shape
carat
color
clarity

Help judge my new lab grown studs

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
I just bought my first pair of diamond studs (ever!) and I need help. I know that so many of the members of this forum are experts at judging diamonds and would love your opinions! I don't have access to all the tools at your disposal like HCA, ASET etc.

Also, these diamonds are very pretty to me but wondering if warmer diamonds would be more flattering on fair/warm skin?

Details below and trying to upload a photo...

Diamond 1
HPHT
IGI LG470145293
1.10 D SI1, Ideal cut
Polish
EXCELLENT​
Symmetry
EXCELLENT​
Measurements
6.73 - 6.76 x 3.97 mm​
Table Size
59.5%​
Crown Height
13% - 32.9°​
Pavilion Depth
42% - 40.1°​
Girdle Thickness
MEDIUM (FACETED)​
Culet
POINTED​
Total Depth
58.8%​
Fluorescence
NONE​
Diamond 2
HPHT
IGI LG470145290
1.09 D SI,1 Ideal cut

Additional Grading Information
Polish
EXCELLENT​
Symmetry
EXCELLENT​
Measurements
6.70 - 6.73 x 3.99 mm​
Table Size
59%​
Crown Height
13% - 32.9°​
Pavilion Depth
43% - 40.6°​
Girdle Thickness
THIN TO MEDIUM (FACETED)​
Culet
POINTED​
Total Depth
59.4%​
Fluorescence
NONE​

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
Attempting to get a photo uploaded...
1637294388429.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't like the first one. The second one does well on the HCA but only gets Very Good for light return. Personally, I'd prefer more balanced proportions rather than the shallow proportions that these have. If you provide a budget and minimum color requirement, we can help you find alternatives.

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
I really don't like the first one. The second one does well on the HCA but only gets Very Good for light return. Personally, I'd prefer more balanced proportions rather than the shallow proportions that these have. If you provide a budget and minimum color requirement, we can help you find alternatives.

These were ~$2k from Ritani so I would look for a similar price and I would like 1.5 - 2ct earrings that are set in platinum so probably a H color or better.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like there's a lot of warmth (brown undertone) and the diamonds are not D color, but it could also be the reflection. Check out Lightbox, you can buy loose stones and get them set in platinum!

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
I bought a Lightbox 2ct stone, and these studs from Ritani are much much better. They are crisp, clear and you can see a better cutting pattern. My Lightbox stone is a G-H per a gemologist's opinion.

The warmth is a reflection, I'll upload another view.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In my honest opinion... as soon as you put them in your ear, you will only view them at a distance. As soon as you actually start wearing them and they get just a little bit dirty you will never see the difference. IMHO excellent or a top vg cut, G/H color and vs2 is absolutely fine for studs. No point in paying for what you cant see... I am sorry if this offends anyone. To each their own. I just wanted to add my friendly 2c to put it in perspective.

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
I bought a Lightbox 2ct stone, and these studs from Ritani are much much better. They are crisp, clear and you can see a better cutting pattern. My Lightbox stone is a G-H per a gemologist's opinion.

The warmth is a reflection, I'll upload another view.

Hi Kim, Just trying to understand the difference between the two...Why don't you like the first one?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kim, Just trying to understand the difference between the two...Why don't you like the first one?

Its proportions are very shallow all around, and the depth is smaller than the table, leading to a very flat-looking diamond.

Maybe take a look at this pair:

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
Its proportions are very shallow all around, and the depth is smaller than the table, leading to a very flat-looking diamond.

Maybe take a look at this pair:

Thanks for help with the diamond search! I will probably ask them for photos, because there was only a video of one stone.

I'm also wondering if you could help me find a nice pair of emerald cut studs? What would you look for with emerald cuts? I would want them colorless to near colorless, eye clean and well cut 2 - 2.5 ctw.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for help with the diamond search! I will probably ask them for photos, because there was only a video of one stone.

I'm also wondering if you could help me find a nice pair of emerald cut studs? What would you look for with emerald cuts? I would want them colorless to near colorless, eye clean and well cut 2 - 2.5 ctw.

You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out.

I'm not very familiar with emerald cuts. I'd suggest starting a new thread for that search so that the experts can see your request in the title.

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out.

I'm not very familiar with emerald cuts. I'd suggest starting a new thread for that search so that the experts can see your request in the title.

Hi Kim- What do you think about this pair of rounds?

IGI LG400932132 and
IGI LG395961239

Thanks!!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kim- What do you think about this pair of rounds?

IGI LG400932132 and
IGI LG395961239

Thanks!!!

The cut seems decent on these, but the first one has a pretty big inclusion on the table, and the second one has strain lines. It's possible neither the inclusion or the strain lines would be visible to the naked eye, so if they have a good return policy, it could be worth ordering them to see in person. Are you okay with the color? These are quite a bit more tinted than what you were looking at previously, and IGI can be soft sometimes.

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
What I loved about these studs that I am now second-guessing is that there were super clear and are more sparkly than the Lightbox ones. (I bought both to compare, sigh)

I am buying these as a jewelry basic to go with other jewelry that I don't have coordinating items and don't plan to upgrade. So I want to make sure they are nice and I don't regret them.

What about these? Thanks for the guidance!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
What I loved about these studs that I am now second-guessing is that there were super clear and are more sparkly than the Lightbox ones. (I bought both to compare, sigh)

I am buying these as a jewelry basic to go with other jewelry that I don't have coordinating items and don't plan to upgrade. So I want to make sure they are nice and I don't regret them.

What about these? Thanks for the guidance!!

I like these better, but I am a fan of proportions and angles that would lean towards more fire...saves some money, as well.

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
I like these better, but I am a fan of proportions and angles that would lean towards more fire...saves some money, as well.

Thanks for the input! Are these that you recommend HCA excellent?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input! Are these that you recommend HCA excellent?

They should be since they fall within the PS recommended proportions ranges.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results