize why? I think it's the symmetry of the ring, and possibly, the center stone leaning slightly to the right with the way that it is set? But, I can't quite articulate it, and I am hoping others, with a more objective and/or expert eye, can help . I'm including some pics I took, as well as some of the pics David Klass sent me before he shipped the ring. It looks symmetrical in his images ... so is this all in my head from over analyzing it? Something else?

DKPV2021___10__12____71713____71713-4.jpg

DKPV2021___10__12____71713____71713-5 (1).jpg

DKPV2021___10__12____71713____71713 (1).jpg

IMG_8825.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful and don't really see what you are seeing as far as being off and leaning. And a 5 stone AVC is something I'd love to have, so congratulations for that. Can you circle where you see the leaning? I do think that the prongs between the center and first sides seem to be reflecting a lot and it's hard to see what is reflection or something else. I'm not sure what you mean by "clean, balanced" setting. Do the prongs bother you because they change the flow a bit? Would bezels have been better for you? Or do you think that the proportions of the sides don't flow the way you wanted with the center? I think those are both personal taste and nothing else. Just asking because I don't see what you see, so just guessing, but I'm probably not the most discerning. Others are much better at picking these types of things up.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see anything wrong with it in these photos. I actually think it's outrageously beautiful!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
photos of it on your finger? I don’t see anything amiss and it’s gorgeous.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do these two have puffier crowns?
AF1777AA-0CFA-41BC-9B99-87244A468604.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well those are the diamonds, not the setting. I thought you were asking about the setting. Do you mean puffier crowns than the other three stones?

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
More pics: it's most noticeable to me on my finger (it fits fine but it's easier to see this way). I have tried to box one of the areas that I think may be the source? Again it's hard for me to pinpoint/verbalize it exactly.

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg

1.png

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, the blue is on a photo which probably has prong reflections. I don't see that on the photo with it on your finger. I'm guessing you don't think you see it on both sides, but only one. Were the sides custom cut to particular dimensions? If not, do they have the exact same dimensions? If not, then may be slightly different which is not atypical. But I still don't see what your issue is when I look at it on your finger.

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
I wonder if the prong reflections are just really throwing me off like people are suggesting. I do see them reflecting quite a bit, both in person and in pics. The stones were custom cut and are the same dimensions. The center stone is on the larger side for a graduated ring, but I did choose the proportions (after immense debate). Maybe I should have gone a simpler setting or made it a 3-stone ring instead. Hmm.

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
After you pointed out I do see it... the right side is angled up and the left side is leaning down.
I've had some issues with David Klass's workmanship before.. for example, my side stones were not bezeled the same way. I think he uses different benches so workmanship could be inconsistent.

Also, I think that the prongs are rather big for this band... I think if they were a bit daintier it would look 'neater'

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes it is an extremely beautiful well-crafted 5-stone cushion diamond ring.

I will say, in terms of the graduation, the two outer pairs have a slight graduation in size, and the graduation from the inner pair to the center stone is larger ... because of the sizes of the diamonds you have ... not because of anything wrong in the setting ... but perhaps that is what your eye is picking up on ... the graduation discontinuity (is this a thing)?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think the problem is the center stone is cocked at a slight angle (angles towards the right). It throws off the balance to my eye. Do you think that could be what’s bothering you?

Other than that, I think this ring is freaking gorgeous! :kiss2:

4E774A5A-D3F0-483C-9994-08E4E34168BE.jpeg 53F4B2CA-60FC-485E-8FBB-36BF90AE27FE.jpeg

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
After you pointed out I do see it... the right side is angled up and the left side is leaning down.
I've had some issues with David Klass's workmanship before.. for example, my side stones were not bezeled the same way. I think he uses different benches so workmanship could be inconsistent.

Also, I think that the prongs are rather big for this band... I think if they were a bit daintier it would look 'neater'

Oh my gosh you nailed it! The angles are different on each side and that's what has been niggling at me! I agree re daintier prongs (and I recognize that I may have made it challenging to accommodate those with my setting choice).

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
i think the problem is the center stone is cocked at a slight angle (angles towards the right). It throws off the balance to my eye. Do you think that could be what’s bothering you?

4E774A5A-D3F0-483C-9994-08E4E34168BE.jpeg 53F4B2CA-60FC-485E-8FBB-36BF90AE27FE.jpeg

Yes - I thought it was leaning slightly off center too and mentioned that in my original post! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it b/c I was starting to feel crazy!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful and harmonious thing! Now I know what I want!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree the center stone is off by a hair

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - I thought it was leaning slightly off center too and mentioned that in my original post! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it b/c I was starting to feel crazy!

I noticed it immediately. You’re not crazy, you just have a keen eye. :lol:

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh you nailed it! The angles are different on each side and that's what has been niggling at me! I agree re daintier prongs (and I recognize that I may have made it challenging to accommodate those with my setting choice).
He can make them daintier for sure when you send the ring back to adjust... I don't think it's going to be a lot of work for him

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
He can make them daintier for sure when you send the ring back to adjust... I don't think it's going to be a lot of work for him

I am glad is a quick fix b/c I hate sending items back and feel like a burden, especially for something minute as off center by 1 to 2 degrees that most people would most likely never notice, much less bother addressing.

I initially liked the idea of a bit more pronounced graduation, but maybe others are right that it part of the issue is that the graduation is throwing off the whole aesthetic... in which case that is clearly a me issue and has nothing to do with the setting or his work.

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
I feel bad about asking someone to fix something... but I feel even worse knowing that something isn't perfect because I know that it will always bother me. DK stands by his product and he will work with you to fix until you are happy.

IMO, it's not the graduation, it's the setting. It feels like it's too big for the size of the stones or something... the prongs and the angles seem a bit off to me

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
I feel bad about asking someone to fix something... but I feel even worse knowing that something isn't perfect because I know that it will always bother me. DK stands by his product and he will work with you to fix until you are happy.

IMO, it's not the graduation, it's the setting. It feels like it's too big for the size of the stones or something... the prongs and the angles seem a bit off to me

This exactly! I know I will obsess over what is bothering me about it instead of enjoying it. Prongs/angles makes me feel better - I think the graduation is a personal choice, and I recognize most would have gone w/ a smaller center, but I felt like this combo looked best w/ size 4.5 and let me enjoy the AVC facets.

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
Morning perspective. I still feel crazy. But, I think it's something about the varying thickness and/or different prong angles that are also contributing to the asymmetry. For example, on the adjacent stones next to the center, because the prongs are at different angles, they look like they have different lengths. Thoughts? It's hard to get good pics w/out the prong shadows, sigh.

The best way I can describe it is the prongs look like they make a 'V' shape in some corners where adjacent stones meet, but not in other corners (for ex, in the top panel, it looks like a 'V' between center and adjacent stone at the top but not the bottom prong intersections, whereas in the bottom panel pic, it looks like a 'V' at the bottom but not the top prong intersections).

I feel horrible and like I am being really nitpicky to me, but the lack of symmetry is really obvious to me on my finger. =(

B819DD02-9878-4465-8EC2-B7A8C60B9151.jpg

2.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones were custom cut and are the same dimensions.
Do all 5 stones have the same table and crown %?

I don’t know if that may have caused some issues with what way the prongs
point.
I do know if you look at three stone settings -especially squarish stones -
With the sides at a tilt
What you are seeing in the symmetry of the prongs isn’t uncommon. The elongated claws exaggerate it. I can’t answer as to the fix. Or the wrongness. I don’t know.
JMO of course.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you turn it upside down is it different? I used to think the stones on my eternity band were bigger on the right but they are exactly the same. The eye plays a trick because you see more of the right since it’s on the left hand. Moved to the right hand the left stones look a bit bigger.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
I think overall your ring is beautiful. The one thing I see in the blue rectangular boxes in your last post is that upper prong extending from the main stone to the first graduating stone is visibly longer and bigger on the bottom pic (right side) than the comparison pic directly above it (left side). I could be wrong though.:confused: I do hope this whole thing works out for you!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Morning perspective. I still feel crazy. But, I think it's something about the varying thickness and/or different prong angles that are also contributing to the asymmetry. For example, on the adjacent stones next to the center, because the prongs are at different angles, they look like they have different lengths. Thoughts? It's hard to get good pics w/out the prong shadows, sigh.

The best way I can describe it is the prongs look like they make a 'V' shape in some corners where adjacent stones meet, but not in other corners (for ex, in the top panel, it looks like a 'V' between center and adjacent stone at the top but not the bottom prong intersections, whereas in the bottom panel pic, it looks like a 'V' at the bottom but not the top prong intersections).

I feel horrible and like I am being really nitpicky to me, but the lack of symmetry is really obvious to me on my finger. =(

B819DD02-9878-4465-8EC2-B7A8C60B9151.jpg

2.png

I hope you can figure it out and get it fixed. All I can say is that I have a diamond cluster ring and "something" is "off" from one side to the other. It bothers me so much that I never wear the ring. I would keep trying to get it right or you won't be happy with your new treasure.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I instantly see that the center stone, or the prongs are set crookedly

obx_marina

Rough_Rock
I hope you can figure it out and get it fixed. All I can say is that I have a diamond cluster ring and "something" is "off" from one side to the other. It bothers me so much that I never wear the ring. I would keep trying to get it right or you won't be happy with your new treasure.

Yes, I know it will be the same for me! I will say MAJOR PROPS to David Klass and his team - I reached out to share my concerns and received a near instant reply that he would be willing to change anything I wanted. It is my first time working with him, and I will say that level of service alone is greatly appreciated and speaks volumes!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results