shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in Choosing Side Stones

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of searching for 2 old european cut diamonds to use as side stones for a 3-stone ring. My center stone is a very bright L color. The lowest color I've been able to find in price range so far is I. I've actually purchased a couple, but am thinking they may not work, so I would like to get your opinions on whether these two are a match as side stones (or not...LOL). Also, if anyone knows where I can find a matched pair of OEC's/OMC's in J-K-L-M colors, will you please let me know that also? Thanks in advance everyone. :wacko:

ETA: links to the two I bought...
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/jewlery_detail.php?id=35&page=1

and
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/jewlery_detail.php?id=41&page=1

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I would look to buy a pair of antique studs, or an old 20s/30s ring of the type that has two stones set in a rectangular setting. There are usually some around on eBay - although I am not sure if the colour would be low enough.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of those is not round. You need to match the diameters very closely. Can you not ask OWD to find two that match for you? Since you want really small stones, I am thinking it will be hard to find a pair of studs for this purpose, but that is a great idea in general.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have to say they dont look like that good of a match too me. I know you are not going to find identical twins...so
its a matter of how well do they have to match? I really like the .18. For some reason, on the penny view there seems
to be a pretty good size difference (even though the numbers arent that far off).

Have you talk to the people at OWD and asked if they can match a pair up for you?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah - I have to agree w/ tyty, I don't think I'd be happy with those as a matched pair for sidestones - there's very little space separating them, so any differences will be easy enough to spot, and because a ring is inherently detailed on such a small scale - people will be specifically looking at the nuances, I think. For earrings I'd have said they look fantastic though!

Ditto why not talk to OWD and see if they can find a better match for you?

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I'll definitely be contacting OWD to see if we can't find a better match.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results