shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! London?!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
This has to be quick because LO is hungry. . .

DH is in the very early stages of talking about a possible relocation with his company to London.

Even though it''s just talking, I wanted to do some research so if the salary question comes up, he has an answer.

It''s just me, DH and our 3 month old son. A 1 bed is ok, but 2 would be better, obviously.

The job would be off the Bank stop from looking at the map.

I know that there is council tax and the public transit options are quite a bit more expensive than what we''re used to in Boston.

Any ideas for some cheaper living options? DH has school loans up the wazoo and I''m a stay at home Mum (which is really important to us).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 6:39:49 PM
Author:cellososweet
This has to be quick because LO is hungry. . .

DH is in the very early stages of talking about a possible relocation with his company to London.

Even though it''s just talking, I wanted to do some research so if the salary question comes up, he has an answer.

It''s just me, DH and our 3 month old son. A 1 bed is ok, but 2 would be better, obviously.

The job would be off the Bank stop from looking at the map.

I know that there is council tax and the public transit options are quite a bit more expensive than what we''re used to in Boston.

Any ideas for some cheaper living options? DH has school loans up the wazoo and I''m a stay at home Mum (which is really important to us).
Cello, I live in London and it''s expensive living near the centre.

To give you an idea, I own a 2 bed property near London Bridge which is not one of the ''super'' desirable areas but is up-and-coming. It''s on a council estate - I think you call them welfare projects in the USA - and is about 600 sq ft. The monthly rent is $1300 and that doesn''t include bills, council tax or service charges. That''s a pretty average rent.

If you''re on FB, give me a shout and I''ll see what I can up with idea-wise, can also advise on areas and anything else you might need. London is a great place to live and fantastic for kids - there''s so much to do.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pandora! I actually don''t use facebook for anything other than keeping up with my family overseas, so I''m horrible at finding people.

We''re looking for a neighborhood that isn''t too expensive but is good for children. I''d love to get something that''s less than 1000 GBP but I know that might be hard. We won''t have a car and don''t want to have one. I loathe cars and driving in every way.

What''s your take on public transit? We''re from Boston and have the T (subway), commuter rail and bus service. All this tube, rail, DLR, bus, etc. is a little overwhelming and it looks so expensive compared to our transit systems.

Would it be in our best interest to try and get a tiny place closer to the job or a bigger place far out? With public transit costs, I''m not sure.

Any neighborhood suggestions?

Oy!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 5:14:19 PM
Author: cellososweet
Hi Pandora! I actually don't use facebook for anything other than keeping up with my family overseas, so I'm horrible at finding people.

We're looking for a neighborhood that isn't too expensive but is good for children. I'd love to get something that's less than 1000 GBP but I know that might be hard. We won't have a car and don't want to have one. I loathe cars and driving in every way.

What's your take on public transit? We're from Boston and have the T (subway), commuter rail and bus service. All this tube, rail, DLR, bus, etc. is a little overwhelming and it looks so expensive compared to our transit systems.

Would it be in our best interest to try and get a tiny place closer to the job or a bigger place far out? With public transit costs, I'm not sure.

Oy!
I would like to recommend the area I currently live in (the other property is one that we own but rent out) which is called Rotherhithe. One of the reasons we chose it is because it's great for kids and although very central it doesn't feel like 'inner city'. It's very open with lots of green spaces.

To give you an idea... within 5 minutes walk of my house we have a nature reserve where Daisy and I go to feed the ducks and swans; a park with a brand new children's playground; a city farm which is beautifully kept with loads of animals to look at plus eggs, meat and milk to buy; and lots of lovely walks along the river. There's a big watersports school in one of the docks and straight across the river (or one stop on the tube) is Canary Wharf which is one of the main financial districts, is super-new, has a great shopping centre and there are great restaurants and pubs in the area, and one stop on the tube is the main children's theatre in London - the Unicorn plus Borough Market which is the most famous Farmer's Market in London.

It's also a really safe area and in the catchment area for one of the best main hospitals - Guys & St Thomas and the Evelina children's hospital - in the UK.

The public transport is excellent - I use the buses and tube all the time. I'm in Zone 2 and a weekly pass costs £25.50 which gives you unlimited travel on buses, tubes and inner London trains. Transport is actually very easy once you get used to it, but living on a reliable tube line really helps! Mine is the Jubilee - one of the newest and best - I can be in the heart of London in under 6 minutes on the tube. From my front door to Bank would take me about 20 minutes tops - and that includes waiting for a bus! Once the Rotherhithe tube station reopens in a few months it will be 3 stops to Bank with one line change.

I HATE long commutes and trains are really expensive plus you still need to pay for transport in London so an added cost. I've had a look online and you could definitely get something really nice with one bedroom for £1k and possibly two bedrooms in my area. If you only want 1 bedroom you could even get something either on the river or one of the docks for £1k.

The area is a bit of a secret still - I have friends who live in super expensive areas in North London who have come round and been amazed by the area - and so prices are very reasonable. However it's more of an area for those who are after a quieter more family-type life. If you want bars, clubs and a big city feel then you won't get it here.

We put loads of research into finding an area that was great for kids, affordable and as close to the centre as possible and this was the best we could find... there are places on the Northern line that are cheapish, and south of London Bridge, but I wouldn't personally want to live in them, and north of London Bridge you have areas like Islington which are very popular but wouldn't get much in your budget.

Hope that gives you some help - if you want to suggest other areas you are looking at I can give you a brief rundown!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
cello: i transferred to London from Boston, although that was 10 years ago. London is far more expensive, rents are in line or more expensive than NYC and just general cost of living (transport, taxis, food, entertainment) is much more expensive than Boston.

Of course like any major city you can find a living situation that suits your budget but you may have to look in less central neigborhoods and compromise (further commute, etc.) or outside of London. I know that people lived in Islington and around East London (near the Docklands) for more reasonable housing within London, but I'm things might've changed since when I was there.

I guess the questions I would have is does the relocation include a package? Adjustment for cost of living? Do they cover any expenses? They did in my case and that is key. And depending on the company, they will often help you relocate, point you in right direction. But I have no idea what field your husband is in or the package so it's kind of hard to provide much more specific feedback.

I do love London though..and those were some of the best years of my life!!!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh Pandora, that sounds really promising! Actually, the job looks like it''ll be in the Canary Wharf office afterall, so this is even more promising!

What is this council tax thing? What''s it for and how much is it in your area? (I take it that it''s a different amount in different areas?)

Thank you so much!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 11:42:04 PM
Oooh Pandora, that sounds really promising! Actually, the job looks like it''ll be in the Canary Wharf office afterall, so this is even more promising!

What is this council tax thing? What''s it for and how much is it in your area? (I take it that it''s a different amount in different areas?)

Thank you so much!!!
If he''s in the Canary Wharf office, round here is definitely the best place - it''s cheaper and I think much nicer than the other side of the river.

Council tax pays for things like schools, rubbish collection, road repairs, health services, social care and all other local services - basically everything except gas, electricity, water and other household bills. It''s based on the value of the property and is on a banding scale - I''ll check how much ours is, I think around £1,300 a year (you can pay in installments).

There are also service charges to take into account. Most London properties are lease-hold rather than free-hold so when you buy a property you actually just buy the use of it for 150 years or thereabouts rather than owning it outright. The landlord is responsible for upkeep of communal areas, gardens, repairs etc and so you pay a portion of this every year. Different places have different prices. Ours in £1500 a year, but we have nice gardens and a lift (which needs servicing).

In general they are between £700 and £2500 depending on what you get. The lower end tends to be for ex-local authority properties (the property we rent out is one of these) managed by the local Council and the higher end for deluxe places with concierge, swimming pool, gym etc. ALWAYS ask how much the service charge is as it can add a lot on.

If you do decide to move here and you think this area looks right for you I''m very happy to advise you on nice and safe streets, apartment complexes etc

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 4:17:26 AM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 4/21/2010 5:14:19 PM
Hi Pandora! I actually don''t use facebook for anything other than keeping up with my family overseas, so I''m horrible at finding people.

We''re looking for a neighborhood that isn''t too expensive but is good for children. I''d love to get something that''s less than 1000 GBP but I know that might be hard. We won''t have a car and don''t want to have one. I loathe cars and driving in every way.

What''s your take on public transit? We''re from Boston and have the T (subway), commuter rail and bus service. All this tube, rail, DLR, bus, etc. is a little overwhelming and it looks so expensive compared to our transit systems.

Would it be in our best interest to try and get a tiny place closer to the job or a bigger place far out? With public transit costs, I''m not sure.

Oy!
I would like to recommend the area I currently live in (the other property is one that we own but rent out) which is called Rotherhithe. One of the reasons we chose it is because it''s great for kids and although very central it doesn''t feel like ''inner city''. It''s very open with lots of green spaces.

To give you an idea... within 5 minutes walk of my house we have a nature reserve where Daisy and I go to feed the ducks and swans; a park with a brand new children''s playground; a city farm which is beautifully kept with loads of animals to look at plus eggs, meat and milk to buy; and lots of lovely walks along the river. There''s a big watersports school in one of the docks and straight across the river (or one stop on the tube) is Canary Wharf which is one of the main financial districts, is super-new, has a great shopping centre and there are great restaurants and pubs in the area, and one stop on the tube is the main children''s theatre in London - the Unicorn plus Borough Market which is the most famous Farmer''s Market in London.

It''s also a really safe area and in the catchment area for one of the best main hospitals - Guys & St Thomas and the Evelina children''s hospital - in the UK.

The public transport is excellent - I use the buses and tube all the time. I''m in Zone 2 and a weekly pass costs £25.50 which gives you unlimited travel on buses, tubes and inner London trains. Transport is actually very easy once you get used to it, but living on a reliable tube line really helps! Mine is the Jubilee - one of the newest and best - I can be in the heart of London in under 6 minutes on the tube. From my front door to Bank would take me about 20 minutes tops - and that includes waiting for a bus! Once the Rotherhithe tube station reopens in a few months it will be 3 stops to Bank with one line change.

I HATE long commutes and trains are really expensive plus you still need to pay for transport in London so an added cost. I''ve had a look online and you could definitely get something really nice with one bedroom for £1k and possibly two bedrooms in my area. If you only want 1 bedroom you could even get something either on the river or one of the docks for £1k.

The area is a bit of a secret still - I have friends who live in super expensive areas in North London who have come round and been amazed by the area - and so prices are very reasonable. However it''s more of an area for those who are after a quieter more family-type life. If you want bars, clubs and a big city feel then you won''t get it here.

We put loads of research into finding an area that was great for kids, affordable and as close to the centre as possible and this was the best we could find... there are places on the Northern line that are cheapish, and south of London Bridge, but I wouldn''t personally want to live in them, and north of London Bridge you have areas like Islington which are very popular but wouldn''t get much in your budget.

Hope that gives you some help - if you want to suggest other areas you are looking at I can give you a brief rundown!
Sounds amazing- can O and I move here too?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
China - the more the merrier. Oh, and I''ll take you up on the child swap day!
9.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results