shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in deciding which stone to go with

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

webby

Rough_Rock

Hello,

I''m new to this forum but researched alot of postings here for couple of days now. I''m in a quest of shopping for an engagement ring and came across these two stones and would like to get some opinions on which one will be a better one to go.

Round brilliant - GIA
1.03 ct
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluroescence: None
Measurement: 6.43 - 6.46 x 4.03mm
Depth% 62.5
Table% 57
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion angle: 41.2
Girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick (faceted)
Price: $6600

Round brilliant - GIA
1.03 ct
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluroescence: None
Measurement: 6.44 - 6.46 x 4.01mm
Depth% 62.2
Table% 57
Crown angle: 35
Pavillion angle: 41
Girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick (4%) faceted
Price: $6270

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Diamond Consultant

Rough_Rock
Hi Webby,

I''m in the industry, and I suggest that you go with the F-color, VS2. The two most important C-s are Color & Cut. The Carat is also important, but it is based on your budget range. Clarity is not that important visually. In fact, with the naked eye, you can''t tell the difference between an SI1 or a VVS1. You can tell the difference between an H-color diamond, and an F-color diamond.

I can see that you have already chosen a Triple Excellent Cut. The cut is very important because it is the only thing that humans can affect. The cut is a reflection of how well the diamond cutter did his job. It is the art of the diamond.

*Most importantly, the Cut determines how the Diamond will Sparkle! That''s what they are made to do, right? Sparkle.

So to the naked eye, Color and Cut is what will make your diamond stand out. You can sacrifice Clarity all the way down to "SI1" without reducing the appearance of the diamond at all. This can save you money, and you can even go for a bigger diamond. If you want a VS1-VS2 for symbolism purposes, then go for it.

My recommendation is get a 1.15 Carat Round Brilliant, D color, SI1 clarity, GIA certified, Triple Excellent Cut for around $6,175 including tax. Or a 1.02 Carat Round Brilliant, E color, VS2 clarity, GIA certified, Triple Excellent Cut for around 6,300 including tax.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Christian

webby

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help.
The more I research, it seems like the cut grade is very important and was searching for diamonds with all "excellent" rating in the GIA report. Quick question....would I be OK with "very good" in cut, polish, and symmetry?

Also, I''m shopping online (ie. Blue nile, James Allen) and would they be able to provide me the ideal scope image if requested?

Thank you all for your help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 8:51:06 AM
Author: webby
Thank you everyone for your help.
The more I research, it seems like the cut grade is very important and was searching for diamonds with all ''excellent'' rating in the GIA report. Quick question....would I be OK with ''very good'' in cut, polish, and symmetry?

Also, I''m shopping online (ie. Blue nile, James Allen) and would they be able to provide me the ideal scope image if requested?

Thank you all for your help.
Rather than go by cut grades, evaluate all the proportions of each diamond, we can always help you with this if you provide the link. Some GIA Very Good cut grade diamonds might be fine but we would need a specific example, don''t go by such labels as used by vendors, they don''t mean anything necessarily.

BN will not provide any additional info on their diamonds, JA will provide photos and Idealscope. Some of the others like highperformancediamonds, Whiteflash etc will provide ASET as well as the above.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results