shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Issues with Harry Winston repair, need advice.

md74

Rough_Rock
I am having a terrible time getting my wedding ring fixed my Harry Winston. They stretched it during a repair, and it was too big for me when I picked it up from repair!

My wedding ring, which was also my wedding gift from my husband, is a Harry Winston flex ring. It was purchased in 2005, and has been worn since we got married in 2006. I wear it on my right hand (we were married in the Greek church), and I wear my engagement ring and a plain wedding band on my left hand.

The ring broke while I was on vacation in Florida in February. One of the connections severed. I looked down, and the ring was on the floor.

When I brought it in for repair, the SA asked me what size it had been at purchase. I couldn't remember. So he sized my finger at a (generous) 6. Then he found the information in the computer that the ring had been a 5 1/4 at purchase.

When I went to pick the ring up after this repair for the broken connection, it had stretched and was too big! The ring was bought as a 5 1/4, but being flexible and somewhat wide, it was expected to stretch and was known to fit differently. We know that the ring was measuring as a size 6 at a repair in 2010 for the inner ID tag to be replaced (it had broken).

First the SA tried to say that maybe my finger had shrunk, and I should wait for summer. The ring flew off my hand across the room when I shook my hand. So my husband went in and talked to the head of customer relations, with whom I later met along with one of their jewelers. The jeweler finally measured the ring, and it measured, according to him, between a 7 and a 7 1/4. He said there as no way the ring could have stretched that much. The head of client relations insisted that they could not admit that it happened during repair, because she hadn't witnessed the ring on my finger before the repair. She asked whether I wanted to have sizing bars put in or the ring completely remade. The jeweler said to make it a 5.25 or even a 6, stones (all of which had been in the ring since we bought it) would have to be taken OUT.

So, my husband met with the head of the salon. She called me on the phone and spoke to me in a very not nice way, interrupting me and accusing me of crying on the phone (I was not crying), and pushed me to accept having sizing bars put in. She also told me this wasn't a ring that in her opinion should be worn every day (yet it was marketed by HW as a wedding or engagement ring when we bought it, and I was told when I dropped it off for repair that it as in good shape), and said I should disregard everything the jeweler had said, as he had no familiarity with the ring (the jeweler they had produced to be an authority).

Subsequently she asked us to come in and meet with the head of of the workshop. She and the head of the workshop were nicer than she had been on the phone. The head of the workshop said it was possible when the ring had been heated during repair that it had stretched. And they suggested I try the sizing bars. She informed us since the ring design had been discontinued, that there was no way to do anything else.

We were shocked when we came in next. They had put in seven very thick sizing bars, but the bars extend and connect to the very edge of the segment in each place they are attached, and they are 3 dimensional, more like a bridge, with space between them and the body of the ring, like this l}. The ring was now WAY too tight, gouging lines into my hand when I tried to put it on and take it off. It couldn't rotate on my hand, and it made some of the stones stick up and some lay down. The sizing bars could be seen from the side. So, they called the head of the workshop back over, and she said they would adjust it. I went in yesterday again (this has been going on for months) to pick up my wedding ring. And while it isn't quite as tight, it's still tight. The sizing bars are heavy and are visible from the side, and they bent the "platinum 950" tag which is now gouging into my finger when I try to wear it.

The ring is/was a beautiful delicate ring. I wore it every day for 12 + years without an issue. And now they have stretched it during a repair and now have put in LARGE sizing bars and completely changed the look and feel of the ring. We are naturally shocked and rather devastated to experience this at Harry Winston of all places. If anyone has any input/advice on this, we'd really appreciate it. I'm attaching photos of the outside and inside of the ring before they put in sizing bars and as it is now. The first two pictures are after they stretched the ring but before they put in sizing bars. The second two are the ring on my finger now and the inside with the large sizing bars.

Thanks HW1.jpg HW2.jpg HW3.jpg HW4.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the issue to corporate. Let them know you’re aware of the high quality reputation H.W. has and that you know the treatment you and your ring are receiving at your local branch aren’t a good reflection of the brand. Give them a chance to make it right.

md74

Rough_Rock
I would take the issue to corporate. Let them know you’re aware of the high quality reputation H.W. has and that you know the treatment you and your ring are receiving at your local branch aren’t a good reflection of the brand. Give them a chance to make it right.

Thanks for your advice. We had been thinking in this direction. It is very hard to tell at this point who exactly at corporate to go to and how to find them. I am sure there was a huge change after the Swatch takeover. Do you have any advice on how I find who to go to at corporate? I have looked, but I haven't been able to find this yet.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently had a similar situation with Brooks Brothers. Yelped about it and received above and beyond treatment to make it right, and mine wasn’t anything near as bad as yours (just an inexcusably rude salesperson). If mine was like yours I would have started at corporate too.

md74

Rough_Rock
I recently had a similar situation with Brooks Brothers. Yelped about it and received above and beyond treatment to make it right, and mine wasn’t anything near as bad as yours (just an inexcusably rude salesperson). If mine was like yours I would have started at corporate too.
Thank you. Yes, we have been appalled by the whole situation.

Thanks

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very sorry!!!! Should never have happened. Hope a good solution comes. If not for anniversary get a new band from PS vendor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results